1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Turning point...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ntman68, Jan 7, 2008.

1. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I have not been the biggest Norv fan since his hire, and though I have kept most of my feelings to myself, I have had serious reservations. I have watched all of his post-game press conferences and have never come away with a sense that the team was in good hands.

Until Sunday.

Watching the presser after Sundays victory, I was shocked to discover an overwhelming sense of comfort in his words. It hit me that this guy is like some sort of football Maharishi. Someone posted an article earlier that mentioned his OCD-like memorization of opponents and plays, but hearing him quote detailed plays from the game, including down, yardage, personnel, etc. was impressive. I know it's his job, but this guys keeps that stuff rolling around in his melon.

So consider me a Norv convert. I am now convinced that Norv is the right man to take this team as far as they can go this season and for several more seasons in the future.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Norv doesn't get a pass from me.

Not yet

I've all the arguments for and against.

I want a Lombardi, as a long time fan, I'm entitled!!!!

If he brings it, then he'll get a pass. But otherwise he better be watchin his SIX!!!

:tup::tup::tup:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    A pass, I don't think so

A pat on the back and a congratulation, hell yeah

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    There were a couple times in the game where Norv showed just how on the ball he was. The one that really impressed me was when we challenged the call at the half yard line. Norv had decided to challenge it when there was 30 seconds left on the play clock, and he milked the clock all the way down before tossing out the challenge flag. It was funny to watch the offensive players freaking out yelling at him to throw the challenge flag. Norv just help up his hand like, "I got this." He knew exactly what he was doing, even if it took everyone else a bit longer to figure it out. It's a perfect example of how Norv is always two steps ahead mentally. He doesn't miss a thing.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Well Said!!!! :tup:

We get a Super Bowl title, I don't care who gets the credit!!!
    It's our title!!!! :bolt:

6. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He is like a football idiot savant...

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree. I'm not a convert YET, but if we hold up the Lombardi, I'm in man. I may even give him props for beating the Colts if we do. I will admit Norv has done an admirable job at this point. At 1-3, I (and many of you all) were ready to ship this guy out of town on the next boat out. But him and the team managed to right the ship, and do something Marty wasn't able to do in his 5 years here and that's to win one freakin playoff game. But I want more, much more. Can we do it? I think we can, but we will have to play a lot better than we did yesterday to beat the Colts and even move on. The Tits were one thing, the Colts are a totally different animal. Norv and the boys must bring their "A" game to Indy to pull that one out!

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Now it's a FACT:

NORV > marty

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It was good to see rational, well-thought out decisions coming from the HC during a playoff game for a change. I'm still not 100% sold on Norv or Teddy, but it's getting closer all of the time. :unsure:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes: and it makes me laugh every time I think about it.

Marty is sitting at home right now piissed as hell that AJ not only shipped his aass out the door, but also got a fat contract extension as well as the playoff win that Marty couldn't deliver.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't put that playoff loss last year all on Marty... but the way that sour old bastard orchestrated his firing and tried to play the victim card was just pathetic.

If this team beats Indy... the pundits will be lining up to blow AJ. :lol:

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :icon_rofl:

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Getting that first playoff win was a huge obstacle. Even if we don't beat Indy it removes the cloud over this team that they can't win a playoff game.

Just an example:
    It took Peyton his 4th try before he finally won his first playoff game, he then won his 2nd game before losing, next year he won another playoff game, the year after they lost to the SB champs, then finally he broke through for the SB win.

But after getting that playoff win he went 7-3 in the playoffs (0-3 before), it wasn't too long ago when Peyton was considered a playoff choker, people don't say that about him anymore.

Winning that first playoff game is a huge hurdle, and this young Chargers team finally got over it.

13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    on the challenge, Norv probably knew that it wasn't a TD but a review takes longer than a normal timeout so if he was going to take a TO anyway (with a critical play coming up a good bet) he probably figured WTH let's challenge, get a long TO and maybe they reverse the call :icon_shrug:

14. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I just can't tell you how f'n happy and pumped I was he actually went for the kill on the 1.

Marty kicks the FG no questions about it and we're all here today flooding the boards w/ pissing and moaning about how in the fuk the Titans came back on us in the 4th on a game winning drive.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    It was a gutsy call when I would've kicked the field goal

16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Seriously. You have LT and you need 1/2 a yard to end the Titans season. Go for it, you still have a 4 pt lead and they are pinned on the 1/2 line against our D.

When the jugular is exposed STAB IT! NO BRAINER IMO

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    At first I was like WTF!! did he just pull a Marty?? Then I regrouped & realized that it was really a good decision, especially in how he worked the clock. Marty would have spazzed out in the same situation.

In the not so distant past, if I had been given the choice between Marty or Norv as our HC for another playoff game, I think I would have preferred a lobotomy. :lol:

Thanks for being better than a lobotomy, Norv. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    That might be but almost half of LTs carries before then were for no yards or negative yards.
    Kick the field goal and the worse case scenario is the Titans score a TD and we're tied. Don't get any points and a TD puts them ahead.

Never leave points on the field man

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree with you, if LT can't get half a yard to win a playoff game then they have no business being in the playoffs to begin with

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Are you wearing Marty-Approved Diapers??? :icon_shrug::lol:

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah, I have to say... kicking the field goal on the first 4th and short was a no-brainer as we had no points at the time, but you have to be able to get that 1/2 yard in the playoffs.

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    STOP TALKING ABOUT ME!:icon_evil:

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The defense held them scoreless after their second field goal. Wouldn't have made any difference, but I loved the touch down just on general principles.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

or a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

Nails post !

It was refreshing to see a coach who had his thoughts and actions under control in a playoff game.

Seeing Marty ride his pants six inches above his waist while clenching his sphincter muscles tighter as the game progressed just made the team and fans more nervous than they already were.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    But you still want him fired, right, cuz nonea the players listen to him, right??

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...while still throwing Norv under the bus :yes:

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Of the same mind :icon_rofl:

29. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    There was no chance in hell that Young leads the Titans on a 99 1/2 yard drive for a TD. I liked the decision, even when it was under review I would've felt pretty good had the TD been overturned.

Kicking the field goal gives momentum to the other side, then there's the chance of a long run back on the ensuing KO.

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    then when each is finished they can do a little side step and drop down again for Norv. :lol: