1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Apr 2, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Could be somebody AJ is looking at up front defensively....

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/Tyson-Jackson.php

Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU

Strengths:
    Outstanding size and bulk...Has a big frame with long arms and large hands...Powerful with excellent strength...Tough and physical...Good athleticism...Quick with a burst...Uses his hands well...Can really hold his ground...Terrific bull rusher...Offers a lot of versatility...Has a lot of experience against elite competition... Hard worker ... Team leader.

Weaknesses:
    Average timed speed...Motor is inconsistent...Questionable instincts and awareness...Needs to do a better job of shedding blocks...Doesn't change directions well...Has some trouble in space...Not a threat off the edge...Just an average pass rusher and won't rack up a lot of sacks.

Notes:
    Full name is Anthony Tyson Jackson...Was a three-year starter in the SEC...Twice named 2nd Team All-SEC ('06 & '07)...Best fit will most likely come as a five-technique in a 3-4 scheme but could also play end or tackle in a 4-3 front as well...Has drawn the inevitable comparisons to Marcus Spears, another former Bayou Bengal who was the 20th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft...An impressive physical specimen who is highly adaptable...Figures to be a coveted prospect because he is so unlike any of the other top defensive ends available in this draft.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    he's a "hard worker" but has "inconsistent motor" ? :icon_shrug:

3. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    People take lack of explosion off the corner as "he's not a hard worker".

He's not a great pass rusher, but he's a great run defender with enough athleticism to make an impact as solid pass rusher.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He 's a big guy - has the size that AJ likes in a DE. He doesn't have to be a big pass rusher in our scheme, just be able to tie up blockers & collapse the pocket. And he has been stout against the run.

BUT - if you watch tape on him, he IS inconsistent in his effort. Maybe this can get turned around - or maybe he gets the big payday & it gets worse. I'm not a big fan of his, at least not at 16.

I think he's gone to Denver at 12 unless Raji the ganja boy slips.

Oh yeah - the strength issue is somewhat questionable. Look at the # of reps he put up at the combine - 20 @ 225. Pretty weak showing for a guy his size. Indicates to me that he needs to beef up quite a bit to shed the NFL big boys.

5. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    The guy consistently kicks OT in the teeth against the run.

In pursuit? Just curious, because there are very few DE's who consistently win on run plays like he has in college. I'd have very little reservations with him at 16. His motor is similar to Richard Seymour coming out of Georgia.

In fact, I believe in terms of weakest positions ... he'd probably be the most likely to make an immediate impact.

Denver has a ton of holes. Who knows.

What's his wingspan? Nothing I saw on the field makes me worried about his "strength".

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    In college. He's struggled at times in shedding blocks & doesn't always give 100%. I've watched plenty of SEC ball. Looks like a paler, weaker Igor to me.

Not as consistently as he could. He takes plays off - it's pretty obvious when he decides that he wants to play, he can play. He just doesn't always give a full effort. A pick at 16 should be a FT baller.

I'll agree that a top tier DE will make the most impact felt. Just not a big fan of Jackson. I'd just as soon have Hood.

What's his wingspan? Nothing I saw on the field makes me worried about his "strength".[/QUOTE]

Just because he has long arms is no reason to lift 225 only 20 times. It goes to his ability to take on double-teams & shed blocks.

Hood has long arms & put up way more reps. I think this also goes to show who focuses on their training & who doesn't.

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Having watched Tyson play the last 3 years, I'll give you my take on him.

Dude is good, but not really great.

When we still had Dorsey ('07) getting double and triple teamed, Tyson was a stud. Looked like he was going to step right up and assume the dominant role on the DL when Dorsey graduated.

Then came Dorsey's injury. Suddenly, TJ was "the man" on the DL. Only he kinda disappeared once OLs started keying on him instead.

Last year, when he once again was supposed to be the leader, he had yet another down year. He never really stepped up and reached the level he was projected to hit.

If he is your main guy on the DL, you're in a bind.
    But if someone else is commanding the most attention, he will flourish.

8. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Paler or taller? Because he certainly isn't paler?

And he has a ton more athleticism than Igor. Completely different type of player. I'm not sure how anyone can see a comparison between the two.

Trouble shedding blocks? It is one of his strengths.

Most DL take plays off. Jamal takes plays off. He's not perfect in this area, but there are very few DE's that are 100% all the time players.

Are you using consistent measures to other players?

If I want a player with a non stop motor, I'll select Rey Maulauga at that pick.

I like Hood's effort. He's not as effective as Jackson as a two gap player, so I'm not sure you can say he is anything other than a projection in this defense. From what I saw of him (system based), he made most of his plays when he was allowed to shoot a hole. He won't be doing that in this system.

Despite playing in a system that was more conducive to making big plays, he made less of them than Jackson.

I like his potential and his motor, but he is a pretty serious projection. Personally, I prefer the potential value of Jarron Gilbert a little later in the round than either Hood OR Jackson.

Hood is considerably shorter than him and appears to have shorter arms.

If you look at the history of the combine with players with his wingspan ... you see considerably lower reps. His play on the field suggests that it isn't a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Only way I'd take him is if everyone else I want like Oher, Smith, Malauga is off the board. But yeah I see a little too much Igor in him; he's not that dominating when you look at him and for high first round money I don't think he's a good value.

I'd rather look at George Hypolite from Colorado in the 6th/7th or better yet Vance Walker from GA Tech in the 3rd/4th. Walker I think has better potential.

Hey Nutriaitch, what'cha think about Ricky Jean Francois?

10. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16
    I wish he had gotten more playing time here.
    Sat out all but last 2 games in '07 due to academic issues, then had nagging groin injury most of last year. He played, but not close to 100%.

