1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UDFA

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by clontarf_bolt, Apr 26, 2009.

1. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    what's the process for getting these guys and is there a limit etc to the amount??

is it worth trying out a few??

is there anybody with their eye on anybody in particular??

2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    They’re all fair game, free to sign with any team of their choosing! I guarantee you that most if not all GMs are currently in the process of contacting some of these guys, especially if they’re decent because if they are then some other team may have their eye on them as well.

If you recall, several teams were interested in Antonio Gates after he went undrafted, but he signed with us because he knew our TE coach. A lot of these guys are just camp fodder, used to keep your stars somewhat fresh but some diamonds in the rough are also found among the ranks of the UFA.

3. clontarf_bolt

Ratings:
    +40
    sweet cheers for filling me in!

wonder will we be interested in anybody

4. Boltsessive

Boltsessive Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I think the only real restriction is the maximum roster size for the team. I believe it's 80, including active and reserve players. Brisbane, the U.K. guy last year, was excluded in the number, and he stay on the team, but couldn't play in the regular season anyway.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think the UDFA's and the late round picks will make for some interesting camp battles and some interesting movements on the practice squad.

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

53 on Opening Day.

Only 47 can dress on game day (which is a stupid rule).

6 players have to be inactive because ... it is a business so they say....

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Just depends who we get, I'm hoping we get Russell Allen from SDSU for more LB depth

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. needs to get us a lock down right tackle.

If the Canadian/Jamacan rasta nightmare does not pan out in place of Igor, this is going to be a frustrating season. He will need to start or someone has to fill Igor's shoes pronto.....now.

None of these slobs have any flies on their back so ....

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Igor and Castillo were called upon to start right off of the bat. Shouldnt be any different. We will see if he can go in mini/training camp.

Lets hope he proves to be a monster! :tup:

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Castillo and Igor were FIRST and Second Round Picks. I expect picks that high to start. Nate Kaeding was picked in the 3rd round and was expected to start because those weenies get selected in the lower rounds generally.

This fat boy was selected in the 4th Round. I do not expect 4th Rounders to start but in this case it is do or die at DE.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I wouldn't get my hopes up, this guy is raw, he's a project, he might be ready to take over Jamal's spot in a couple of years, but I don't see him starting at DE, that's going to be Bingham/Cesaire, hopefully he can rotate in and out.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He is raw but apparently has talent. Lets see what Rivera and the D line coach can do with him.

I remember people saying Jamal was raw when he came out... Been pretty good IMO.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    DE by committee sucks ***. We need a starter at every position especially the lines. Especially the trenches otherwise no amount of linebacking or over the top help will matter.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    So where is your "mock draft"? :icon_shrug:

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I do not watch college ball so my input would not matter.

When I see the rookies hit MY field, then they must pass MY litmus test and not any mock. I think mock drafts are weak. Trying to predict who is picking whom and flipping out over players most here have never even seen or heard of is comical. Why? :icon_shrug:

I know our teams weakness and so long as I see the holes getting plugged, whatever happens....happens.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Then why are you Bitc#ing before the season starts? :icon_shrug:

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    maybe, but I do think that's what we'll see, Bingham/Cesarie and Martin

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If the guy is not a starter to fill Igor's shoes that is a problem in my book. A weakness.

Are you happy with a rotation of three players with none as the starter on the line ?

I would hope not .... or any fan for that matter.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    How do you determine if a player is a starter? :icon_huh:

Is it not that he lines up for the first defensive play and plays? Just like any other player?

I believe the point that is trying to be made is that it is way to soon to be suggesting that the sky might be falling...:icon_shrug:

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    They want him at DE basically because they want someone of his power and speed out there ASAP. He's as raw as a piece of sushi man, and to be a NT he'll take probably two years rotating with Jamal but I think he'll be an absolute nightmare to play against.

I'm willing to give Bingham a shot, Cesaire's a damn good backup and let's see who AJ gets in FA. Might find someone there like we found Cesaire. And RT, its either Shelton or Clark for me. Clary goes back to being a backup

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    They generally EARN it or have it handed to them (LT, Rivers etc) because of the draft.

We need a STARTER at DE. I hope this kid can win the starting job. Someone else suggested he was a project and would be in the rotation blah blah blah....well ok but we need a starter at DE.

The lines need to have consistency otherwise ...... there will be problems bringing any type of "heat" WHAT-SO-EVER.

The front 3 have to do their job.

When Jamal was playing himself into shape last year - he got owned (as did the whole defense) and he finally put together a monster year. Castillo needs to stay healthy and earn his paycheck as well.

7-9, here we come (plus another division title) . :yes:

22. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I read somewhere (sorry don't remember where) that Rivera already has him projected as a starter at DE and eventually to more over to Nose Tackle.

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    They said that they were going to start him at DE and work him into the NT role. That doesn't mean he'll be a starter, just that he'll begin his career at DE.

Hopefully this kid will show he's a quick study and move up the depth chart. He certainly has the physical skills.

24. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Don't expect Martin to get lots of playing time straight off.

He's quite gifted, but very raw. He has lots to learn. I would expect him to start rotating in with Cesaire and Bingham by the end of the season. Maybe next year be a regular starter. Maybe a year or two after that take over for Jamal.

It's OK though. They've been grooming Bingham to be able to hold down that right DE spot for a year or so. This has been planned. Add in Cesaire to the rotation and maybe Martin later on, and we will be OK there. It won't be any worse than last year, seeing as how Igor didn't really play much last year.

Also, remember Merriman will be back, and he makes the whole defense better.

25. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    This is EXACTLY what I wanted to happen. And with a guy this big, it's a plus. Balt. did this with Haloti Ngata, since Kelly Gregg was playing at a high level at NT.

Jamal is still a stud at NT. Luis has one DE locked down, hopefully he can play like the star he should be. I think Cesaire would be the other DE, since he basically has been an extra starter the last few seasons. He started 10 games in 2006, and 12 in 2004, so he has experience. Bingham can rotate like he always does, but they should work the rookie in until hopefully he's a starter next year at DE, or even earlier. A 350 Monster NT, flanked by a 330 DE and a 295 potential stud, that's a run stopping line. Cooper and co. will run free behind them

26. clontarf_bolt

Ratings:
    +40
    According to http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2009/04/2009-undrafted-free-agent-signings-list.html we picked up the following players as UDFA:

Chargers
    LB Darry Beckwith (LSU)
    OL Ryan McDonald (Illinois)
    WR Charly Martin (West Texas A&M)
    OT Sam Allen (Grand Valley St.)
    OT Dan Gay IV (Baylor)
    TE Kory Sperry (CSU)
    DT Rashaad Jackson (Clemson)
    LB James Holt (Kansas)
    TE Jermiah Wurzbacher (NDSU)
    RB Curtis Brinkley (Syracuse)
    CB Wopamo Osaisai (Stanford)

• Like Like x 1
  27. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

Good ballplayer. Somewhat injury prone, but there was a big difference in our D when he was on the field vs. when he wasn't.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Tx for checking in man and giving us the low down on the Tigers a coming!!.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That would make my day and part of the season. I understand the dude is a sleeper in this draft.

The kid is also use to playing one yard off the ball in Canada versus over his man in the NFL. He will not have a head start or as much time to think and react.

The learning curve for linemen is not as steep as other positions and do not require a long honeymoon to get them up to speed so that is another saving grace.

The negative is our long time D-line coach Wayne Nunnely is gone and now we have a new dude in that slot. I hope Rivera has someone who can coach up the kids technique and not a buddy who needs a paycheck as d-line coach. F'n NFL ....

30. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Tackle and ends....more line help.

If our left tackle goes down (or right tackle for that matter), it would be nice to have a Roman Oben type swing tackle in place to fill that gap. If Jamal goes down ...... adios amigos.