1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Union disputes league claim that franchise tags are available

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Feb 3, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Union disputes league claim that franchise tags are available | ProFootballTalk

The NFL has told teams that the franchise tag will be available to them this offseason. But the NFL Players’ Association disagrees.

In a memo to all NFLPA certified agents, the union said that the league cannot restrict players’ movement by using the franchise tag.

“We have received reports that the NFL is advising clubs that they can place a franchise tag on players whose contracts will expire at the end of the 2010 league year,” the Union says in the memo, a copy of which was obtained by PFT.

“The current CBA provides that ‘each club shall be permitted to designate one of its players who would otherwise be an Unrestricted Free Agent [or Restricted Free Agent] as a Franchise Player each season during the term of this Agreement.’ The 2011 season is not a ‘season during the term of this Agreement’ so the NFL has no valid
    basis for claiming the right to franchise players in 2011.

“If you have had any discussions with clubs about their intent to use the Franchise designation for the 2011 season please contact the NFLPA to discuss this matter. Meanwhile, we will make sure that the rights of any players improperly designated will be protected.”

So we can add the franchise tag to the list of items that the league and the union disagree about, with a month to go before a likely lockout.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's not that they disagree on whether the franchise tag should be a part of a CBA, it's being disputed whether it's applicable to players who would become UFA's in the event of a lack of CBA (specifically debatable as to whether it could be used this year).

And unless I'm missing something in the contract language - which is entirely possible since the NFLPA removed the PDF of the previous CBA's from their website which is kind of janky and yet another DeMaurice Smith attempt at a power play - the franchise tender exists as a means to stave off unrestricted free agency for a particular player (whom is considered a critical component to his franchise) for one year and as such he is compensated as one of the Top 5 (realistically Top 3 because it's an average of Top 5 contracts; and that's assuming worst case scenario of Exclusive Rights Franchise Tender) players at his position would be for that year. This is why the deadline and time period for exercising the franchise tender is prior to the end of an official league year - or prior to the start of a new league year, however you want to look at it.

That said, the Union's claim is both right and wrong, I believe. There is no CBA in place governing the 2011 season, however the 2011 season doesn't open for business until March with the owners meetings. I realize that it's easy to paint an easy "end" to the 2010 season as soon as the game-clock expires for the Super Bowl and a new champion is crowned, but from a business end there are still roughly 3 weeks of wrap-up to the 2010 season. And that is the period during which the league has historically set aside for the designation of franchise and transition players. So for 2011 season business there is no franchise tag but that tagging period wouldn't exist until the conclusion of a 2011 season which hasn't even been played.

Methinks, unless I'm missing something in the way I read things (and that is possible), that this is just another instance of DeMaurice Smith trying to twist facts to make things look like they're in the PA's favor when they're really not.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The NFL wants the NFLPA to look like the bad guys here.....but Mo Smith isn't helping matters. Everytime this guy speaks he sounds a little more childish and out of control.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I don't think it will matter, the teams can franchise tag players, but it would only become effective once a there's a new CBA with a franchise tag

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I hate to say it, but it's because he's an outsider. When Gene Upshaw (curse his dirty Raider heart...) spoke up the players in the Union could connect with him because he was one of them. Even if they didn't necessarily understand or agree with his stance, they were more apt to believe him when he said he understood where they were coming from and his professions of acting in what he believed was the best interest of the association. Mo Smith's business is business law; if he ever played football it was in high school. He treats all of these proceedings as he would any sort of act going on in a corporate boardroom, which has its pros and cons. But it's the cons that are getting more publicity due to the media and the likes of Antonio Cromartie where the players themselves feel left out of the entire matter - which can quickly lead to feeling isolated, shut out, and an insurrection - because Smith is adopting such a closed-doors philosophy even to his association's constituents - a near majority of which don't even have a full collegiate education.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    the Players can say all they want. I beat they have a really hard time signing with another team if they had that tag given to them.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    What happens when the union decertifies?

9. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    good question, I do not know.