Guy is a tremendous physical specimen. Big, strong guy with massive hands. When healthy and on the field, he's a playmaker. Was big part of us winning the National Championship game (defensive MVP of that game).

11. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Pretty much agree with this assessment.

Also agree.

Personally, I believe Maulauga is going to be the best value at a position of need, however Jackson in this defense is a pretty good fit.

My concern is that he is a good, not great, player AND the last time we picked that from LSU ... his name was Buster Davis. That pick sucked.

12. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    **** LSU
    How about we stay away from that school early in the draft until Davis and hester actually start producing!

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We need a good d-end/d-tackle , saftey and guard. Getting those good players that can play those positions we would have done very well. hope we can get em.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Guess I had a brain fart when I said paler in reference to Jackson vs. Igor. Of course that was backwards - meant darker.

Look, I've seen a lot of SEC ball & Jackson, while he would fit in our scheme well enough, does not look like a #16 talent to me. I appreciate the comments from nutriatch, since he actually attends LSU games & is a school homer. :yes:

Now, if Jackson could carry another 25-30 pounds, I could see him as Jamal's successor. Just feel that he's more of an interior guy. I want a little quicker first step & a higher motor out of my 3-4 DE.

15. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16
    that one shocks me the most. While Bowe was flashier and put up bigger numbers, Buster was easily our most reliable receiver.

When we needed a big catch, JR always looked to him 1st, and he almost always delivered. I thought for sure he was going to make it at the next level.

Guess I was wrong about that one.

Hester was a solid pick.
    He may not put up the big numbers, but he always seems to make the right play.

Kinda like throwing the block that set Sproles free on the winning TD vs Indy in the playoffs.

That play was much bigger than the 1 catch for 6 yards the stat sheet shows for that game.

And you'll never hear him b!tch about not getting the touches either.

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I for one am not giving up on Buster yet. I just hope there are enough balls to go round when our O starts. That will b his biggest issue now, getting some throws his way when he gets on the field. The line ahead is like 4 or 5 deep right now.

:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    The closer the draft gets, the more I hope we pick Jackson.

There's no need for him to be "the guy"--we've got Merriman, Phillips, Castillo, and Williams who will all attract more attention ahead of him. And we could really use some help on the defensive line.

I still say him, or Oher.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Jackson's at the bottom of my draft board behind Oher, Malauga and Smith. It makes some sense but the more I look into him the less I like. Not to mention later rounds you can find equally as good if not better 3-4DEs like Kyle Moore, Vance Walker, George Hypolite, Ricky Jean-Francois, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16

I hate to agree with you on this since he's a former Tiger, but it was frustrating to wait 3 years for him to reach the potential he seems to have. He just never did develop into the beast he was projected to be. He always seemd to be 2nd (or even 3rd) best on his own D-Line.

20. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That's just it, I don't know why everyone is so high on him but I don't see what's so great about him. He hasn't been as dominating as Dorsey or Seymour or lots of other 3-4DEs who got picked in the first. Why not save it for a bigger impact, when you could grab someone like Oher or Smith or Malauga. I think personally a later round 3-4 DE will be better for the team, assuming AJ thinks we need one.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Right now I still say trade down to later in the first round getting a 2nd rounder out of it. MY hope is trading down getting ziggy hood or peria jerry a little later and then getting a 2nd rounder out of the trade down. The other possibility might be that maulaga might be still on the board when we pick later and then using the 2nd rounder on the d-end/d-tackle. Where there still will be a couple of good d-end/d-tackles still around. Utah's kruger, texas's miller, usc's miola, and a few others. I kind of think we'll have to pull the trigger on a future guard with our 3rd round pick in which a good one should be there.

Theres a number of ways the chargers could do this draft. The real only need is a d-end/d-tackle. A bunch of good d-end/d-tackles in this draft would all be better than IGOR. Gonna be interesting on seeing who the chargers aim at. .

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd go with Maulauga, this team need a nasty SOB as a middle linebacker

DE would be second

OL third (no need for a first round RIGHT tackle)

S would be fourth

a future replacement for Jamal fifth

23. Nutriaitch

Ratings:
    +16
    well, if the Chargers get anyone from LSU, that will get me watching even more of their games.
    Started tuning inlast year to watch Jake. Even went so far as to buy a Hester jersey (1st NFL jersey I've ever even thought about owning).

Hoping Buster Davis can get it together. He was a good kid, and a big part of our team.

Good luck on draft day, hope y'all can fill whatever needs the team may have.

24. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    At this point I would settle for "Evander" Hood or Jerry either one, and wouldn't care of others called it a "reach", (although dropping a spot or 3 and gaining another pick would be *excellent*). Its about winning and the last time I checked Defense still wins championships.

25. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Jerry has ZERO chance of being drafted by the Bolts; he doesn't play the 3-4.....I am seein' his name thrown around our site's and he ain't gonna be a charger.

26. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    Bowe scored TD's. With all due respect to Davis, there were probably atleast 6 better WR's (and probably closer to 8) in the SEC his senior year. Davis is a reasonable guy to go to when you need a 7 or 8 yard gain. His ability to run routes without losing speed is a great strength on your drag routes and your intermediate posts, but a 4.4 won't do you any good if you don't catch the ball cleanly over the shoulder.

Defenses are too good and coaches that know you can't run a flag route or take the player over the top on a stop and go OR a go will scheme you out of the game. The safety can cheat in on a post if Davis is on the field and as a result, that deep route gets bottled up as well.

He was a terrible pick. I said it at the time. Average college WR with above average physical tools AND some flaws that made him one dimensional.