1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UNOFFICIAL GAMEDAY THREAD - CHARGERS VS. SEAHAWKS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Ok boy and girls I noticed no Unofficial gameday thread started so we need to get cracking. :bolt:

This Sunday the Chargers square off with the Seattle Seahawks at 5PM at Jack Murphy stadium.

This will be game one of the pre-season and the official start of Chargers football.

The sour taste of the playoffs still lingers and a new season will be the mouth wash.

Get ready to rock your jocks.

It is time for football and everything else just went in the backseat.

The Seahawks have a couple of players dinged up most notably their left tackle whathisname with a shoulder injury.

It should be a good test for the boys in blue considering the Seachickens are no slouches.

In 48 hours, all hell breaks loose.

Can you dig it?

Go Chargers !!!!! :bolt:

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

Who are you specifically scouting out on Sunday's game.

For me its:
    Whitehurst
    Weddle
    Davis
    Cro
    Sproles

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I want to see Cro pick off some passes, Turner will be fun. Pretty much the whole team, actually. :) That is, if I'm sober enough to rercognize whats going on.

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I am watching Davis, Legoland Nanu, Scott Chandler (this dude is going to be another Pete Holohan from my reads), Clinton Hart's battle with Weddle and our back up nose tackle Ryon Bingham.

Those players have my curiosity up.

5. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    I hope and pray that Bingham can become very good for us. Or that a monster falls into the Chargers lap during the draft.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Our achilles heel is losing Jamal Williams. If that happens, the season is cooked.

It makes me feel very uncomfortable we are one player away from serious deep ******.

7. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Yep, I forgot to mention Nanu Nanu. I'm watching him closesly too. I think he replaces Osgood as our ST's stud.

8. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wow. Brazen move.

If so this dude should be stud and hopefully he can catch and block.

9. PowderLove

Ratings:
    +494
    If that happens, the sky will probably fall after all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654

Dude, if it happens, I think I will stay away frm the forums for a day or so until the crying stops and threats of suicides subside. :yes:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    My group to watch

Eric Weddle
    Craig Davis
    Brandon McKinney
    Antonio Cromartie
    Darren Sproles - PR/KR
    Scott Mrzucowski
    Antwaan Applewhite

12. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    I read somewhere that McKinney is having a monster camp. Jamal even said that when he's coming in to replace him that the defense is rocking on with Brandon in the middle.

13. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    The only one single player this team can't afford to lose is Rivers. Everyone else is replaceable to some extent.

• Like Like x 1
  14. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

15. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm interested in seeing how good Volek is to justify his QB backup status. Also, that rookie center from Cal with all the tattoos, I'd like to see how he does.

Legoland Nanu, you crack me up. :lol:

Oldie Out

16. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Agreed.

One more to watch is #9 McKnight

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

I guess the real question is how does the Bolts' junior-varsity stack up against the Shawks' j-v? Everything I've heard so far about pre-season games indicates that teams will only play starters for about the first quarter. The Bolts have what looks (to my uneducated eyes) like an insane level of quality in the back-ups. I mean we've been talking right here in this forum about rookies competing for the starting position against veteran players.

So are we really talking about a game that will consist of 3 quarters of Bolts back-ups and rookies playing against Shawks back-ups and rookies? And if so, am I even more totally stupid than usual, or does this bode well for a Bolts victory?
    :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: :unsure:

18. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup, the DL coach in an article in the UT earlier this week said that McKinney was much improved this offseason. So it looks for him to be penciled in as Jamal's backup. McKinney has been studying Jamal a lot and doing a lot of the same things he has.

So, it appears Bingham is competing for a backup DE spot versus Robinson and Cesaire.

Cesaire did really well last year when in, so it's mainly Bingham vs. Robinson.

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    • Chargers Chargers offensive coordinator Clarence Shelmon served as Seahawks running backs coach from 1992-97…Running backs coach Matt Simon coached running backs and special teams at the University of Washington from 1982-91 and is a member of the school’s athletic Hall of Fame…Scout Paul Skansi caught 166 passes for 1,950 yards and 10 touchdowns during his eight-year playing career with the Seahawks (1983-91)…Skansi is a Tacoma native who played played collegiate ball at the University of Washington…He now resides in Poulsbo, Washington…Scout Tom McConnaughey resides in Federal Way and spent 14 years coaching high school football in the Seattle area…Center/guard Cory Withrow is a native of Spokane and attended Washington State…Wide receiver Sonny Shackelford played at the University of Washington.

• Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner and Seahawks offensive coordinator Gil Haskell worked together at USC and with the Los Angeles Rams…Seahawks defensive coordinator John Marshall was an assistant at the University of Oregon when Turner played quarterback for the Ducks…Turner and Marshall also coached together at USC…Marshall coached linebackers and special teams with the Green Bay Packers when Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton was in the prime of his Hall of Fame playing career with the team…Chargers tight ends coach Clancy Barone held the same position in Atlanta when Seattle Assistant Head Coach/Secondary Jim Mora was the Falcons head coach…Mora is a former Chargers assistant (1986-91)…Seahawks offensive coordinator Gil Haskell coached special teams and wide receivers at the University of Southern California from 1978-82…Offensive line coach Bill Laveroni coached with Chargers special teams coach Steve Crosby for one season at Vanderbilt (2001)…Special Projects/defense coach Ray Rhodes was the head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles when Chargers head athletic trainer James Collins held the same position in Philly…Seahawks assistant offensive line coach Keith Gilbertson was the head coach at Cal-Berkeley when David Binn played for the Bears…Gilbertson and Chargers running backs coach Matt Simon worked together at the Univ. of Washington…Seahawks defensive assistant Larry Marmie was the Rams defensive coordinator when Chargers quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell was on Mike Martz’s staff and tight end Brandon Manumaleuna played for the squad…Ramsdell was the quarterbacks coach in St. Louis when Seahawks defensive end Bryce Fisher played for the Rams.

• Seahawks safety Brian Russell played at San Diego State.

• Seahawks punter Ryan Plackemeier is a native of Bonsall, Calif….Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer and Seahawks offensive tackle Ray Willis both attended Angleton High School in Angleton Texas.

• The following players were college teammates: Chargers defensive tackle Ryon Bingham and Seahawks kicker Josh Brown at Nebraska… Chargers linebacker Marques Harris and Seahawks wide receiver D.J. Hackett at Colorado…Chargers center Nick Hardwick and linebacker Shaun Phillips with Seahawks linebacker Niko Koutouvides and Craig Terrill at Purdue…Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer with Seahawks defensive tackle Marcus Tubbs at Texas…Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and Seahawks offensive tackle Sean Locklear at NC State…Chargers punter Brian Monroe and Seahawks defensive end Baraka Atkins and cornerback Kelly Jennings at Miami…Chargers linebacker Jyles Tucker and Seahawks safety Patrick Ghee at Wake Forrest…Chargers cornerback Paul Oliver and safety Tra Battle with Seahawks quarterback David Greene at Georgia…Chargers linebacker Anthony Waters and quarterback Charlie Whitehurst with Seahawks linebacker Leroy Hill at Clemson…Chargers offensive tackle Marcus McNeill and Seahawks cornerback Kevin Hobbs, linebacker Will Herring, wide receiver Ben Obomanu and wide receiver Courtney Taylor at Auburn…Chargers cornerback Cletis Gordon and Seahawks wide receiver Chris Jones at Jackson State…Chargers tight end/H-back Legedu Naanee and Seahawks kicker Tyler Jones at Boise State…Chargers defensive end Luis Castillo and Seahawks center Austin King and linebacker Kevin Bentley at Northwestern…Chargers wide receiver Kassim Osgood and Seahawks safety Brian Russell at San Diego State…Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman and Seahawks cornerback Josh Wilson at Maryland.

20. oldschool1

oldschool1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Placing Bingham at DE? That would be interesting, he looks big enough to spell Olshansky. But I'm concerned about Bingham's speed and range to play the position.

Oldie Out

21. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    And for the peeps outside of SD, just a reminder:

5:00pm - 8:00pm PST, NBC
    Sunday Night Football : "Exhibition: Seahawks at Chargers"
    :abq2: :football: :icon_toast: :abq2:

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    Actually, Bingham got quite a few snaps at DE when Luis missed time last season. He played decent enough.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

TO EARLY TO BE JACKED UP!!??

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  24. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20070809.php

Enough tickets have been sold to lift the local television blackout for NBC’s Sunday Night Football telecast of the Chargers-Seahawks game at Qualcomm Stadium. Kickoff is at 5:07 p.m. PST and the game will be televised in San Diego on KNSD-TV (Channel 7/39) and in Los Angeles and Orange County on KNBC-TV (Channel 4). Al Michaels (play-by-play) and John Madden (analyst) will call the game while Andrea Kremer reports from the sidelines.

A limited number of tickets are available online at www.chargers.com or at the Chargers Ticket Office at Qualcomm Stadium (Gate C).

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Nope.

It's FRIDAY AND AFTER 12 NOON
    :icon_toast: :icon_toast: :icon_party:

26. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    its 5pm somewhere

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    SOMETHING TO FIRE THE BOLT SOUL !!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rmtc0rA911Q"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rmtc0rA911Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a7QhFIz-1ew"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a7QhFIz-1ew" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P8hU0rAa9Vo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P8hU0rAa9Vo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

28. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Wow this thread is way early

Ill be watchig only a few since they are the only ones that might contribute a lot this year:

Davis
    Weddle
    Waters

Want to see how Sproles does and how Gross does.

I think Gross will be a key factor for 2008

Naanee is an interesting one to watch as well

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.