1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UFA, RFA, and ERFA...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MadMike, Jan 25, 2007.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +502
    OK, so according to the UT article this morning, this is the status of our free agents:

Chargers free agents

Unrestricted free agents

Four or more years of service; They can sign with any team when their contracts expire March 1:

Kris Dielman
    Randall Godfrey
    Donnie Edwards
    Leander Jordan
    Carlos Polk
    Az-Zahir Hakim
    Cory Withrow

Restricted free agents

Can sign offer sheets with other teams, but the Chargers can keep them by matching the offer within seven days:

Ryon Bingham
    Ryan Krause
    Shaun Phillips
    Michael Turner

Exclusive rights free agents

Less than three years of service; Chargers must make an offer to them by March 1 or they become unrestricted free agents:

Greg Camarillo
    Malcom Floyd
    Marques Harris
    Derreck Robinson
    Cory Lekkerkerker

So my question is, who do we tender, who do we let test the market and hopefully comeback, and who do we let walk? This is my list:

Tender:

Dielman - Give him 5 Million a year for 5 years and lock him up.

Polk - Give him 1 Million a year to tear up special teams and backup Merriman.

Withrow - Tender him backup line money (1 Mil?)

Bingham - Tender him 2nd round money. He has improved a bunch this season and got good playing time.

Phillips - Tender him 1st to 2nd round money. We need to keep this guy because we all know that Foley is a longshot to ever return.

Turner - Tender him 1st or 1st and 3rd round money. Then trade him to the highest bidder. I hate to see him go but he is way more valuable to us this year then he is next year when we would have to pull a complicated Franchise and trade deal off.

Floyd - Sign him now. Whether we draft or trade for a new WR, this guy is #3 as it stands right now.

Harris - Tender this guy decent money, solid backup to the OLB's and the dude can back flip.

Robinson - Tender him decent money. He played well in backup this year.

Test the market:

Camarillo - Let him check the market and then sign him on the cheap after the draft.

Lekkerkerker - kerkerkekrkekr... Let him check his value and then sign him after the draft.

Walk:

Randall Godfrey - Most likely retiring, if he does not I would not be opposed to signing him to a 1 year deal for 1.5 Million to backup Stephen Cooper.

Donnie Edwards - I would keep him and use him as a combo with Wilhelm, bringing Donnie in with the Nickel package, but we all know he is gone.

Leandar Jordan - Let him walk on by like he does with most pass rushers.

Az-Zahir Hakim - Stop-Gap. Not worth the Veteran minimum he would command.

Ryan Krause - Wheelchair him out, I'm pretty sure he can't walk anymore and if he can he would injure himself on the way out.

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Can we also use this thread for potential free agent additions from other teams?

OK, then... I will.

ADD:
    • Drew Bennett - WR - Titans (UFA)
    • Adalius Thomas - LB - Ravens (UFA)

I know, I know... we probably won't get either of 'em. But this is the time to dream and create all kinds of nutty speculation. :icon_high:

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    Dielman - likely gone
    Withrow - good backup, signed
    Polk - good special teams, signed
    Turner - traded for a first round tender
    Phillips - highest tender, will probably be resigned long term after the draft
    Jordan - gone
    Godfrey - retired
    Edwards - gone
    Krause - kept but likely to be cut in camp
    Camarillo - whatever

FA
    Deon Grant - move to SS, another great cover safety
    Leonard Davis - don't know where but we'll find a place for him

Draft
    Johnny Lee higgins
    Doug Free
    a corner back

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    1. Leonard Davis to right tackle. Move Olivea to left guard.
    2. I don't have a good feeling about Johnny Lee Higgins. I don't like the three-name-combo.
    Remember: Hart Lee Dykes? Neither does anyone else.:lol:

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    What about Asante Samuel from New England?

Apparantly he wants out of New England because he wants a big contract and they won't give it to him.

With that in mind...is he worth ponying up for?

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    UFAs, we need to make every effort to keep Dielman. If Godfrey wants to play another year offer him a contract. I really wouldn't mind seeing Donny on the roster next year, for depth if nothing else, but I suspect that he will not be returning. Everyone else can walk.

RFAs tender Bingham, Turner & Philips. Match anything offered to Philips, and if we can get a 1st for Turner let him go.

EFAs Lekerkerker is the only one that saw much playing time and he looked at least good enough to bring back for depth. The other guys I think only somebody that has seen those guys practice can me a good evaluation.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    how about Billy Joe Tolliver? :lol:
    I'd love to get davis at RT; he's such a freakin giant and such a road grader, give him a good OL coach like we've got and a good support in the rest of the team.

Can you imagine:

LT: McNeil
    LG: Olivea
    C: Hardwick
    RG: Kyle Young (draft pick)
    RT: Davis

GOD DAMNED!:icon_eek:

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,298
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=SD