1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Two questions about our WR needs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 18, 2007.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    1. Does anyone reading this think of Vincent Jackson as a possible deep threat?
    2. Does anyone think, regardless of the answer to #1, that AJ might be looking at Dwayne Jarrett?

All the comparissons to Mike Williams, I kinda thought about another guy who I might compare Jarrett to; decent guy came out a few years ago, definetely wasn't the fastest guy in the league and for that reason he dropped especially with teh burners in the draft. Also had a cocky attitude from a university that was known for producing cocky SOBs. But he was polished; he ran outstanding routes, he fought for the ball, he consistently got open and he was hard to bring down even after contact. But because of a lack of speed he fell to a team in the late first round with a great QB, a great coach and a veteran talented WR next to him. Today he's one of the best in the league.

Anyone know whom I'm talking about?

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    My guess is Boldin and no i dont think AJ is targeting Jarrett because he has a bad work ethic and doesnt have a good attitude .

• Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    1. Im not %100 confident in Vincent Jackson as our #1. He played a lot last year and only hauled in 27 catches. He also doesnt have great body control.

2. I dont think Dwayne Jarrett is even close in AJ scope. He's had questionable work ethic and is somewhat of a arrogant ***.

I just finished watching some of our game tapes of the 06' season and our WR problem popped out to me like never before! I didnt notice it too much during the season, but Rivers held the ball for 5+ seconds CONSTANTLY because he was waiting for guys to get open.
    And the result was some sacks that wern't the O-lines fault, and a lot of panic passes that missed the mark.

We desperatly need a big game WR, I hope AJ has a trick up his sleeve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Vincent Jackson is a deep threat, big play receiver. Of his 27 catches, 7 went for 20+ yards.

People say Jackson doesn't have great body control, and I guess it's because he didn't always attack the ball at it's highest point last year, or perhaps it's because he failed to drag his foot in the playoff game, but Jackson has fine body control. Go back and watch some of the catches he made, like the game winner against the Donkies. Jackson uses his body well to shield off defenders, and is tremendously athletic for a man his size. But like all young receivers, he has to be more consistent. I think another year in the offseason programs, under the tutelage of Lofton, will help him greatly.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So Ant... you're comparing Jarrett to Reggie Wayne?

Hmmm... OK. I'll go with it.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    VJ and MF are both deep threats.

They both provided us with good plays and deep gains last season. This is something that is shown on the field. So I doubt if someone is not 100% confident that AJ will do anything about it.

Just like is someone doesnt like the new HC AJ isnt going to lose any sleep.:lol:

7. stonuts

stonuts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    reggie wayne.

I'm not sure about the comparison, because from what I've heard Jarrett is supposed to have problems in the NFL getting separation. He also shouldn't need as much space being as big of a player as he is. From the few games I have seen, he uses his body well to shield off the defender. I'd like to see him in a chargers uni. It would be a tough for teams to match up with Jackson on one side, Jarrett on the other.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    yeah im' talking about reggie wayne, at the very least its an interesting comparison

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    If we're going WR from USC then we need Steve Smith, not Dwayne Jarrett.

10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Smith is not a real burner, I think too many people think of this Steve Smith as the same as Smith from hte Panthers and super-impose the Panthers Smith onto USC Smith. USC Smith has good speed and good route running but he doesn't strike me as any better then Eric Parker, if not a little worse.

The Jarrett thought, I watched NFL Live last night and these were some points being made on the show I thought were pretty valid and a way of looking at Jarrett i hadn't thought of before.

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    1. NO

2. NO

VJ is not a Number One WR right now. I have not shaken the feeling I get that this dude is a pusssy. He is hurt too often and always has "something" nagging and it ain't his chick. He boxes out defenders well and uses his body to make the most of his space to dominate.

