1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turner thinks this season’s Chargers could be the best team he’s ever coached.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Optimistic outlook

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 38 minutes ago

6-11-2010

Turner thinks this season’s Chargers could be the best team he’s ever coached.

SAN DIEGO – Some of San Diego’s best players can crank up their stereos and get in a last offseason trip with a smile.
    Many of the veterans departed Chargers Park after Friday’s practice and won’t be expected back until the end of July.
    But the 13 voluntary, non-contact sessions in which they participated since May 18 showed Head Coach Norv Turner enough to garner a resounding endorsement.
    “We’ve had great offseasons around here the last three years and obviously long before I got here, but this by far is the best I’ve been around,” Turner said. “I would believe that this group has a chance to be the best team I’ve coached as a head coach.”
    San Diego can expect a lot of success if this team becomes Turner’s best.
    All three of his Chargers teams made the playoffs, including a 13-3 record last season and an 11-5 year in 2007 that included an AFC Championship appearance.
    But the coach on Friday sounded confident that this year’s version has the potential to become special.
    “We have a lot of work to do, but this is a talented group of guys. They’ve got an unbelievable work ethic,” Turner said. “I believe we’ll be bigger, we’ll be stronger and we’ll be faster than we’ve been since I’ve been here.
    “I think we have a chance to be one of the more physical teams in the league. We’re going to take a little break after next week, but I am really excited to get to camp and go do the work you have to do to become one of the best teams.”
    A few dozen players now will turn their attention to preparing their minds and bodies toward training camp. Turner expects about 45 players to practice next week during the team’s final four OTAs (Organized Team Activities), which conclude June 17. Then the calm before the storm will set upon Chargers Park.
    “Make sure you stay in shape and make sure you give your mind a rest,” Ian Scott[​IMG] said of the next several weeks.
    Said Steve Gregory[​IMG]: “Now it’s just maintaining your body. Staying in shape, staying flexible and all those things that can prepare you for the grind of the season. That’s what it’s all about now.
    “You know what the grind of a season is like and you have that knowledge of how to prepare your body for it. It’s time to get my body ready for camp.”

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    This sounds vaguely familiar.

3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    It might be the best he coached, but till i see them play, i think the '06 chargers are the best ive seen.granted im only 17

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Hey Norv define TEAM. They have not even played together yet. Maybe the best group of individuals but they have not been tested as a team yet.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Not without Vincent Jackson, will I buy it. Norv is talking, the media is hyping, same damn cycle every year.... F*** the off season.

6. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Ah... offseason hype. Still cool and refreshing after 40 years.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Norv Flavored Kool-Aid.

Drink it up baby. :bolt:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Unless some of these guys have been hanging with Morton Downey Jr., I will remain a tad skeptical of this particular claim.

9. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Let’s hope it is, because he’s undoubtedly coached some pretty talented teams, especially in Dallas! :yes:

10. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    The best team Norv ever coached was the one he took over from Marty Schott!!!

...actually scratch that...he never coached that team:no:, he only took it over..:icon_tease:

..so yeah...your right Norv this is the best team you've ever "coached" hehe lol:icon_rofl:

11. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Hahaha tell me about it.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    So, what you're saying is, Norv just stood idly by and let the team run themselves as they accomplished more in 2007 than Marty ever did with them?