1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Two pass rushers in this draft?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by gettough, Apr 11, 2012.

1. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    This Chargers mock draft has the Chargers picking Perry in the first round and another pass rusher in the third round, I'm not even going to try to spell the guy's name. If AJ does take two pass rushers that early, who would get the ax. Oh and is there much difference between Brandon Taylor and Harrison Smith when it comes to playing strong safety.

http://letsgosandiego.blogspot.com/2012/04/chargers-mock-draft-10.html

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I was arguing this reason to grab 2 pass rushers earlier funny that it was the same 2 players, I think with the addition of Nick Perry and Jonathan Massaquoi (Mass-a-kwy is how its pronounced) Laboy and maybe English would get cut, plus we have Phillips and Barnes FA next season which will put us in the same situation we're in as of now. If we don't get Smith Taylor is the next player I want. there is a slight drop off between the 2 but not much

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Taylor's not much in the way of upside, but he's got a fair floor to at least be a Kevin Ellison sort - and he was actually pretty effective till he decided to dabble in pharmaceutical acquisitions. The nice thing that Taylor's got going for him is program pedigree - LSU historically turns out technically clean defensive backs who can compete immediately. What Taylor lacks is any sort of high end athleticism - depending on how we use him this could be an issue (i.e. if we're asking him to line up over the top of TE's and shadow them fully through their route then we've got problems, if he's asked to shade down into the box and pick up transitioned coverage of the TE from a LB after the TE clears the flats, we're good.

You want a pure coverage SS, look to Christian Thompson from SC State - the guy can run with TE's for days, can lay the lumber on big hit, but he needs someone to stand over him with a stick and whack him every time he doesn't wrap when going for a tackle in practice (that's how badly his tackling fundamentals need to be overhauled - the guy doesn't even understand the basics of cutting a guys legs out from underneath him when you bury a shoulder into his gut).

I've soured on Massaquoi alot of late. There are better 'developmental' OLB's with higher ceilings and better athletic gifts that can be had a round or two later than he (Sammy Brown from Houston, Louis Nzegwu from Wisconsin, Braylon Broughton from TCU, I'm even starting to take a shine to vandy's Tim Fugger as a Day 3 guy - better athleticism than I initially thought and the guy works his tail off every second of every practice).