1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Two idiots that held up a game decision

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Who is the biggest idiot in this mess?

Poll closed Nov 25, 2007.
  1. San Diego mayor Jerry Sanders

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. Houston Texans owner Bob McNair

17 vote(s)
    73.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Pick the biggest idiot in the whole Chargers game announcement.

Up first .... Mayor Jerry Sanders.

Sanders never said anything about the Chargers in his briefing yesterday, only that Qualcomm would shut down as a shelter by noon today. I watched the whole OES news conference on Ch. 10's live stream and he never mentioned the Chargers or Qualcomm being ready to host a game this weekend. Yet, his office is trying to spin that he was talking about the Chargers.

NC Times story

Again, Sanders never said Qualcomm was available, he only said it would shut down as a shelter.

Who informed the Chargers "a half hour early" ??? The spokeman? The mayor? Anything in writing? The mayor half assed this thing, just to protect his backside and put the Chargers in position to take any heat if something doesn't go right this weekend. No mention was made at the OES conference of available police support for a Qualcomm game, or concerns over future fires, or air quality issues.

That's because the Chargers were "confused" by the mayor's statements that had no clarity, and lacked specifics.

Sanders press release - TODAY, from Chargers.com.

Statement from San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders

That is what Sanders should have done yesterday.

I can't find anything on the City of San Diego press release link. You'd think the City of San Diego would post this press release, but it isn't on their website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Idiot #2 - Houston Texans owner Bob McNair.

Qualcomm Stadium available for Sunday, mayor's office tells paper - ESPN.com

Link to source story - KRIV FOX 26 Houston

He should have just shut his mouth about "competitive disadvantage" talk. The Chargers haven't been able to use their own facility, and would have an even WORSE competitive disadvantage if the game had to be in Houston. First, they would have had one less home game, and the Chargers would have had to make a LONGER flight to Minnesota the following week.

McNair looks like a boob for even bringing this up.

There was an extra day of delay to get an announcement done on this game. McNair's negative comments about a Monday game (unless it's held in Houston, of course) are another factor in that delay. The Chargers stated the NFL was involved in this decision, and one wonders if McNair's public statements (as well as private ones to the Commishioner) influenced that delay.

McNair's whinings to the Houston FOX affiliate is part of what held up this decision. Why would he even bring up "other than Houston on a Monday night" ? That's straight SPIN from the Texans' owner making a pathetic attempt to steal a home game.

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    None of the above :tup:

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Hey, Bob McNair!! Get Bent!! :icon_finger:

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I votr for Mike Aguirre:yes:

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    McNair is a douche. His only statement regarding the game should have been:
    "Our hearts go out to the people of Southern California. As for the game, our team will be prepared when the time comes to play.:"

Talking about "competitive disadvantage" in having to fly out and play the Raiders on Sunday. What an fuggin' shiitbag.

A. The Raiders suck.

B. What? The Chargers aren't already suffering a HUGE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE???

:icon_wtf:

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Plus, the Chargers have to travel just as far next week to play the Vikings. Don't you think it's a bit more of a disadvantage to practice in AZ all week andplay a "home" game in an opponents stadium than it is to play a scheduled road game 24 hours later?

McNair is a douche.

7. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Agreed. He should have said the Texans would do whatever it takes to play .... time, date and location don't matter. Instead, he comes off looking like an insensitive *** hole.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Screw the whole lot of them.

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    short on biatchable material Dan....:lol:
    Sanders had to check for outstanding lawsuits - I'm with Lash - Vote Aquirre (not)...

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Yeah I'm a big Sanders supporter on this board, no question, but Sanders didn't have to technically close the Q as a shelter even with less tehn 500 people there. Once he realized how few were left, he declared the site to be close and with BYU/SDSU cancelled there was enough time for sure for the NFL to get its **** together.

You want someone to blame? THE NFL and the Chargers/Texans offices will be a good place to start

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't really care about blame. The game is gonna be played on Sunday at the Q. So there's really no problem.

I do, however, enjoy stating quite emphatically that :

McNair is a Douche!!! :yes:

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You should remove your tongue from betwixt Sanders' cheeks, Counselor. Sanders played a game of hot potato with this decision. His statements, until the last one, were convoluted. He could have handled the situation better.

13. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Some idiot Texans fan at Chargers.com questioned the local Houston FOX quote "because it wasn't in the Houston Chronicle."

From an article by John McClain (a very well respected writer) of the Houston Chronicle:

McNair shouldn't have been lobbying the NFL at all. He was part of the delay in this whole process. IMO, he comes off as petty and insensitive.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I'm always ready for a good bashing on some dikweed. :yes:

:flag:

15. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    For a lawyer wanna-be, you sure are short on logic, reasoning and explanations. Why blame the Chargers? Sanders wasn't clear at all in his briefing at OES yesterday, then left it to underlings to talk to the media, with no clear press release until today. The City controls the stadium, not the Chargers.

What did the Chargers "offices" do wrong?

16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah, Ant??? What the hell did my beloved Marsha do wrong??? :icon_shrug: :lol:

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Who cares about the briefing, the Chargers were informed and that was the purpose wasn't it?

I'm guessing the mayor informed the Chargers about it and that's all the Chargers needed to start things rolling to make sure they could play on Sunday.

18. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    McNair has a point. Only thing.... it's on his head. what a scumbag little whining beetch. what about the west coast teams that have to travel more than anybody? Ever hear them whining?

Go screw yourself you fart.

McNair is just a whining A-hole. Sanders is the big jackass here. The guy has proven that he's not a leader and this is just falling in line with his proven inability to lead.

It's just pretty amazing that these people are in charge.

19. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    They need every advantage they can get and they know it. :tup:

20. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    McNair is a whining b1tch!

How about all those games we had back to back to the East Coast in 2005 and against teams coming off of bye weeks.

Shut the hell up you douche and play the game!

Your team has never had a monday night game because you SUCK!!!!!!

21. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Well, all I know is on Thursday I was listening to Scott & B.R. when I heard a message from the mayor (or his office) that stated the Murph would be ready of the Chargers want to play in their home.
    So, in this case, I don't see how the mayor is an idiot...Then as I understand it, the Chargers took another day...just to make sure this place would be moving in the right direction by Saturday. Nope, I can't find anything idiotic about that either...man I can't vote.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Didn't vote, just glad that the situation got resolved correctly.

As for McNair - I'd never read any press about him before this, but his statements in this matter make me believe that he's a whining little punk-*** biotch. I hope he's at the Q on Sunday to witness the dismantling of the Texans by a REAL NFL team!! :bolt:

23. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Well the Texans would have to get into Oakland before the bullets start to fly around :icon_shrug: