1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Union tells agents to prepare for lockout

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Dec 24, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Union tells agents to prepare for lockout

Posted by Mike Florio on December 24, 2010, 1:47 PM EST

Despite whispers and hints of optimism on the labor front, the NFL Players Association continues to prepare for a lockout.

Earlier this week, the union notified that the annual agent seminar held in conjunction with the February Scouting Combine will be mandatory for all certified contract advisors. Previously, agents could choose between attending the Indianapolis session and an annual meeting conducted in Los Angeles.

“This will be your opportunity to hear directly from union leaders about the status of CBA negotiations and what may transpire in the weeks shortly thereafter,” the union said in an e-mail sent to all agents, a copy of which was obtained by PFT.

The meeting is scheduled for February 25. The current labor agreement expires on February 3.

The e-mail also asks the agents to avoid three Indianapolis hotels: the Hyatt Regency, the Westin, and the Sheraton. “[T]hey have labor issues and our contract advisors should not do business with companies that do not treat their employees with fairness and respect,” the e-mail states. (In other words, “We need to continue to pander to the unions representing the true ‘working people’ so that those unions will be inclined support a union of millionaires.”)

Meanwhile, Albert Breer of NFL Network reports that NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith recently conducted a conference call with “about 30 select and high-profile agents,” during which call Smith said that the negotiations are “not going good.”

“[H]e said the most important thing is that we encourage our clients to save their last few checks,” one agent told Breer.

Smith also said that he doesn’t “have a clue” regarding the origin of optimism expressed by some owners regarding a new deal before the Super Bowl.

We continue to hope that both sides acquire a clue and schedule intensive, continuous negotiating sessions as soon as possible. If such meetings don’t start by February, there’s no way a deal will be done before the current CBA expires in early March.

Union tells agents to prepare for lockout | ProFootballTalk

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    While a lockout may well come to fruition, at this point in time I see this as just another negotiating tactic & a bit of muscle-flexing.

I honestly don't give a crap but that's because I can easily ramp up my football fix via college.

I feel pretty sorry for some you poor suckers. haha

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This should read March 3rd and not February 3rd.

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    So a Lockout in 2011 and a move to L.A in 2012? How can things get any worse?

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814

This is where I would throw in my "U" comment but after this crappy season I think I will hold back.

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,422
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I love G.R.I.T.S. to hell with pro-football.