1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UDFA`s

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, May 10, 2014.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Add VHIII to the list of guys that "has it" or so it seams...

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Stop.

Right now, Shareece Wright is a lock at the #2. #1 will be battled for, between Richard Marshall, Brandon Ghee, Steve Williams, Jason Verrett and possibly Marcus Gilchrist, who is a lock at the NCB (Nickel CB).

Gilchrist wasn't a safety last year in our Nickel package, it was often Weddle, Stuckey and Addae. I expect that to stay the same barring injury, and either Brandon Taylor or Alden Darby being the back ups.

Chris Davis offers nothing but depth at NCB and a return game. That's really it. I'd be very, very surprised if he was a starter. People need to keep in mind with an improved pass rush, our secondary will get much better and also a NT that knows their assignments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +444
    Yeah wonder will they just put TAT on his back, trying to fit the full name on there will be fun.

4. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings:
    +5
    Darby and Scioneaux.. the instincts. I am personally hoping these two make the team.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,149
    What's up with the punter? Maybe he should change his last name to "Dime."

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Same amount of letters as "Heyward-Bey" and only one more hyphen. It'll fit just fine. Takes up just as much space on the back as "Pierre-Paul" and less than "Houshmandzadeh".

7. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353
    :p
    Fuamatu-Ma'afala:p..

8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +490
    Seferian-Jenkins

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,149
    ^^^ When they have the hyphen between last names, doesn't that mean their mother is about to get divorced?

10. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Not necessarily. Could Maurice Drew went over to Maurice Jones-Drew when his maternal grandfather died and he wanted a way to honor him.

11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Theres a lot of Poly names that are hyphenated too. Su'a-Filo is another random hyphenated name, I think its just because how sharp sounding a lot of they're names are, make it sound like its two names.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Yup, remember I boy that we both missed on a couple years ago in Daniel Te'o-Nesheim?

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Colton Underwood seems like an intriguing guy that all the 3-4 teams had their eyes on. Prior to the draft, he had private workouts with the Pats and Chiefs. The kid certainly seems to have some physical ability:

"At his campus Pro Day workout, Underwood ran the 40-yard dash in 4.69 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 26 times with a 36-inch vertical leap and a 10-foot broad jump."

14. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Yeah, he's one of the more interesting guys. I'm also interested in two of the WR's, Allen and Chancellor.

Does anyone have details on the OL we signed? How many did we bring in for visits? Anyone that could be a find?

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    None of the UDFA's we signed were guys that, by my record, we brought in for visits. In fact, among the OL we brought in for visits I'm fairly certain a heavy amount of them were drafted (Su'a-Filo, Martin, Long, Garrett Scott), then Brian Clarke and Jarrod Pughsley signed with Dallas.

As far as who we did bring in:

- "DJ" Johnson is Darryl Johnson, who we did bring in for a visit. 6'4", 300 lbs. Played mostly LT and some RT for New Mexico and graded out as their most consistent lineman in 2013, on a team that was the 7th-leading rushing team in the FBS, with 40 rushing TD's to boot. Probably projects better as a guard than a tackle at the next level. Didn't get a combine invite but tested out at his pro day as more athletic than guys like David Yankey, Brandon Linder, and Jon Halapio.

- Jeremiah Sirles (no visit) is a 6'5", 315 lbs. former left tackle (and RT) at Nebraska who was miscast in that role. Based off what I've seen, likely only a camp body, but maybe Joe D sees something he likes. The attitude and effort are there, just doesn't look like the physical ability is. He doesn't shadow well, so he's not going to play tackle at the next level - or at least doesn't project well to. But he's not really strong enough to inside in the pros without some growth. Played both sides of the ball, so it's possible he's being looked at as a project DL guy. Was basically made to look better than he was at Nebraska by playing next to Spencer Long and being in an offense that ran the ball far, far more than it passed.

- Craig Watts is a big ol' boy, 6'3", 331 lbs. guard out of West Texas A&M where he didn't allow a sack in all 14 games (391 snaps) he started last season. I admit, I haven't seen a ton of tape on him, but the metrics alone make me worry a bit about his foot speed, as he was playing at a level where big hosses can neutralize what tend to be smallish(er) DT's based off sheer girth and strength alone. Will be an interesting one to watch though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Thanks LBC. I was mostly interested in OT or OC. Doesn't look like these guys are much more than OG and I think we set there for now. Maybe a PS candidate is there.

I guess Nick Becton will be the most interesting project to look at this year.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Possibly. I honestly don't believe that Dunlap's getting unseated this year. Having some cover for him is obviously ideal - if not necessary - but even if Becton doesn't show a ton (I'm on the fence as to whether I expect him to), if we're being realistic Harris didn't look bad until he got injured himself when he had to cover for Dunlap last season.

I know we'd all love to have King's long-term successor on the roster, but if we're also being realistic again - the best bet for that will likely be investing a premium pick into the position (a luxury that would have been tough to accomplish in this class given that the value went off the board DAMN quick).

• Like Like x 1
  18. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Wait, so we didn't sign X-Wing @ Aliciousness, Hingle McCringleberry, or Ozamataz Buckshank? I could've sworn they had great outings at the Key & Peele East/West College Bowl...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +444
    I still think Mike Harris can be a great RT in this league just maybe not in SD.

21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I personally think that in this scheme, he could be a solid OG, but isn't a OT. I really think Becton has the potential to be a starting LT for it. Watching him at Va Tech, he had the feet, length and awareness to do so, but he needed a LOT of technical work.

22. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Why do you guys think that? He beat out Max Starks for the swing tackle position, and looked great at LT before getting hurt. Was primed to make a huge 2nd year leap, and it was all primarily due to the coaching he received in SD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,365
    Joe D proved last year that he can do more with less than most OL coaches out there, so I'm excited to see what Harris can do.

24. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    He's pretty technically sound and is a guy who does what he can to win matchups. But i think that his length and feet project better at OG in this scheme than it does at OT. I'll add that i think Becton is a guy Joe D really likes and wants to groom as a possible swing OT, possibly even a starting LT at some point, he has that kind of talent.

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +444
    I'm saying he can be a v good RT but Fluker probably has that spot sewn up for next 10 yrs hence why I said he might become that great RT elsewhere. U think he could stick and beat out/replace Dunlap at LT?. That'd be a stretch for me but I wouldn't say it'd be impossible. He did play mostly RT in school.

26. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    well he looked great last year At LT before getting hurt. I'm pretty confident he will remain #3 on the depth chart playing swing tackle. So no I dont think he'll beat out Dunlap. I just think hes easily better than Becton and will remain at the swing spot.

He could be the future at LT after Dunlap. We'll see.

27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    We supposedly gave this OT Jeremiah Sirles, a big signing bonus, which means we really wanted him. There are limited funds teams can use on UDFA's now for signing bonuses, he got a pretty good chunk of ours.

28. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Source?

29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Gehlken, via the UT Chargers Rookie Camp Preview video with Acee.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Sirles is very interesting. He's got some real potential, but he's got some flaws. He's a guy i'd love to PS for a year or two, and try to make him a backup/Swing Tackle (In a game I watched, the guy literally switched between LT and RT about 5 times just randomly throughout the game, thats harder to do than most people think). But he's got solid agility, awareness and most of all coordination and can block in space well, and knows how to use his length (something Joe D's big on).