1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tyson Alualu Says It "Would Be A Blessing" To Play For The Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Tyson Alualu is one of the top ranked defensive linemen in the 2010 NFL Draft, and the Chargers certainly know who he is. Having met with him on several occasions, they will likely have come away with the same impression we did after speaking with Alualu; he's a tremendous football player with outstanding intangibles and is simply a guy you want on your team. Read BOLTHYPE's interview with Tyson Alualu after the jump.

MEETING THE CHARGERS

"I met with the Chargers at the Combine and talked to Coach Rivera and a couple of the other coaches as well. They said they were interested, and that they liked the way I play; my style. There wanted to get some information on me. And at the same time, they did say I would fit in there with their defense."

WHERE DOES ALUALU PROJECT IN THE DRAFT?

"They said I'm projected late first, early second. But for me, all I care about is the opportunity to play at the next level. One the same note, I want to go as high as I can. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to being a part of the NFL."

EXPERIENCE IN THE 3-4 DEFENSE

"In my Junior and Senior year we changed to a 3-4. In my first two years we played 4-3. Mainly I played 5-technique, head-up on the tackle. But in my Junior and Senior years I played all over the defensive line. I played nose, three-technique, and defensive end. I played strong side D-end at Cal, but I flopped both sides. I didn't have a preference. I play both sides and feel comfortable in a right or left hand stance."

HOW TYSON MOVES SO WELL FOR A BIG MAN

"I appreciate that. I think it's a little bit of everything. Yea, I'm considered a big guy, but coaches see potential and athletic ability to be able to play D-End as a bigger dude. Usually you see guys like myself playing D-Tackle, but coaches said I was quick enough to do both.

But it takes a lot of things, a lot of repetition to play two positions; playing defensive end, playing defensive tackle. And at the same time its also watching a lot of film, and studying film of the people that came before me. My freshman year we had great players such as Brandon Mebane, playing here at Cal. Being able to watch guys like him, I could pattern my game after them. I think that's what made the game a bit easier, knowing your opponent and the things that he does. It's a big part of how my game is what it is, watching lots of film and just being coachable."

FLYING TO THE BALL, HUSTLING TO MAKE PLAYS

"A lot of it is just the love for the game, wanting to go out there and give it your all. The Team is what this game is all about, competing with your teammates. But part of it comes from highschool football. I played Defensive End but I was a lot smaller that what I am now. But even so, a lot of teams would game plan and run away from me, run the opposite direction. So a lot of the plays I made was cashing down tackles from the back side.

Coming to Cal showed me this was a whole different game. You had to constantly run to the ball on every play. The coaches placed a big emphasis on the d-line and whole defense in general to swarm to the ball. I owe a lot to my coaches and to the players that I played with. As far as the d-line, we wanted that to be our identity: always getting to the ball. So it's both a love and passion for the game, doing what I had to do to make plays, as well as being coached by the coaches at Cal, and I owe a lot to them."

THE DECISION TO MOVE TO CALIFORNIA

"I from the islands. My family is from Hawaii and we moved out here my freshman year. We came to Cal because it was the best all opportunity all around for me. It was my best offer, and the program was on the rise. It's also one of the best institutions and I wanted to get my degree year and make sure I have a life after football. I prayed about it and Cal was where God wanted me to be, so I choose Cal and I'm happy I made that decision. It lead me to be in the position I'm in today, and I'm very grateful and thankful."

51 CAREER COLLEGE GAMES, BEING A LEADER, HAVING HIGH CHARACTER

"I think it's definitely important. It's part of who I am and what I bring to the table. Its important for a team to have a leader. I just want to do the right thing, lead by example, and have people follow me and my actions both on the field as well as off the field. I just want to put myself in position to succeed both on and off the field. It's a big part of who I am. I don't get into trouble. I've got my family here, and I thank God for blessing me and helping me become the person I am today by staying away from distractions and focusing on building my college career."

COLLEGE COMPETITION

"I've faced some real good players in college. Shaun Luavao out of Arizona State, Charles Brown from USC. I faced a lot of good O-linemen in practice as well, one of the best was Alex Mack who now plays for the Cleveland Browns."

