1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

U-T mock draft: Chargers take 2 tackles & a CB

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    U-T NFL Mock Draft 2013: Chargers land two tackles, cornerback in first three rounds

11) San Diego (7-9) — Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M, Jr.
    The Chargers should take at least two offensive lineman in the first four rounds. A cornerback and running back wouldn't be a bad idea with the other two picks. Everyone's talent and durability on the current offensive line has to be questioned at this point. There's no way, under any circumstances, they can enter the 2013 season with any combination of Jared Gaither, Jeromey Clary or Mike Harris as starting tackles. There's no better place to start than the son of Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews. He played strong-side for the Aggies because of Joeckel's immense talent, but like his father, he can play virtually anywhere. He's a natural left tackle and it's a testament to his all-around ability he was able to master the right side after deferring to Joeckel. It's a close call between he and Lewan, but his versatility makes the difference because they need more than one lineman to improve. All true NFL fans should know not to doubt the Matthews bloodline. Top needs: OL, CB, RB.

45) San Diego (7-9) — Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington, Sr.
    Trufant is a super athlete who excels in man coverage. He has the ability to be a lock-down corner in the NFL. He can press big wide receivers successfully or he can run with speedy receivers down the field. He seems to relish being out on that island, which is a good sign. You can't knock his bloodline either. His older brothers Marcus and Isaiah are both in the NFL. Marcus was a star at Washington State before enjoying a long career with the Seahawks, while Isaiah played at Eastern Washington and is now with the New York Jets.

74) San Diego (7-9) — Brennan Williams, North Carolina, T, Sr.
    A healthy Williams would be a steal here. NFLDraftScout.com ranked him No. 2 among senior offensive tackles and the 38th prospect overall before he tore his labrum in his left shoulder against Duke in October. At 6-7, 310 pounds, Williams has surprisingly light feet with the length and frame to start on the right side in the NFL. Normally the recovery time from labrum surgery is anywhere from two-to-six months. Other possibilities include Oklahoma State running back Joseph Randle or even Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray. Philip Rivers contract expires after the 2014 season. The 6-foot-6 Bray and his laser rocket arm would give the Chargers an option if things don't improve by then. Plus, a couple of years should be enough time to improve his questionable accuracy and decision making.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Give that draft a gold star in my book

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    Silverish gold. I'm not a huge believer in Matthews, but at a minimum it will get rid of Clary.

I'd take Fisher though.

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Same here. If that were Fisher instead of Matthews, I'd be a lot more comfortable. I also think Brennan Williams is a tad overrated and the notion of starting rookies at both tackle spots is absurd (do our current tackles suck? yes. Will starting a pair of rookies at the edges do much to improve Rivers' safety? Not for at least a year or more).

I'd sooner see that 3rd round pick, if we're going OL, used on a guy like Larry Warford if he's available. He's horrifically underrated because he's a great prospect on a lousy team. Yes, he's a step down from Chance Warmack and Jon Cooper, but he's also acquirable a solid 1-2 rounds later. He's got the combination of mean streak, heavy hands, and good lateral agility you want from your guards and he's a road-grader in the vein of Carl Nick (not saying he's on Nicks' current level, but they're rather similar when comparing prospect to prospect).

5. allendas

allendas Bolts 2013!!!

Ratings:
    +6
    San Diego - Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame
    Te'o is the type of middle linebacker and defensive leader every team wants on their team. His toughness and passion is contagious. The fact that he is athletic, strong, and with excellent instincts make him the type of player who can change the entire complexion of a defense.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/nflmockdraft.html

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree.. either Clary or Gaither will start at RT for sure, just comes down to the GM and Coach's preference. I'll lean on Clary, just because most will point to his durability compared to Gaithers rather than talent.

One of them will be cut though. Its just too unrealistic to have 2 starting rookie OT's protecting Rivers, who has been sacked 80 times the last 2 years.

I like Warford a lot as well, I mocked him before in the 3rd but I think he might go in the 2nd. Haven't heard much about Omoregie Uzzi or Gabe Jackson's stock, seems like they might have fallen off. I'd even take a flier on D.J. Fluker if he's still around in the 3rd and move him to Guard.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Well... the UT's mock just got shot to hell because Jake Matthews is going back A&M for his senior year and I can't say as I disagree with him. With Manziel having just won the Heisman the program's going to get a lot of attention, he'll finally be able to man the LT spot, and he won't hurt from the continued refinement of his technique (which is far from perfect at the moment). This can likely mean the difference between going Top 15-20 this year and going Top 5 next year.

