1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

TV blackouts looming?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Bill Johnston
    Posted Aug 5, 2009

Charger fans have become used to seeing all of the team's sold-out home games on TV. Now, because of the national economic crisis, this all may be about to change.

In the past, the Chargers’ success on the field – only three teams have won more games over the past five seasons – has led to strong ticket sales and the lifting of the local television blackout for the past 39 consecutive regular-season and postseason games.

However, the team's fans are now feeling the pinch of today’s tough economic times.

“Right now we still have both season tickets and single-game tickets available,” said Jim Steeg, the Chargers’ chief operating officer. “We have a lot of tickets to sell for all of our games, and these are better seats than we’ve had available in recent years."

With seats still available for every game, there is now the chance that home games will be blacked out. NFL policy states that games must be sold out 72 hours prior to kickoff for the games to be televised live in the local market. The Chargers have not had a game blacked out since the 2006 preseason.

“Yes, local television blackouts are a definite possibility,” said Steeg. “Our goal right now is to make everyone aware that tickets are still available and that, at this point at least, blackouts are likely.

"It appears that both preseason home games (against Seattle and San Francisco) will be blacked out. Hopefully the knowledge that most home games likely will not be shown locally will spur additional fans to join us at the stadium. Our players want to play in a full stadium, and we want all of our fans to be able to watch all of our games on TV.”

Steeg added the Chargers are in the midst of one of their most aggressive sales efforts to date.

“The current economic climate has caused us to think outside the box and pull out all the stops,” said the veteran NFL executive. “We didn’t raise prices this season to make sure our prices are near the NFL average. In fact we lowered the price on a number of tickets when we increased the size of our family section. We’ve made our payment terms more flexible. We initiated our individual-game sale earlier than in the past in an effort to spark sales. We have tried different approaches to reaching fans throughout Southern California other than traditional advertising. We aggressively reached out to and renewed many former season ticket holders who had not renewed in the past couple of years.”

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/tv-blackouts-looming/1c7c6be6-af9c-4ed7-b576-a23018534bd8

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    NFL Ticket, baby. 3K away & all the Chargers you want on Sunday. :abq1:

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I feel a "you're not a real fan if you don't go to the game" debate comming :icon_eek:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll take on that fight. Geography does not the fan make. :tup:

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    nor current financial situation :unsure:

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :popcorn:

7. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Tons of tickets have been sold.... problem is.... not many tix together. They need to figure out a way to sale those single seats that remain for some kind of discount.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Amen. I've got both to the hilt, & still coming out for the home opener. :icon_toast:

9. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    get to M-4 Buck be looking for ya!

10. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    All the stops except lowering prices. I find this insulting.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    There are plenty of people not renewing and it isn't related to the state of the team. It really is the economy.

The week after I made the last payment on my seats, my wife was laid off. Too late to turn back then, but if she was laid off before I had to make the first payment, I probably would have to give up the seats I've had for 10 years.

The pre-season games not selling out isn't a surprise. I think the opener will sell out if there are less than 3000 seats left as the station who shows the game locally (CBS 8) will make up that cost in ad revenue.

After that, who knows.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Cause nobody cares about preseason. I have some friends in Encinitas who have been season ticket holders for almost 20 years and they don't bother making the trip to preseason games.

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

DING DING DING We have a winner!!! I don't see how anyone could be blamed for not wanting to pay for a preseason game.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Being a season ticket holder, we do not have a choice on this.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly. I go because I live in OB... so it's conveinent. Not to mention, that I spend most of the second half in Murphy's.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll be roaming, so I'll swing thru. :icon_party:

17. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    The Chargers are not the only team that is going to have trouble selling out games this year. The economy has hit a bunch of people hard and I find it insulting that if the games do not sell out, because people can't afford to go, they get hit with a blackout also.

Yes the NFL packages for TV will help but how about the NFL taking a look at the blackout rules and lightening up a bit until people are working again.

There are baseball games on everyday with thousands of empty seasts in the parks.

People are hurting, how about giving them a chance to watch their favorite team on Sunday...

• Like Like x 1
  18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Thank God for the sports book.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I was thisclose to buying season tickets this year... but I just can't afford it. As much as I tried to convince myself I could make it work :lol:

I'd be interested to see just how many single seats are out there - maybe selling them at a discount really would be a good way to fill up the seats. I also agree that the NFL needs to lighten-up in these hard economic times and give fans a break on the black-out rules. When a game is 75-100/ticket, 25 for parking, 8 for a beer, 5 for a hot dog - that's 113/person for a game... :(

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Those will probably get sold closer to game time which is normally when those tickets really start moving. Just sounds like paranoia to get people to buy tickets like right now.

Come on, spanos needs a new pair of everything lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    And when you have a family of four... ugh. I'll keep my season seats for the Toreros and watch the Chargers on Sunday Ticket.

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I see your location is "the OC". Does that mean, Orange County?

If so, even with NFL Sunday ticket, all of socal (Orange County included) will still be blacked out.

23. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Yes, Orange County. Are you sure about that? We are in the LA TV market, not SD and I don't think LA is blacked out for Charger games.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    LA's TV stations do penetrate SD so LA will be part of that blackout. Orange & Riverside counties are considered part of the LA TV market, so they too will be blacked out as will Palm Springs.

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I do believe that Sunday Ticket is supposed to work even if it's blacked out... I mean... isn't that the point? Getting to see the games you want when they aren't regularly avail in your area? I know if they ARE televised locally then you don't get them on Sunday Ticket but... that would be super jacked up if you couldn't see them b/c of the black-out :p Hi wasted $250!

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If that was the case, everyone would buy the TV package and not go to the game. Blackout rules apply to everyone.

27. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    That's why I gave up the hot dogs. :lol:

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_rofl:

I'm just glad I have tickets and this issue doesn't apply to me. Such a bullshit rule.

29. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    No way man - Watching on TV is nothing like being there in person... plus if I'm willing to shell out $200-300 I'm going to GO to at least a few games vs. sit on my sofa :p

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    works for me but not so much for the local market