WHICH NFL TEAMS ARE SHOWING THE MOST INTEREST?

"I've met with a lot of teams, and it hasn't been mainly 3-4 teams or 4-3 teams. It's been a mix of both. A lot of 4-3 teams I've talked to say they see me as a two-down Defensive End, and in passing situations and stunt packages they'll bump me into 3-technique. Most 4-3 teams see me at end, some at defensive tackle. I've talked to a lot of 3-4 teams as well including San Diego, and they see me at defensive end in the 3-4. A lot of teams in both schemes have shown interest in me."

PLAYING IN THE 3-4 VERSUS THE 4-3

"I have no preference, none at all. I enjoy both. I don't have a preference, I just want the opportunity to go out there and show what I can do, what I love to do, and that's to play ball."

ONCE DRAFTED, WHAT WILL ALUALU'S APPROACH BE?

"I'm just looking for an opportunity. But don't get me wrong, whatever team that does pick me up I'm going to compete my butt off and work hard. I'm not going to just go to a team and be grateful and sit behind somebody, and just be happy where I'm at. Never get comfortable because I'm going to fight for that starting job. My attitude towards it is I'm going to take a spot. I want to be a starter in the NFL. What my job will be, we'll just have to see. But I'm going in expecting to compete with whoever it is, whether it's a veteran or not. I want that starting job. I'm going to do my best and show the coaches what I can do, and let them make the decision. But I'm definitely coming in to fight and compete for a spot."

WATCHING FOOTBALL IN HAWAII, FAVORITE TEAMS AND PLAYERS

"I never had a favorite team in the NFL, I just looked up to players. When I played Pop Warner, I played running back and I tried to emulate Emmit Smith but the Cowboys weren't my team. I never had a favorite team. I used to like running backs like Priest Holmes and Emmit Smith. When I starting getting older I started liking D-linemen like Reggie White. I just had a lot of favorite players who I enjoyed watching, but never had one favorite team."

PLAYING FOR THE SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

"Man, the Chargers...growing up, my uncles used to make us watch the Chargers because we all looked up to Junior Seau. He comes from the same decent that I do, and we used to watch him all the time. What he brought to the game was phenomenal, watching him go out there and make plays and make a big name for himself. We used to watch the Chargers all the time. Now, I enjoy watching Luis Castillo. I watch him and try to take moves from him, pattern my game after him. It would mean a lot if San Diego did call my name and to get the chance to play for you guys in San Diego. It would be a blessing for me to have that opportunity."

--

TYSON ALUALU HIGHLIGHTS

• Like Like x 2
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I like this kid a lot. Good size, strength, high motor. He just works, works, works. It all depends on how the board falls, but I wouldn't be disappointed with him at 40. He's not really in my cluster, but that doesn't mean that I don't think he's a baller.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Sounds like a good kid too - how would you feel about him at 28? Too much of a reach?

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I agree. If we could walk away with a DT in 1 and Alualu in the 2nd, then pick up a RB in the 3rd like Tate or Hardesty I would be stoked.

5. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Yes, but sounds just like something AJ would do though.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    yeah was thinking the same thing. just seems like he might get snagged up sooner than 40 and that might be enough for AJ to reach - like with english

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes to both, IMO. But Alualu & Cody at 28 & 40 really isn't such a bad option ....

8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I love this guy too, but his best position is DT in a 4-3! IMO

He has played some 3-4 end but its not a natural position for him.

I would give him a shot anyway

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I don't know .. With Williams gone, I think we may see some more 4-3 this year. Unless we get another true NT.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Love the motor, love that he wants to play here, but I think he's too small for 3-4 DE in the NFL. He'd get pushed around by double teams, espescially in the run game.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It wasn't for Castillo or Olshanski either if I remember right. Most 3-4 DE's play DT in college because most colleges run a 4-3. If we only took 3-4 DE's, we would be very limited in the available players. I am not expert, but that is the impression I get

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're right, many do as the 3-4 isn't all that prevalent in college. Basically the same reason that you get a lot of 'tweener types that played 4-3 DE in college but look to transition to 3-4 OLB in the pros.

Alualu is around 295, IIRC. Put him on an NFL weight training regimen, add 5-10 lbs., he's about the same size as Castillo.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree. To play the nose in a 3-4 you gotta be in the 330+ range. Aluala looks like a solid baller and he's Samoan so you KNOW he is ruthless!

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He said he was too small to play DE, it is a given that he is too small for NT

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    he is the same size as castillo and cesaire. But on tape he looks as quick or quicker. He looks like he has good pad level to push larger o-line off. And he's so quick he seems to be able to split between two o-lineman. He's gonna be a good one with that motor of his.

16. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551

I really don't think they are the same build. Castillo had a much wider frame with more bulk, and was just as quick. But obviously slipped due to the steroid issue.

If you want to compare combine results.
    Weight- Castillo 305lbs, Alualu 293lbs
    Bench- Castillo 32, Alualu 21
    40 time- Castillo 4.79, Alualu 4.87
    10yd, 20yd, 3 cone, broad, vert, etc... were are all about the same.

I think if they stood side by side you could see the real difference between a 4-3 DT and a 3-4 DE.

17. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Plus...being Samoan, you KNOW he can put on extra weight! hehe

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    The fact that he has a migh motor may help him. I get the felling that being on the end would leave him isolated and prone to easy double teams..

..on the inside, next to another impact defensive tackle he could use his quick first step and swim moves to get past the guards/centre's shoulders and get penetration.

Maybe he would play end on first and second and then move inside on passing downs?

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Castillo was a 4-3 DT in college also, just an FYI

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Yep. But some can make the transition some can't.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Very true. I don't know anything about this guy, I just hope we address the defense early and often in this draft

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Hard to say what were gonna do via the d-line.

Just a guess but since we have so many d-lineman on the payroll now the chargers will be open to other opportunities.

There are two things with the nfl passing game now. YOu need time to throw and you need open recievers. Versus an nfl pass defense you need a pass rush and a d-backfield that can cover.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Unless AJ and those doing his scouting have a reasonable certainty that he can play DE, I don't see him fitting here. If he picked up enough weight to play the nose, he'd lose his mobility without picking up a lot of extra strength. No way he will add that much muscle mass. It looks like this guy is suited to a 4-3 in the pros. We need a true nose tackle and the best runner we can get our hands on in the higher rounds. The looks like a great athlete and quality individual, but he also looks like too much of a crapshoot to gamble on in the first or second round.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And both of those start by having an effective line. Having a rotation of crap like we had last year will leave our pass rush and DB's looking average at best

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No one is talking about this guy playing Nose. Just curious why this is even being brought up

26. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    Dude.. Cody/Alualu or Price at 28&40 then trade up for Tate..

I really should stop teasing myself :lol:

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We wouldn't need to trade up for Tate. He or someone who fits just as well will be available with our 3rd.

28. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    I am just on a whole nother level with Tate. I think he's in his own category a step down from Mathews. Spiller and Best are neck and neck, the only thing separating them is Best's glass jaw, aside from that I like Best even better. Mathews is the most well-rounded 3 down back in the draft with Tate just a hair behind.

I think I could deal with Gerhart, Dwyer, or Blount in the 3rd, problem is there is a VERY slim chance Gerhart or Dwyer make it to 91 and AJ more than likely will not touch Blount with a 10 foot pole.

Realistically guys like Scott, Dixon and Hardesty will be there at 91 but I just am not sold on them. _IF_ Hardesty could stay healthy he may be pretty damn solid, the injuries are definitely a concern.

29. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

You're right but I really don't think we need on of the top tier guys. We're pass-first, we just need a solid RB that can keep defenses honest and that can crank out tough yards when we need it. We scored a tone of points last year. We have a much bigger issue on defense, especially on the line. I would much rather see defense with our first two picks than RB.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Me too

• Like Like x 1