1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Two Plays where PR looked GREAT!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TBF, Nov 26, 2007.

1. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    NFL.com Video highlight of Bolts-Ravens game

Take a look at the video above. Pay special attention to the plays that take place at 1:03 in the video at 7:23 in the second quarter and the other play at 1:20 into the video that took place with 1:16 left in the second.

Both are passes to Gates. On both occasions, Rivers steps up into the pocket, mechanics look good and he throws off his front foot. Both balls are dead on accuarte and both balls resulted in a TD or First Down with tons of YAC.

This is the Rivers that was drafted high in the first down. This is the Rivers that won 14 games last year. These are signs of an improving Rivers. I cannot call his overall game "GREAT" due to him still spazzing a bit in the pocket. These two plays give me a ton of hope.

TBF

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'd call his game yesterday great. Just about every incompletion was Rivers smartly throwing it away or a receiver falling down. Rivers was great yesterday. He won that game with his superb play.

3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Excellent point. Too many people fail to realize that a ball thrown away at the right time is a good play.

4. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    He was taking some big hits, too.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hardwick probably gave him the boost, but it begins to look like maybe the game is slowing down for him, finally.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    TBF I was talking to another Chargers fan on the phone when the play happened with 1:16 left in the second and I was yelling at how he stepped-up in the pocket. :lol:

:bolt:

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers did some very good things yesterday and deserves props!

Some people are disregarding the win, saying the Ravens are not a good team. Same as when people disregarded the Indy win.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It appears our boy went from having Zero Pocket Presence to at least having 50% pocket presence!! WOOO HOOO!! Progress!!!! :lol:

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Good examples.

I am telling you when he uses proper mechanics he is money and has some real zip and accuracy. I was very encouraged on the few plays when he stepped back into the pocket towards the line of scrimmage like a real quarterback.

You can also still find several plays from the game where he is throwing off the wrong foot or made a 7 foot drop into a leaky 9 foot drop. He needs to focus on escaping towards line the line of scrimmage when pressured as you can still see his natural instinct is to backpedal. Typically only bad things come from backpedaling, especially if you also tend to throw off the right foot. Some of his completions were actually made this way. But they can also lead to "to the house" picks. One of the first downs to VJ was classic example.

This is why I actually blame his issues on the coaches. They should easily see this stuff, particularly the QB coach, and work with him to correct it.

Still say put a rock in his right shoe and put a mental wall behind him 8 yards deep.

Overall though encouraging.

10. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Definitely an encouraging game. I was glad to see that he looked less jumpy in the pocket, and no throws across his body. It helped on the TDs though that the Gates and Chambers were both wide open. However maybe this is the kind of game he needed to get rolling. I can only hope.

11. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Agree 100%...That is why I say his game wasn't great.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    When that happens, we'll have our All Pro QB back :yes:

13. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers needs to follow yesterday up by roasting the Chiefs and putting them on the draft clock. :yes: In fact (hey Chico) I'm sensing some good old-fashioned 2006 prison sex. :yes:

Fuc KC. We owe those fucers. :bolt:

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I dunno'bout alla y'all, but I was absolutely ecstatic over what I saw from Philip on Sunday, and hope to see more this Sunday at Arrowhead!! :yes: :tup: :flag: :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am elastic about what I saw too!:tup:

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Elastic ? Like Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four ? :icon_eek:

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh yeah!:abq1:

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wear one of those pretty pimp suits so we can pick you out on TV at the game! :lol: :icon_tease: :abq1:

But seriously, folks - PR did have a good game, & he proved once again that he's a very good QB with some bad habits that he easily falls into. He has to learn to focus more, calm down, & repeat the things that work well for him. And make good decisions - like he did against the Ravens. :tup: If he can do that, we'll scalp the Chiefs! :bolt:

19. LinksterAC

LinksterAC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    That was as good a defense as you're going to see this year. The Ravens stacked the box to shut down LT and rush the passer, asking Rivers to beat them like everyone else has. This time, he answered, in a big way.

The quarterback is the most important position on a football team, and the one that's been killing us all year. This type of game for Rivers, against that kind of defense, portends very good things for the Chargers the rest of the way.

20. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    PR looked good on a few other plays when he handed the ball off to LT.:yes:

21. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :blink: