1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turner's truthiness led Osgood to bolt San Diego

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Tim Sullivan
    Monday, September 27, 2010 at 5:47 p.m.
    Norv Turner valued Kassim Osgood, but not enough to deceive him.

The Chargers’ coach was unwilling to promise what he refused to deliver, unwilling to promise Osgood a larger role as a receiver in order to keep him as a special teams star.
    Live long enough and you see everything, in this case a football coach too truthful for his own good.
    “There was one issue with Kassim and it was him wanting to be a starting receiver; that we make a commitment to (him) being a guy that’s going to be a part of our passing game,” Turner said Monday afternoon. “I wasn’t about to make that commitment and lie about it. I just wasn’t going to do that. And we’ve got guys in the passing game that are productive.”
    Three games deep in another dismal September, the Chargers have to wonder whether mollifying Osgood might have been the right move, for his absence from their kicking game appears to be catastrophic.
    The Chargers have lost two of the first three games of their post-Osgood era, and largely because of glaring, gaping and recurring holes in their coverage game. The two kickoffs Leon Washington turned into touchdowns Sunday in Seattle were one more than the Chargers allowed during Osgood’s three Pro Bowl seasons in San Diego, and the second and third scores against the Bolts’ special teams in 2010.
    You can’t assume Osgood would have plugged all of those holes, or that he would have personally prevented punter Mike Scifres’ three touchbacks in Kansas City — Scifres had only two touchbacks during the entire 2009 season — but it’s reasonable to ask whether allowing Osgood to leave indicates the Chargers pay more lip service to special teams than they do cash.
    Not so, Turner says.
    “I think when it’s broken down, we offered Kassim more money than he signed for (in Jacksonville),” Turner said. “I think that’s a decision that he made and there wasn’t a whole lot we could do about it.”
    What Turner didn’t say, but can easily be inferred, is that the Chargers viewed Osgood as a fourth-down role player who was ill-suited for broader responsibilities. Though his 108 receptions ranked second nationally in 2002, Osgood departed San Diego State as an undrafted free agent. He lacked both the breakaway speed that makes scouts salivate and the flypaper fingers coaches prize. Even after Osgood scored the game-winning touchdown in the Jaguars’ season opener, a Jacksonville columnist confessed he did not expect him to play a big part in the passing game because of his tendency to drop balls.
    The proof is in the passing. Osgood has made just two receptions in the Jaguars’ first three games, and was targeted only once among David Garrard’s 30 attempts Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles. If he’s become a bigger part of the passing game in Jacksonville, it’s a distinction without much difference.
    “Kassim is a great (special) teams guy who is able to go make plays,” Turner said. “In the passing game, obviously, he was behind four other guys. It’s hard to play a lot of people in the passing game.”
    Osgood caught 33 passes in his seven seasons with the Chargers, but only five over his last four years. Asked to compare Osgood’s pass-catching attributes to those of his other targets, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers took his default position, which is diplomacy.
    “Kassim was obviously a great, great player here for many years,” Rivers said. “(But) you look at our receiving corps and it’s a pretty good group, a pretty impressive group. For me to evaluate where he was — he was the fifth guy for whatever it was, five years. I had faith in him when he was in there.”
    On the day the Chargers announced they were severing ties to Osgood in March, I asked General Manager A.J. Smith a series of redundant questions about why such a move was necessary; why the team would choose not to leave open the possibility of reconciliation. Finally, Smith responded with a Socratic question about Osgood’s options with other teams. Two days later, Osgood signed with Jacksonville.
    The Chargers’ position would seem to suggest that Kassim Osgood illustrates Dr. Laurence J. Peter’s eponymous principle that “in a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to their level of incompetence.” Maybe so. Still, if Osgood’s opinion of his abilities exceeds reality, what he does best is what the Chargers are doing worst.
    Maybe he can’t catch a cold, but he might have caught Leon Washington.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Some guys you just gotta let go. He was NEVER gonna be a a big part of our O, and that was that. He wanted a larger role so he left. Now he's in Jax doing the same damn thing he was doing here, NOT being a receiver and playing ST.

:icon_shrug:

3. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I understand and can appreciate KO's want to be a starter........ but at some point you have to realize that you aren't going to get to that level. So, just stay where you are and do what you can do. I wonder if he's regretting the decision. I also have to give credit to the chargers and norv for not lying to him. That's good in my book.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Once he learns how to catch the ball, they will improve his playing time.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Well he did at least catch his first game winning TD.

Best part about that OP was the first line.

The Chargers’ coach was unwilling to promise what he refused to deliver, unwilling to promise Osgood a larger role as a receiver in order to keep him as a special teams star.

Im glad he stood his ground. VJ also at the time did the same lvl of quality job as a blocker as KO. He was expendable AND he wanted what wasnt available here. Hope he still can get it in JAX.

Speakin of JAX and KO, JAGS jus signed the recently cut from BUF Trent Edwards. He could be a good improvement from what they have in rag tags over there in JAX.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Edwards sucks. He has Drew Bledsoe Statue disease.

7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Kassim had it so good here. I wish he would have appreciated it. The Bolts actually offered him more dough than J'ville. He just couldn't give up that dream of being a receiver. So instead of being a special teams star on a contender, he's now a special teams star on a mediocre team. But he may get 10 plays a game at receiver. Yippee. And he has to live in FL instead of CA.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have yet to see since Drew any player that had HumanStatueDisease as bad as drew. And yea he is better than what they got. Gerrard is deffinatly out. Cmon up till now the only WR weapons BUF has had for Trent is Rosco Parrish and Lee Evans. Both are bout 2nd and 3rd receivers. NOT a #1 in sight. And Lynch as his primary back has not done enuff with the gaps in time whrer Lynch was out for various reasons or injury. It is too soon to close the book on Trent. As is the same for alot of QBs in PRs generation.

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Chargers should have found a way to get Kassim involved the passing game. The Bolts screwed the pooch on this one. Norv is an idiot.

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I certainly can't begrudge KO for leaving. He really thinks he has the skills to be a starting WR in the NFL. Even if he took less money I'm sure the presumption was that, if he could prove himself as a WR, he would stand to make a good deal more money in the future. I have a hard time criticizing someone for sacrificing to pursue a promotion.

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hindsight and all but given what transpired with jackoffson, he might be wishin he was back in Bolt Blue.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    He had been given opportunities in 03, 04, 05, 06 to show he could actually be a receiver and he showed time and time again he was not that capable. I at least admire Norv Turner for telling the truth and being straight with KO, as opposed to lying like alot of people would

13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    how come Osgood is not a starting receiver in Jacksonville?

Becuase he cant catch