When A.J. was faced with this problem, A.J. traded for McCardell who was a vested veteran. I suspect he is looking for a vet Numba' One WR dude to stretch some privates. :yes:

12. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    No but he is way faster than Jarrett. Hec Merriman is about as fast as Jarrett.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I watched pretty much every game Smith played at USC. While BMW and Jarrett we're making all the impossible catches and scoring TD Steve Smith was the sure handed guy Carson, Matt, and JD would go to when they needed a 1st. Dude is a great route runner, has great hands, and doens't have the ME FIRST thing BMW and DJ seem to have.

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    what you just described sounds too much like Eric Parker

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    So was Jerry Rice.

Game speed is all that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Ep is one of my favorite players on the team (well, up until the NE game), but I totally believe Smith would be an upgrade over EP.

17. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    thats what i was about to say.. one word jerry rice thats what everyone been saying about jarrett, but like they beens saying what can u say about 41 TD's in 3 years..pac 10 record by a land slide, he has a nack for the endzone like LT

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    not really, he sounds like almost the same player and i don't know why you'd spend a first rounder for a clone of one of your current WRs (be it Smith or Dwayne Bowe). If your going to get a new WR have him at least be somewhat unique or have a skill set the other receivers don't have.

19. ChargerDreamer

ChargerDreamer BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    VJ could be huge this year, given the #1 WR spot. I've been one of EPs biggest fans, but (and correct me if I'm wrong) he didnt get any TDs last year. Thats got me scratching my head a bit and thinking that he'd do better #3 behind whomever we draft early on.

20. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    I agree and Rice had good game speed and he ran hard all the time. Jarrett never looked fast to me and he was productive in college but he did that imo on athletic ability.

I dont see him getting by with that in the NFL and with a bad work ethic and his attitude, i dont see it happening.

Heres what im talking about:

A tremendous playmaker at the collegiate level, Jarrett is now being questioned about his ability to keep up that big-play style at the next level. Some have him rated as high as the draft's No. 2 receiver. Others are not impressed by his potential impact in the pros and feel he will slide greatly on draft day. Jarrett's issues revolve around his lack of ideal straight-line speed, questionable work habits and unwillingness to be coached. However, there is no doubting his production, size and keen ability to grab the ball at its highest point. He does well along the sidelines, looking to create space or coming back to the ball, and he has made smaller defenders pay on a consistent basis, but many of those jump ball or fade routes will not be so easy to achieve against NFL defenders.

Where he slacks off is when he is not the primary target. While his straight-line speed is average for his size and position, the failure to be overly flexible and to cut in and out on his routes is probably a more pressing issue.

Link to that info

21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    No offense BoltJolt but from what I've seen out of Jarrett in his years at USC one of his biggest positives is he cuts out of his breaks really fast, and that's one of hte reasons he gets open so much at USC. He's a very smooth route runner as long as he focuses, when he does those cuts are perfect and the CB just can't keep up with Jarrett. The laziness and the work ethic I've heard alot about and worries me.

22. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    We need speed! I said this before last season started and many thought I was crazy. Many thought we were set with the WR's we had. Guess again. We have a ton of size but no one with speed to get down field.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I really want Meachem, I think he's got a lot of upside. And he's supremly competitive and confident without being cocky.

But I'm curious about Sidney Rice too being the unsung hero of this draft, he might be a steal in the 2nd round.

24. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Isn't that more than two questions? :icon_shrug:

25. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I want whom ever AJ gets. I argued against his picks in the past and ended up eating the black bird of humility...

In AJ I trust (unless we are talkin coaches! :lol:)

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

And to add to that, Jerry Rice's work out habbits were inhuman!
    The guy was a freak in the weight room, where as Jarrett is exactly the opposite.

27. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    and the steal of the draft is........................... mike walker

28. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't really give a crap about what the numbers say but I'm not convinced that he is a deep threat. When I think deep threat, I think of a receiver that can create seperation and I just haven't felt he can do that .. I think Tony Martin and he doesn't have that kind of speed.

29. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    please read my post here..
    http://forums.bolttalk.net/showthread.php?t=7089&page=4

30. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I'm not "bashing" !!

I just don't think he is a #1 receiver. There is more to a #1 receiver than numbers.

Thank you for your numbers. But that is all they are.