1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Unofficial post game thread

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    Yes Rivers had 4 TD's, but couldnt Finish when needed. Any thoughts...

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    The more things change the more things stay the same

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah. I think I'm gonna throw up.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,208
    Chargers suck. They have no testicular fortitude. Year in and year out they give games away. Why did we keep Pags? His D's cant make a stop on 3rd down without the other team messing up. Rivers.... Rivers you are broken. You cant play 60 minutes any more. You guys cut my heart out damn you!

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Only thought...Whithurst should sub in in the 4th quarter from now on.

There was one bad drop by Royal, but the game was over before that thanks to Rivers being a choking dog.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Well, that could've been better.

7. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +193
    I am a big fan of Rivers, but he just isnt the same as having Peyton, Brady, Brees (post bolts), dare I say Eli (despite last night), to just make a drive to either score, or burn time. I know there we bone head errors, but seems like the above QBs rise above it. That's what Shaub did, and I dont consider him in the group above (which I dont consider Rivers in that group either).

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I'm actually wondering this about Pags myself. For all the talk about continuity on defense, why did we want to continue it? We were bottom 10% in the league in 3rd down defense for two straight years under him - that's a stat that should get ANY DC fired. Much less to consider that arguably the best DC in the league (who runs a 3-4) and was just an assistant to the coach we brought in as our OC was on the market and... I don't get it.

If your unit doesn't have a high-end pass-rush you cannot run a singular coverage scheme (i.e just man or just zone), you have to be fluid and working situational play-calling. Ray Horton understood this - he had mediocre at best edge-rushers in Arizona and turned them into the #2 overall defense in the league last season with scheming and strategy.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I read a lot of "See, this is how awesome we can be now that horrible Norv is gone" posts the first half.

Norv coached 96 regular season games as a Charger, and the inexcusable disaster
    against the Broncos last October was probably his biggest collapse.

We have a new candidate for worst Charger collapse, tonight, in Game 1 of the McCoy regime.

Now, I truly hope that 6 years from now, 9/9/13 is still the biggest collapse of an
    otherwise really successful McCoy/Charger run. Norv's always been a handy whipping boy,
    regardless of the details, but I'm starting to consider slowing down my whipping of Norv...
    if only because my arm is getting a bit tired. I'm okay with Norv being fired...
    maybe the team needed a fresh perspective. And I think McCoy performed miracles with Tebow,
    so I'm eager to see what he can do here. And maybe it's time to let byNorvs be bygones...

10. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    No balls. Can't defend on 3rd down. Norv playcalling 2nd half. Rivers and co melting in 4th. McCoy was the king of San Diego for a half and now he's norv turner.

11. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Maybe the problem isn't the HC but the QB.

12. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Texans got another 1st down fr. 3rd and 33 just now.

13. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    I think the biggest problem with SD is the 4th down rule. If 4th down didn't exist...the Chargers defense would be hard to top.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Thoughts, yea actualy:

iF U C Kay, tell her I love her.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Not saying Norv didn't leave his own poor imprints on this team (piss poor development of talent at a lot of positions, free passes to underachieving assistants and players constantly given out), but in considering the DC situation above something occurred to me. The issue went beyond Norv and he was more symptom than cause. Sad thing is, the cause likely isn't changing anytime soon so we're pretty well up the proverbial creek.

Pagano's defenses (both years; he was only our DC in 2012, but he was one of Manusky's main assistants in 2011) were in the bottom 3 in the league in 3rd down defense - consistently couldn't get off the field, let teams come back on us, etc. Does that sound like a DC, when you have an opportunity to make an easy clean-break and start anew, that you should want to retain in the name of "continuity"? By saying they want to keep him, they're saying they want to "continue" the pattern of terrible 3rd down defense. And who was it that was making retaining Pagano as DC a contingency of the HC hiring? Why, that would be Dean and the other Spanos' wouldn't it?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    I like Philip. I really do. (and if I were in charge of repopulating the planet after a worldwide disaster, he's got a spot in the bunker!)

And--circa 2010--I used to really believe that he was a top 5 QB.

But people have pointed out for years that PR's performance in pressure situations is mediocre. Or worse.
    Tom Brady, Joe Montana, etc., seem just the opposite...to be better in crunch time than in the 2nd quarter
    against the Jags. PR is, overall, a better than average QB...but his record shows that you don't want him
    leading a 4th quarter comeback.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DenverBolt

DenverBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Maybe it's way to early, but if these types of games keep happening, this will be River's last year in San Diego. The guy just can't win anymore and gives too many ITs in crucial situations. It can't all be blamed on the O line protection or play calling.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Or a 4th quarter 2 TD lead either apparently.

19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,453
    Fiery is OK, but being a hothead isn't. A little more calm under pressure is what we need. Peyton, Brady, and Brees might be boring, but they don't lose focus after getting into it with the refs. Take it down a notch. Philip.

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    The Good:
    The first half.
    Mathews and his partners in the running game.
    Royal and Brown
    Rivers had more than 1 second to get rid of the ball.

The Bad:
    Most of the second half.
    Abandoning the run. Those 3 and outs killed us.
    Sieve defense on 3rd-down (and long, mind you)..giving those up like Annabel Chong
    One bad throw by Philip
    One bad drop by Royal
    One phantom? penalty on Cam on field-goal (disputable, maybe)
    I guess play-action has not part in this regime's playbook
    Never double teamed superstar receiver A Johnson.
    M80 could not shake coverage.

The Ugly:
    Was the Q really as mild as it sounded on T.V., especially when the D was getting set for
    those 3rd and longs?

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100
    View 34 was going pretty good during 3rd downs but some areas around us were quiet.

Good effort from Mathews, J.Johnson, Weddle, Brown. Can't say much for everyone else. Scifi really let me down too.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    They aren't boring though, this idea people have that these guys go through struggles with a perpetual blank stare and take it up the *** on bad calls is FALSE. Jeff Saturday has said on the record how often Peyton undressed his O-line, and we've seen Brady many times point and yell at refs on the rare occasion something doesn't go his way.

This false opinion exists because those guys always win, and have rings , and can therefore get away with murder.

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Bolts are in mid-season form. Unfortunately, they're in mid-2011, 2012-season form.

24. ChargerMech

ChargerMech BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Even with the disappointing lost, I'm happy with how the Chargers played. The new coaching staff brought a team with Super Bowl like expectations to their heels. The defense will get better and talent level will replenish to realistically complete with the big teams.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I didn't get to watch the gme live so I am watching it now, I am thinking the same, I thought the sound of fans cheering was the ocean

26. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,071
    When does the "OFFICIAL" thread on this subject start up ?

I can't take an unofficial one seriously enough.

27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
  29. Eurobolt Mike

Eurobolt Mike BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi folks!

It seems a little like groundhog day here.
    Same old Chargers, same old result...
    or is it?

A few observations if anyone would care to reply.

1. The roster lacks depth.
    This explains why we seem to wilt so badly towards the 4th quarter. Our first string are good enough to compete but after they get tired...

2. What happened to the running game?
    Mathews was invisible in the second half. You don't throw the ball when you're up by 21 in the third quarter, you run the ball and take time out of the game.
    Was that on Mike McCoy or are our RB's injured (or simply not good enough)?

3. The game momentum was wrenched from the Chargers and given to the Texans with the bs call on Cam Thomas.
    The simple maths show that if you take 4 points away from the Texans, the Chargers win the game.

4. It's much better to build on a 'Chargers squeeze past Texans' result than the inevitable 'Chargers choke' reports that are going to flood the boards and media. Do you think that a possible 9 - 7 season has just dropped to an 8 - 8 at best?

I saw much to be encouraged by against the 'rusty' Texans in the first half, lets hope that the new coaching staff can break down what went wrong and change the things they have control over. The things they don't? Well it's over to you Mr. Telesco

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +121
    the good i saw in the game.
    dj fluker was doing pretty good against jj watt. while not perfect he did better than i expected
    jarrett johnson was everywhere.
    royal looked good but not as well as i would have hoped.

the bad
    the secondary completely lacked aggressiveness. and awareness to even play the ball.
    the d line didnt get into the back field like i thought they would. reyes and liuget are monsters, but it seemed like they only have one move,
    the coaching, doesnt seem like players are making leaps or learning from the previous years

31. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Slow ur roll on the whole 4 less pts crap. Had the Texans not missed a FG that would be jus as moot as that argument ur tryin to put out as a point of interst. Point of interest had they not missed that FG they still would have won the game. ;/

BUT 1 and 2 yea what happend? I realy wanna kno was RM injured somewhere we didnt see cuz it seemed to me all of a sudden snap after snap was Ronnie Brown on the field there in the third quarter....