The other question is there even going to be a 2011 season.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    At this point I am thinking it is 65/45 no.

At least not with the star players we are used to.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I have all ready paid full price to see a bunch of scabs play once, I dont think it will happen a second time. Now if they want to reduce the price of my ticket to watch a bunch of 5th 6th and 7th round players who did not make the team last year play, then things might change.

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I can understand that take. I agree. However, I doubt the ticket prices would change much, but then again right now my opinion of owners/players/et al is very low, the greedy sunsabeeotches!

13. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    This needs to be reiterated. I dont like the owners for trying to CRAM the 18 game part to no end. And players should be willing to accept a rookie pay scale system. Also long ago I remember the stipulation about contract lengths on a pay scale, and that they would be more avg 3 year deals and not much of any 4-5 year rookie contracts... Teams need more than 3 years for most players to develop and I hate THIS side of it. 3 years vs 5 only means a diffrence in their rate of pay on the second contract, so maybe im just makin too much of it. One way or another players are gonna get PAID once they establish as a NFL calibur product. I dont like all the talk that already the 2011 season could be missing games. And wtf is gonna happen when the 18 game season starts and its only 15 games long.. wtf will have been the point... As you can probably tell I am VERY opposed to any more regular game additoins. Now adding another team per division in the post season... IMO 12 teams is perfect, but this would probably be a avenue of extending the NFL season I could get on board. Hell even with Sunday Tick, its hard as hell to watch even 4 games at once and actulay enjoy them all 4. Usualy its 1 major focal game and 3 commercial break games, but still I have had times I got into a game and forgot to change back to the Primary game on at that time. Owell this problem will never be solved unless they do something crazy like M-F game broadcasts! Its not like Primetime TV is even close to watchable let alone entertaining.

14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074

the last time they had a lockout, they charged us full value for the scab games. Where is the value in that? The only ones who made any money was the owners. We paid full value on everything, tickets, parking, concessions everything. And the players were getting paid pennies that the stars got. Those games were televised so the owners got the television revenue. What did the players get besides the shaft?

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I feel like he's hiding somthing in his underbite.:glare:

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I see no evidence anywhere that there is a modicum of progress in defining even a framework for negotiations, since each side is taking a diametrically opposed stance on virtually everything. I would think the vets would back a rookie structure, since it should mean more money down the line for them but that doesn't seem to be the case. They are miles apart on free agency rules. They aren't even negotiating, apparently, over the size of the salary pool. The odds of a lockout look more like 4-1 to me, despite the fact that most teams are hiring coaches and filling staffs. As far as an 18 game season goes, the players would be nuts not to press for expanded rosters, more money and a flexible IR rule. I'm not sure I'm sold on 18 games, anyway. It will shorten already generally short career spans even more.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Damn well said.

I was just talking to a friend about the proposed 18 games and we both agreed that at that season length the average career for a RB will be shortened to 5-7 years. And that would be in a expanded roster every team has incorporated rotaitional backs and still shorter careers for all.

Lockout or not the new CBA needs to at the very least address this soon to be league wide issue.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I agree with most everything but the contention that an 18 game schedule will shorten careers. That is like saying players who play in the playoffs will have shorter careers.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Its just not going to be the RB's but everyone. Come super bowl time every team has had to endure its share of injuries. It will take its toll on everyone.

If the NFL wants to listen to the fans, then drop 2 preseaon games and keep the 16 game schedule.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I have a feeling this is a ploy by the owners. I don't think they really want expanded rosters or 18 game schedules. The owners will acquiesce when negotiations get down to give & take and crow about how they have been the more giving party in the game of billionaire vs. millionaire

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I honestly beleive that after all is said and done and the new CBA is ironed out, it will look like the Owners were the heroes. I beleive I said this once already.

I think with all the length of talk from Goodell about 18 games that the Owners WILL make it part of the deal. Players have voiced concerns, but they are already preparing for those long regular seasons. I would love it if your right and they can drop the 18 issue out of their proposal. Would make the players be in the position to make their generous sacrifice and work out a better pay scale agreement.