1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tyronne Green no longer is a rookie in stature or experience

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 2 hours ago

8-7-2010

Both fans and the players relished FanFest at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday. The offense looked sharp from the start.

SAN DIEGO – Head Coach Norv Turner called it a rehearsal.

Ryan Mathews called it a chance to get comfortable.

The 9,500 fans that watched the Chargers practice at Qualcomm Stadium on Saturday called it fun.

Players signed autographs for 45 minutes and practiced for nearly two hours in one of the most fast-paced and competitive sessions of the week.

“Wednesday night it was great. Today was even better,” Turner said. “It’s great for our young players to get in this environment. It won’t prepare them for next Saturday night, but it gives them a little bit of a feel for it.”

Philip Rivers and the first offense pleased the crowd immediately as Darren Sproles and Antonio Gates marched the unit downfield. Gates finished a 64-yard two-minute drive with a touchdown as Rivers completed all five of his passes, then caught another with the remaining time.

Billy Volek then hit Seyi Ajirotutu in double coverage for a 45-yard touchdown.

“It was cool to make the catches, but it was still like a normal practice,” Ajirotutu said. “I’m becoming more comfortable with the quarterbacks. It’s a development phase, and we’ve had some pains. I’ve been dropping a couple of balls in practice, but today I was on the same page with the quarterbacks and I’m just glad to make some good plays.

“(FanFest) was a small glimpse of what things will be like next week.”

Mathews, who got some of the loudest cheers and most passionate autograph seekers, felt nervous during his first visit to Qualcomm Stadium on Wednesday but calmed down on the return trip.

“I think the more comfortable I feel out here, the better off it’s going to be,” Mathews said. It’s good to have so many people coming out to watch practice. This would be like a home game at Fresno State.

“I’m starting to get comfortable and relaxed and just play football. Do what I’m supposed to do.”

Asked what he’d do with Saturday night and Sunday free from practice, Mathews smiled.

“I’m going to sleep when I get home. I’m going to hibernate.”

HALL OF FAME: Emmitt Smith, former Cowboys running back, will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this weekend.

Turner was the offensive coordinator in Dallas from ’91 to ’93. Smith rushed for 4,762 yards and 39 touchdowns during those seasons.

“Emmitt’s one of the all-time greats,” Turner said. “To have been with him and been a part of that for three years, it was a great time and (the Hall of Fame) was very deserving for all three guys (Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin and Smith).”

GREEN NO MORE: Tyronne Green no longer is a rookie in stature or experience.

He’s practiced at every position this season and Saturday worked at left tackle with the first offense.

“He’s really a good young player. I’d like to lock him in and have him play in one spot,” Turner said. “But having a guy like that, a utility guy that can play all spots, it’s going to be really valuable for us during the season.”

Said Rivers: “He’s probably one of the most improved players on our team. He’s hungry, does what’s asked of him and he’s going to be a really good player.”

I hope this is true... :tup:

BOLTS: Nate Kaeding and Nick Novak made all eight of their field goal attempts … Darren Sproles hustled a kickoff return up the right sideline to the opponent’s 35-yard line … Gary Banks also caught a touchdown in tight coverage during the initial practice period, along with Gates and Ajirotutu.

PRACTICE WEATHER: Sunny, 73 degrees.

2. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah why not try the guy at LT, he is fast becoming one of my favorite players...I hope he plays his way into the starting lineup, maybe at RT? I know he was drafted to play inside, but I like that he is getting some reps outside at tackle, where we have the least depth. With Eyechart manning the inside at backup, we need someone to step up at tackle and this might be the guy.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Kinda reminds me of Scott Mrzucowski and frankly having him and Green gives us two guys who can basically play all over the line at a moment's notice. Now if McNeil returned and you add Dombrowski to that group, we have the deepest line in the NFL

4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Green shows versatility

By Christopher Smith
    Chargers.com
    8-9-2010

Second-year offensive lineman Tyronne Green has practiced at guard, center and both tackle positions this offseason. Now, due to minor injuries to other players, he’s working at left tackle.

SAN DIEGO – Even the NFL Network might have to take a few laps around the league to collect a handful of players that have done what Chargers offensive lineman Tyronne Green[​IMG] has done this offseason.

Green, a second-year player out of Auburn, has practiced at guard, center and both tackle positions.

The 6-foot-2, 316-pound college guard never had played center until this spring. However, Head Coach Norv Turner called him a player to watch before training camp, excited about Green’s versatility.

Now Green has spent a few practices with the first offense at left tackle while Brandyn Dombrowski[​IMG] and Tra Thomas[​IMG] nurse injuries.

“At first, a little mindblowing, but as the days go on you try to keep progressing at each one,” Green said of his frequent relocation. “If it comes up in the season and you’re in a backup role, you never know where you’ll get thrown in. The more versatile you are, the more it helps you and it helps the team.

“Rome wasn’t built overnight, so they don’t expect it to be a finished product right away, but I think they see potential in what I can be.”

The fourth-round pick played in four games last year and spent most of that time on special teams. A converted defensive tackle out of high school, Green again felt unsure of his responsibilities during his first NFL season.

“Coming in as a rookie, you’re in the phase of not knowing what’s going on, whereas when you were in college, you were probably (the) man. You could dominate guys. (Now) the best guy you played against the college, they’re like that all the way across the board,” Green said.

“It’s helped me go out and compete instead of looking like a chicken with my head cut off, running around like, ‘Oh man, who do I have? What’s going on?’ Knowing what’s going on gives you an edge and lets you compete.”

Philip Rivers[​IMG], who also has expressed confidence in Green, isn’t worried about injuries to Dombrowski, who worked at left tackle all summer, and Thomas, who has started 165 NFL games at the position.

“We’ve got some nagging injuries. Dombrowski has missed a couple days, but it’s funny how things like that happen and it ends up making you better,” Turner said.

“Tyronne Green’s gone over there and it might be his most natural position. He is a very, very good pass protector. He’s got great feet. He’s got long arms.

“What you find out is, you’ve got guys throughout a given season who are going to be able to help you in other spots. If we were in a position like we were last year, he could go in and play right tackle, left tackle, left guard and center. Getting the exposure right now is pretty good for us to evaluate.”

Green strikes a balance between overwhelmed and cocky when talking about his ability to play guard, tackle and center in the NFL. He relies on overall athleticism and good footwork at every position.

“I’ve always played guard so it’s just second nature to me. They put me at center this spring and that was my first time playing it. I just got a little knack for it.

Started finding the things that I could do well with it; the techniques that work for me.

“It’s kind of what I’m doing with tackle. Of course I’m not the prototypical tackle, especially left tackle, in the NFL, but I try to use what I’ve got to my advantage. I change direction and stay in front of guys, and my long arms. I’m short but I have long, tackle arms. It helps being able to sit and get a good punch on a guy and keep him separated from your body.”

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If his arms are long enough to play tackle according to the article, how come there are not any 6'2" left tackles in the league ?

The tackles *** needs to be 6'6" or better in order to have the wing span to push the defense off of the edge.

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    so a guy that was unable to beat out Dumbo and M10 last year when we were crippled with injuries is now going to be our starting left tackle?? AWESOME!!!

Thank you AJ for once again proving how little you care about the offensive line

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    are you always this sarcastic and depressed or is this a recent development?

green was a lower round draft pick brought in to be an interior swingman who's showing alot of value by being able to play all over the place.

Deep breath

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He was a rookie last year who'd been converted to offense from defense in college. I knew an offensive lineman once who was under 6ft. and looked like the Neanderthal statues in the Museum of Man, but when his arms hung loose, his fingers were half way down his thighs. If Green's arms are longer than normal, he'll have excellent leverage at 6'2". Be interesting to watch him in the exhibish.

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152

Vasquez was a 3rd rounder last year and started all 14 games he played in last year

Tyronne Greene was a 4th rounder last year who played in 3 games and started none of them.

Why was so much expected of Vasquez, but not Greene?

If anything, i would rather try Vasquez at OLT, atleast he has great OLT size, good feet, long arms and played in a college offense that kind of put him out on an island like a tackle. Not saying he could do, but i would rather take my shot with him than a 6'2 backup Center who just started playing OL a couple years ago. Seriously, i cant even think of a OT shorter than 6'4, can anyone else??

AJ needs to either bring in a REAL left tackle (no more 40 year olds or backup G-turned-OT), or finally come to his senses and give McNeill a real contract!

Oh and BTW, Greene has 33 3/4 inch arms, not good for a tackle

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Green taking big wingspan to left tackle

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Monday, August 9, 2010 at 9:59 p.m.

The first time Jacques Cesaire lined up against Tyronne Green, his eyes lit up.

“I’m like, ‘I’m about to kill this guy right now,’ ” recalled Cesaire, a Chargers defensive end. “I come off my stance, little did I know he had a 950-foot wingspan.”

And there is the primary reason the Chargers have made the kid they drafted in the fourth round in 2009 to be a guard and center into a tackle.

Green is also fairly quick, which further allows him to stay in front of pass rushers.

“He’s got great feet,” said outside linebacker Jyles Tucker, who also joked Green’s wingspan was more befitting an NBA center. “He’s no slouch.”

Green worked at left guard last season and moved to center in the offseason. He began training camp as the second-team right tackle. But with Marcus McNeill holding out and Brandyn Dombrowski (groin) and Tra Thomas (knee) sidelined, Green has been taking the first-team snaps at left tackle the past three practices.

“All the line stuff kind of fits together as far as technique,” Green said. “Of course you’ve got a lot faster guys off the edge. I’m just trying to match their intensity and going hard.”

Receiver cut

The Chargers made the first trim of what head coach Norv Turner said is the “best group of young receivers I’ve ever been around.”

Ernest Smith, an undrafted rookie who had flashed some ball skills but was caught in a bevy, was released Monday. Still around are front-runner Jeremy Williams, practice squad veteran Gary Banks and rapidly improving Seyi Ajirotutu.

Quarterback Philip Rivers said of the young receivers: “It is probably the deepest we’ve been as far as having this many guys that can go in and not (having to) worry about them knowing what to do and not being a big dropoff.”

Nuts ’n’ Bolts

• Tackle Corey Clark, a seventh-round pick in 2007, spent much of the past two years inactive or on the practice squad. Moved to guard, he was most likely not going to make even the practice squad this season and voluntarily left the Chargers over the weekend. The Chargers signed guard Cameron Stephenson, a fifth-round pick by the Steelers in 2007, who has spent time on the practice squads of three different teams.

• About 8,300 tickets must be sold by 6 p.m. Wednesday to avoid a television blackout of Saturday’s exhibition opener against the Chicago Bears. If the game is blacked out, which seems almost certain, it will be shown at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Channel 8 (San Diego).

• Undrafted rookie Shawnbrey McNeal continued to impress, getting his most significant carries of camp on Monday with Marcus Mason sidelined with an ankle injury. Mason had been getting the bulk of the carries with the second team. The two are likely battling for the final running back spot.

• The Chargers spent much of Monday morning working on an unbalanced line formation, where one of the tackles moves to the opposite side of the line. The Chargers have employed that often since Cam Cameron was offensive coordinator and will continue to do so. But they also know they’ll see it in Week 5 from the Raiders and new offensive coordinator Hue Jackson (formerly Baltimore’s quarterbacks coach under Cameron) and others as well. Said Turner: “If you can’t get lined up against it, they’ll kill you. So defensively, we’ll do this a couple more times in camp. You have to have a plan for it.”

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This is fun. :popcorn:

12. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Green is proving himself to be very valuable. He's worked at all 3 positions.

If we keep 8 linemen, like last year...you can keep the starters....the Mruk as C/G, Green as G/T, and Tre Thomas? as backup tackle (Until Marcus comes back then that goes to Dombo)

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What a crock of ****. It may well be true that most people are proportionate but there are plenty who have longer arms/legs than their overall stature would indicate.

Just because you're a stocky white guy with a short dick doesn't mean everyone fits that mold. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_rofl:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Buck Melamona again.

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm certainly not suggesting that our current situation at LT is preferable than having McNeill, but remember something .... he started as a rookie. We put a LOT of faith in him right out of the box. He delivered pretty damn well.

Who's to say that there isn't another guy with limited reps that can do the same? I'm not swilling any kool-aid but I'm not waiting for the sky to fall either.

All of these guys start somewhere.

17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    G Tyronne Green who has been playing LT in replace of Brandyn Dombrowski moved to Dielman’s spot on the offensive line. Dombrowski is at LT again.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    They better pull Rivers and Volek quickly before they get killed.

Let the back up QB get murdered.

It is too ealy to start losing QB's.

Face it....we have no left tackle worth chit after McNeil.

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Green shows versatility

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted Aug 9, 2010

Second-year offensive lineman Tyronne Green has practiced at guard, center and both tackle positions this offseason. Now, due to minor injuries to other players, he’s working at left tackle.

SAN DIEGO – Even the NFL Network might have to take a few laps around the league to collect a handful of players that have done what Chargers offensive lineman Tyronne Green[​IMG] has done this offseason.

Green, a second-year player out of Auburn, has practiced at guard, center and both tackle positions.

The 6-foot-2, 316-pound college guard never had played center until this spring. However, Head Coach Norv Turner called him a player to watch before training camp, excited about Green’s versatility.

Now Green has spent a few practices with the first offense at left tackle while Brandyn Dombrowski[​IMG] and Tra Thomas[​IMG] nurse injuries.

“At first, a little mindblowing, but as the days go on you try to keep progressing at each one,” Green said of his frequent relocation. “If it comes up in the season and you’re in a backup role, you never know where you’ll get thrown in. The more versatile you are, the more it helps you and it helps the team.

“Rome wasn’t built overnight, so they don’t expect it to be a finished product right away, but I think they see potential in what I can be.”

The fourth-round pick played in four games last year and spent most of that time on special teams. A converted defensive tackle out of high school, Green again felt unsure of his responsibilities during his first NFL season.

“Coming in as a rookie, you’re in the phase of not knowing what’s going on, whereas when you were in college, you were probably (the) man. You could dominate guys.

(Now) the best guy you played against in college, they’re like that all the way across the board,” Green said.

“It’s helped me go out and compete instead of looking like a chicken with my head cut off, running around like, ‘Oh man, who do I have? What’s going on?’ Knowing what’s going on gives you an edge and lets you compete.”

Philip Rivers[​IMG], who also has expressed confidence in Green, isn’t worried about injuries to Dombrowski, who worked at left tackle all summer, and Thomas, who has started 165 NFL games at the position.

“We’ve got some nagging injuries. Dombrowski has missed a couple days, but it’s funny how things like that happen and it ends up making you better,” Turner said. “Tyronne Green’s gone over there and it might be his most natural position. He is a very, very good pass protector. He’s got great feet. He’s got long arms.

“What you find out is, you’ve got guys throughout a given season who are going to be able to help you in other spots. If we were in a position like we were last year, he could go in and play right tackle, left tackle, left guard and center. Getting the exposure right now is pretty good for us to evaluate.”

Green strikes a balance between overwhelmed and cocky when talking about his ability to play guard, tackle and center in the NFL. He relies on overall athleticism and good footwork at every position.

“I’ve always played guard so it’s just second nature to me. They put me at center this spring and that was my first time playing it. I just got a little knack for it. Started finding the things that I could do well with it; the techniques that work for me.

“It’s kind of what I’m doing with tackle. Of course I’m not the prototypical tackle, especially left tackle, in the NFL, but I try to use what I’ve got to my advantage. I change direction and stay in front of guys, and my long arms. I’m short but I have long, tackle arms. It helps being able to sit and get a good punch on a guy and keep him separated from your body.”

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    the worse case scenario is that Green gets alot of experience at more positions and from there we have two back up linemen (Mrzucowski and Green) and three if McNeil ever returns (Dombrowski included) who can play basically anywhere. That's VERY useful

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Greene's arms are less than 21/2" shorter than McNeil's. Strength and lateral movement are major factors. Greene is plenty strong and he can move.