1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

TV blackout looming over Chargers fans.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That was the headlines last season just before the opening game, and the problem Charger fans faced in the early years of the new century. The Charger teams were at times good, at times bad, but lacking in consistency. There was a time when the Chargers had a ticket guarantee with the city to ensure the home audience got to see all the games. This of course lead to much gnashing of teeth and shaking of fists between the city and the team.

Just last season, we were talking about the real possibility that the home opener would be blacked out as 3,000 tickets remained to be sold just hours before the TV black black out time limit. Chargers Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg was quoted in the SDUT as saying “The odds of this game being sold out, it's probably not going to happen,”, and went on to say "Those people counting on watching it on TV, it's probably not going to happen.

This was after the Green Bay preseason game was blacked out to the local populous. Not very surprising seeing how it is a preseason game where the starting offensive unit would see less than a quarters game. That was then.

This is now.

There is a fresh sense of excitement in the air going into the 2007 season, the Chargers are coming off of their best season statistically, we start out playing the defending NFC champions then get to take a shot at the hated Patriots who were the recipients of the worst played Charger game of the ’06 season. Fans are excited, there is a buzz in the air as Training Camp is set to open. That buzz has turned into a win fall for the San Diego Chargers, as fans have responded to the team, the consistency and the possibilities. For the first time in recent memory the San Diego Chargers have sold out the entire season’s games.

This has never occurred before the opening of Training Camp that I can recall, if it has ever happened this early at all. Fans are responding, new jerseys are popping up on people all over the nation. Fans are ready, there is a high expectation for this team. I believe the players have high expectation fr themselves as well.

The offensive unit is reportedly excited of the new hooks that the new head Coach has put in. The Defensive unit is reportedly happy with their new coaching staff. Fan forums are buzzing with predictions, statements of expectations and talk of a Lombardi Trophy residing in San Diego.

We all know it is a long road, a road this team is capable of running. And now, with the sell out of all the games, a road that every fan will be able to watch, be it from the seats in the stadiums, at a sports bar with friends, or from the recliner in front of the TV. We will all see the Bolts, new uniforms and all as they make a run for the post season.

Do not forget that each Sunday, BoltTalk will have a game day thread, to discuss the game as it progresses.

2. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    Just call Norv "Captain Hook!"

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Why, isnt Scarface more appropriate?:icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  4. super_deluxe

super_deluxe World Class

Ratings:
    +46
    Just don't let him look at the game clock :no:

5. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

Frakkin'-A, w00t! I was wondering if you folks did the game-thread thing here. Koolness. :tup:

6. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Game day threads are a bummer for me, since I can't be here for the home games. However, I will be much happier AT the games than sitting at home. :yes:

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You make it when you can all are welcome.

8. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
  9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
  10. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Their winning and they just came out with (ugly) new threads. This shouldn't be a surprise.

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Still don't like the new jerseys, do you? :icon_tease:

12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I just can't get there. Man, I wish I could, but they just blow so badly.:mad:

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Brother Kev some of these loons will rack up 100 posts in a game day thread. many of us have our own superstitions associated with it. its kind of like a virtual sports bar when i'm home with the kid.:icon_toast: look forward to seeing you in there:abq1: :icon_toast:

14. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    While I would be inclined to agree with you, what matters to me the most, is that the team and record don't reflect the personal feelings had about the uni's. I think winning will cure my distaste for them.

15. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

That's where I got most of my post count in the other forum as well. Lot's of "YES!!! L.T.!!!" and "MERRI-MONSTER!!!!"

As far as superstistions, all I have to say is: CUJO! :lol:

16 days... I'm goin' nuts!:abq1:

16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Of course I'm gonna care way more about that stuff than the unis. I just won't be buying any, any there will be a bad taste in my mouth because of them. Again, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the unis we had, and there was absolutely no reason to change them.

17. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    This site also has a chat function, which has been used in the past during games. I don't know if it is still used for that purpose though.

18. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Well, people wouldn't be able to pad that way! :abq2:

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Lighten up, you old coot. Change is a part of life.

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I have absolutely no problem with change, if it's for the better. Change for the sake of change, that is worse, and propped up be a real flimsy reason, that I don't like.

And I am only 43, so I'm not that old a coot. I just know what I like, and what I think sucks.

21. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I thought you were much older, for some reason.

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'd like 'em better if they were electric blue. I'll hold my opinion until game time. I'm thinking that come December no one will give a pile of barahuma one way or the other. If we're carping about unis then, I'll be in the market for Zanax.

23. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    After looking through the TC photos, they are growing on me for sure.

24. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Don't be so down on yourself....:icon_tease: