1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turner, Smith take blame for Bolts' bungling start

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Nick Canepa
    Monday, October 18, 2010 at 5:37 p.m.

Norv Turner has been Chargers head coach for 60 games. There have been some terrific highs, and some lows Jules Verne couldn’t have imagined. But there’s been nothing on Turner’s résumé to match Sunday’s calamity vs. the one-horned Rams.
    Surely, there have been greater disappointments than the humiliating Beat Me in St. Louis . The playoff loss to the Jets. The January asphyxiations in Pittsburgh and New England. But this, this was a total defeat to a bad team, so it wasn’t just one football engine that failed, as special teams did in the three previous crashes. All three did.
    “I think you’re right,” Turner says.
    And no one is more surprised, not only at the team’s 2-4 start, but how it’s played, than the coach.
    “Absolutely,” says Turner, which makes sense, in that he said going in this could be his best team.
    It isn’t. In so many ways it isn’t. And it’s reached the point where Turner isn’t passing the buck. It’s his problem.
    “I’ve never said expectations are too high, because they’re always too high,” he says. “Hey, I’m accountable, and you know how I feel about it — it’s all on me.”
    Everybody has an opinion as to what’s gone wrong. It’s Turner (it’s always Turner). It’s General Manager A.J. Smith missing on player evaluation (it’s always Smith, too, joined at the blame with Norv). It’s a lack of preparation.
    It’s a combination. As for preparation, I find it hard to believe this team went to St. Louis thinking it was going to kick a tomato can after its road performances in Kansas City, Seattle and Oakland. These players, these coaches, these football people, this ownership, couldn’t have gone to Missouri thinking they were too good to beat anybody. Could they?
    I don’t believe Turner has lost this locker room. His guys are playing, they’re just playing like crap.
    “There’s going to be nine million theories,” Turner says. “I’m not going to deal in generalities. It comes down to guys knowing what they’re doing and being accountable.”
    That must involve Norv and his staff, including defensive coordinator Ron Rivera , who didn’t gang up on the run late in St. Louis when people in Mongolia knew the Rams weren’t going to allow a rookie quarterback to screw things up near the end. It was awful defensive strategy.
    But the players also must be obligated. People say they were flat. Manure. You’re flat when you’re not good enough, when you’re not doing things right. This team wasn’t flat and hasn’t been flat. It’s been overrated, not good enough to beat clubs we all thought it would take with its junior varsity.
    “That’s what I’m talking about,” Turner says. “That’s the question (were you prepared?) you get. A lot of players executed exactly like we had in practice. We were prepared.”
    Some obviously were not. Reminds me of what John McKay said when asked in Tampa Bay what he thought of his team’s execution. “I’m in favor of it.”
    Wonder if they’ll be prepared when New England comes to town this Sunday, signaling the end of the éclair portion of their schedule. They not only haven’t met a good team, they have yet to play a terrific quarterback. That ends with Tom Brady.
    So, so, so many different things have gone wrong. But it’s up to the players now. Turner insists it isn’t a leadership issue, and I don’t know if it is, either. They just aren’t good. They may not be panicking, but they are pressing.
    “I don’t see a sense of panic,” quarterback Philip Rivers says. But pressing? “A valid concern. We don’t need to press.”
    Meanwhile, the GM is posting blame on his own bulletin board.
    “I’m responsible for everything,” Smith says. “It’s my direction and plan I give to ownership. No question, it’s on me. It’s the general manager’s responsibility. With that, I’m extremely disappointed. We’re just not playing well, and I have to find answers as to why.
    “We say we’re going to fix it, but we’ve been saying it for a while, and meanwhile losses are piling up. If anybody else in our division was breaking out, we’d be in serious, serious trouble — and it appears we will be if we don’t straighten things out.
    “We have outstanding individual players and that’s good, but we’re not a complete team, and if you don’t have a complete team you’re not likely to win. I thought we would look like a playoff team, but that’s something we haven’t looked like.”
    According to Smith, all bodily functions have failed.
    “We talk about special teams, but it’s moving around a bit — we’re not making plays on offense or defense, either. Eventually, you run out of time. It’s not the case yet, but it soon will be.”
    The Chargers have bungled and stumbled through the bakery portion of their schedule. Now they’re walking into a butcher shop.
    The NFL’s carnivores, which the Chargers once were, will feast on the weak. Bad enough the vegans already have.

2. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    "we’re not a complete team"

YOU CAN SAY THAT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

RELEASE SUCKSTER DAVIS!!!!!
    SIGN VJ!!!!
    GET YOUR SPECIAL TEAMS AZZES TOGETHER!!!

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is their fault, too bad neither of them will be fired so we will continue with the mediocre performance until that happens

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I think Norv is a stubborn coach, one who won't accept that he could be failing to inspire/motivate the team in general. He won't accept that overpowering defenses with a long and relentless passing campaign, even when losing, is not managing to win games and may need to change. Norv is consistent. We went 13-3 with a balanced attack and WON close games, maybe THAT should be the consistency he's looking for. I can't explain special teams, can anyone?

As for AJ Smith, he's done it his way and this team has some great records/stats under his watch. He's brought in the playing talent, thinks he's brought in the coaching talent, and he ain't budging. If the team weren't actually winners, I'd say he should be on the hot seat but the team is good. Losing close games is more on coaches and individual problems,

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is debatable. His drafts have been poor since Buddy Nix left, and he hasn't hit on a single undrafted player since Nix left. Although it may just be coincidence, but when a teams scouting director leaves, and the drafts go from great to poor, It is a very reasonable believe that the scouting director had a lot of responsibility in those great drafts

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    AJ and Norv have taken the first step in trying to improve the club. Admitting blame for the chaos on the field is a good sign that change is in the air. I have found that when management owns up to the deficiencies in production, it's a sign that ownership is more concerned than sympathetic to what's happening. I just want to see positive steps at this point, firing everyone at this point puts everything behind in terms of time and direction.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and what good it will do by firing them right now? Who would replace them? How are they going to get "THEIR" system in place? How long would it take to remove Norv's playbook and get someone else in here and get everyone on the same page? It takes an entire off season to do that, it is impossible to do that in a week.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I just hope that Turner and co. are open to changing some things this weekend. If they're thinking that because the defense is no. 1 in the league and that it doesn't need to have a new plan for Bill Bellicheck's cunning Patriots, then they will be down by five touch downs by the half. If they think they can get away with the same high-powered offense they have had week in and week out, they will lose. If they don't have an answer for special teams, it's going to be hell.

This is probably the worst time to have to admit that things need to change but they've got to do it. Maybe they'll change it for the worst, maybe things will get better. The Patriots will not make it easy to convince yourself that you're making the right calls, but this is football and things happen. Changes in strategy are part of the strategy itself and this is no time to stick the LOSING game plan just because it's almost been ok. And has it? No, the Chargers have been shut out in the first 20 minutes repeatedly. This isn't working. Fix it!

9. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    A losing season isnt a big deal to these guys. They are running a business. Not a football team. Profits are still there. New fans are still wearing the brand colors. This can and will continue for a couple years, even with a team that is slowly dying off. They will ride the Philip Rivers era for as much profit as they can all the while never really attempting to do much more than that. It's been proven over and over again.

Release CC and keep Buster Davis?
    Haggle with Vj over 3mill and keep Buster Davis?
    Dont let KO catch any passes but keep Buster Davis?
    Keeping Hester?
    Drafting Buster Davis?
    Holding out your ProBowl Left Tackle just to sign him week 5?
    Talent walks, nothing fills the hole.
    Paying sproles 7 mill and drafting a 1st round RB to replace LT?

These are not moves to win a ring, they are just moves.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What good will it do to keep them? By getting rid of them, ownership is showing the fans that they listen. AJ and Norv are the basis of nearly every single bit of negative pub this team has had in the last few years. PR is a big issue for sports orgs, and this teams PR is terrible right now.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    YOu really have issues with Buster, huh? just kidding

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Oh look, Jim Rome is back. Troll.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Welcome back. Hope you can stay longer this time.

One question, why does your facebook have a Jets logo for the avatar?

14. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    My facebook?

To the topic -

Aj himself has said he is responsible. Thats a good place to start!

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Did Buster Davis do something to you the rest of us aren't aware of?

16. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    No, but you know that.

Buster Davis is the constant contradiction to many of the moves we have made.

You cant explain losing Chris Chambers, Vj and Kassim Osgood all the while this kid is still in a uni. Can you imagine our receiving core with Chambers still in place, Osgood still on ST's and running routes as our #3 or #4. Add Vj, Floyd and Legs and WOW. But....

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You do understand the reason KO left dont you?

18. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    We wouldnt throw him passes. And while I agree he wasnt capable of cracking the roster, the contradiction lies in that Buster Davis (worth way less to the team than KO) was groomed for 3 years just to be the #3 or 4 receiver (depending on what VJ does, not what BD does).

If I was the GM I would explained to KO how important this teams chances are. We needed him in phase 3. Give us 2-3 more years at a push, we'll work you in as a #3 or 4. Games we have won we will feature you. Give the kid something. Instead we played hardball and the team suffered. Time and time again this has played out.

We need a diplomat not a guard dog.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No, it is not that we did not throw him any passes. It was that the team made it clear, that if he wanted to be a receiver he would have to go elsewhere. So there would be no throwing it to KO as the #3 or #4. That was not an option.

20. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I would have made it an option. He was worth that as a ST's player. You cant justify letting him walk if you keep a guy like BD. Letting KO walk to keep VJ or Floyd makes sense. It's a tossup with Legs. Actually I'd still argue to keep KO over Legs. BD isnt even debatable.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You would have made it possible. Oh kay.

22. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I assume that ends this discussion. Since you havent made a case for BD yet.

It's common sense. Deal with someone like an adult and they will respond. Try to punk them and they will respond.

KO was asked if he regreted leaving SD. He laughed at the question. I dont think Cro, LT or KO regret leaving. Has to tell ya something.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not interested in discussing fantasy football. BD has a bigger up side as a WR than KO, as Leggs does. That is what you seem to fail to see.

24. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    If you say so. After 4 years and nothing proved but upside. KO didnt need upside. He was already a proven ST's pro bowler. People in SD loved him. You cant possibly be saying that BD is better for this team than KO.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    You havent been following the Chargers long have you? Or do you just make up scenarios to fit your perceptions of things?

The team WANTED KO to stay. They thought highly enough of KO to tell him that he would not get to play receiver on a regular basis for this team.

Your other assumptions are just that, assumptions. They are designed by you to fit your very skewed opinion of the team you claim to be a fan of.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    and who are you trying to make amends too? The fans? Hell, we cant sell out the stadium as it is. The media? Who cares what the media says. Next years fans, is there even going to be a next year? What good comes out of firing the head coach right now? We will still need a head coach, and now your going to need an offensive coordinator to boot. Throw a name out there. Marty? The same guy who cant win a playoff game. I am tired of wasting my money on playoff tickets with him. I need that money for Christmas shopping.

Throw a name out there of the head coach that you know will step right in and turn this around right now.

27. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Resorting to personal attacks.

GAME

OVER!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    LOL. What in that post did you take as a personal attack? That I disagreed with you? LOL!

29. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    GAME

OVER!

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    So you will not or can not answer the question?