Fisher moves up my big board a fair chunk now, as does Lane Johnson from Oklahoma (who is now a viable 1st rounder as far as I'm concerned). I think unless Warford absolutely wrecks the Senior Bowl and Combine his ceiling is still 3rd round - mostly because guard still isn't considered a premium position and there are at least 3 guys on a tier above him as guards in this draft (albeit two of them are also the two best centers available in Jones and Cooper).

Uzzi needs to show me more. I don't have him much above a 5th round prospect right now - which has been the money round for OG's in the past, but I'm not blown away by the guy like I am with some other prospects. I think he'll be solid and serviceable, I'm not sure he's ever going to be much better than that though. So kind of a cost/benefit thing. I really like what I'm seeing from Hugh Thornton of Illinois as a LG, Bailey's a good option I'd just like to see him not end up on the ground as much as he does (which isn't from over-aggression, so there's slight concern that he's taking plays off), and I think Kent State's Brian Winters has a lot of potential as a pulling, power-scheme guard (though I wouldn't take him prior to the 5th or 6th because of level of competition faced - unless he really kills it at the Shrine game which is possible).

And I just flat out don't like Fluker. He's far more Herman Johnson than he is Phil Loadholt. Loadholt has good feet despite being so big, Fluker plods and he's slow off the snap. The former doesn't give me a ton of faith in him as anything more than a drive-blocking RG (and I still think he'll get smoked by a good number of speed moves when he doesn't have the benefit of having Warmack playing next to him) and that later has me very confident he has no future as a tackle. I'd sooner take a flier on Dallas Thomas than him - and with Thomas I see a bit of Cordy Glenn - a serviceable-but-not-great OT with the potential to be an exceedingly good guard in the right scheme.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,511
    Because he got wind that the Chargers might draft him. ;)

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I think what Matthews did was totally smart on his part, and I respect that.

I still think we will take Lewan based on hype rather than Fisher. But again, all comes down to who the GM is, and if Jimmy Raye is still here. I've heard of Brian Winters before, but the reason you stated, I looked right by him due to the competition, and scheme they were running at Kent State with Collin Klein.

Yeah I was speaking of Fluker as more as a OG. I wouldn't want him anywhere near being an OT on this team. I like Dallas Thomas as well, he'd be a solid 3rd rounder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Collin Klein is at K(ansas) State. Kent State are the Flashes and play in the MAC - though they tend to also draw Ohio State, Northern Illinois, and University of Ohio all of which have been quality programs this year, so at least there's that.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Wow, its late hear on the east coast, guess its time for me to go to bed! :sleep:

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    IDGAF as long as we FINALLY get some grade A BEEF.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Saw Lewan for the first time in the Sth Carolina game. He did not impress me, 1 game I know but he didn't seem to get to the 2nd level all that well.

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Even if we draft 2 tackles in the 1st 3-4 rounds, we still need to go sign a starting tackle as a free agent. This would ensure we don't have the learning curve on both sides of the line, and gives the least prepared of the 2 a couple years to learn the job from the sideline.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I maintain that Lewan did a very good job considering he was blocking an absolute freak of nature for most of the game. He does need more work, he needs another 5-10 lbs of muscle but I really like what I see out of him. If he's there, I'd grab him without a second thought.

Realizing that of the two (Gaither/Clary) we desperately need to get rid of one, Gaither (due to his work ethic and his injury history) is more likely to go. Random thought, could Clary be moved inside to guard? Look I'm not thrilled having him around and I'd like to send him to the bench BUT if we have to use him for something, could his lack of speed be put to good use elsewhere?

Matthews going back to school was a very very smart move, he's likely the top tackle in the 2014 draft. Fischer is now my third tackle on the list easily, Johnson following him and I would look realistically at Thomas being a possible LT. Warford is someone I'd be seriously looking at in the third round, think he'd be a fantastic addition to the team

• Like Like x 1