1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Update: Chargers/volek/edwards

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 31, 2006.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,890
    I got a call from Ray about 15mins ago telling me that a friend of a friend of his who works for the Chargers was asking questions about the Chargers trading for Billy Volek. his line of inquiry was shut down quickly by AJ Smith's personal assistant (no less) for his line of questioning consisting of 'sensitive material'.

This got me interested so I called a source of mine at Charger park and a friend who has access to the Titans camp. From what I've heard the Chargers were initially told that Volek is avaliable for a 5th round draft pick. The Chargers then questioned about whether the Titans are interested in Donnie Edwards. Turns out they are, but mixing Donnie and Volek means that the Chargers are giving more then they're getting. That's what AJ Smith is arguing. The Titans front office has talked about a straight up swap of Edwards for Volek which AJ shot down pretty quickly. Titans do NOT want to give up a first day pick (a 3rd) for Donnie and have been arguing that Volek could knock down the pick to a high second day (a 4th perhaps).

The last offer I heard tossed around was:
    Donnie Edwards to the Titans for Billy Volek and a 4th.
    I can't comment on what the Titans said in response

So far negotiations are on-going and AJ is also busy talking about the last round of cuts with marty. I'd say they're half way done in hte negotiating process but Edwards is on the table for Volek

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Very interesting, Ant.

I'd rather give up the 5th rounder for Volek, and trade Donnie to the Saints for that conditional 4th/3rd.

3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Too bad they don't have Kearse around anymore:(

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Dude old news .... The Browns are in the running as well !!!!

Read on......McGruff

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 3:00 p.m. EDT, August 31, 2006

VOLEK WILL WAIVE NO-TRADE CLAUSE (DUH)

Let's see. . . . quarterback Billy Volek was the presumptive opening-day starter for the Titans. On Monday, the Titans suddenly and surprisingly signed Kerry Collins, paying him more than Volek for 2006. Instantly, Volek's reps with the first-team were cut, and Volek wasn't happy about it.

So now Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com reports Volek will waive the no-trade clause contained in his contract.

Our official reaction: "No sh-t."

This "story" is, in our estimation, yet another thinly-veiled effort by Pasquarelli to help out yet another of the agents who have him on speed dial whenever there's yet another nugget of news to be spoon fed to the media.

This time, the agent isn't Joel Segal. It's Drew Rosenhaus. But the goal for Volek is the same that it was for Todd Pinkston: To get a player traded at his seven-figure salary so that he won't end up having to take a one-year deal for the minimum.

In this case, Len predicts that there will be a "healthy market" for Volek's services, but Len also suggests that Volek might be released by the Titans.

Inconsistent? Not at all.

Writes Len, regarding the possibility that Volek will be cut: "f that occurs, Volek will become a free agent, able to sign with anyone, and the number of franchises bidding for him figures to increase. Trading for him would allow a team to inherit his contract, which has two seasons remaining, at palatable prices."

So if Volek can make more money via a bidding war, why in the hell would Volek waive the no-trade clause? He'd be smarter to dig in his heels and force the Titans to keep him (and pay him $1 million) or cut him (and let him make more elsewhere).

But we believe that Rosenhaus fears Volek won't make $1 million this year via the open market, and that Rosenhaus persuaded Len to do him a favor by cobbling together a story that possibly facilitates a trade.

So Len gets a two-for-one. He has some Thursday afternoon "news" -- and now Drew owes him a favor.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2567498

Deal helper: Volek would waive no-trade clause

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

Likely to soon be bumped from the top spot on the depth chart, probably by the Sept. 10 regular-season opener, Tennessee Titans quarterback Billy Volek will waive the no-trade clause in his contract to facilitate a move to another NFL team.

Billy Volek
    Quarterback
    Tennessee Titans

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
    88 50 429 4 2 77.6

Expected to supplant the departed Steve McNair as the Tennessee starter, Volek has been rendered all but extraneous by the Monday signing of veteran quarterback Kerry Collins to a one-year deal. In what has been a cram course to get Collins practice time, and to accelerate his learning curve in a new offense, Volek has seen his snaps reduced this week.

There is a possibility that Volek won't accompany the Titans to Green Bay for the Friday preseason finale.

Volek and agent Drew Rosenhaus have declined to answer questions about whether they have requested that general manager Floyd Reese trade the six-year veteran. People close to Volek, however, said this week that he has acknowledged that he will not be on the roster for the start of the season.

Teams must reduce their rosters to the regular-season limit of 53 players by Saturday at 4 p.m. ET.

In discussing trade possibilities in general, Reese conceded that Volek's name has "come up." The no-trade clause was part of the four-year contract Volek signed in March 2004.

There figures to be a healthy market for Volek, who has been regarded as one of the NFL's top backups for the last several years, but who failed to secure the confidence of the Tennessee coaching staff in camp or in the preseason. Among the several teams which might be interested in adding Volek, whose resume includes 10 starts, are San Diego and Cleveland.

CLICK ON LINK FOR REST OF STORY

5. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Milligan for Volek :icon_mrgreen:

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If Volek (and agent) are smart, they opt to watch the bastards release him and he goes for free agency.

Waiving his no-trade clause is stupid. The acquring team merely picks up his contract which is peanuts and he misses out on his "bonus".....fuggin players and agents are STOOPID.

I need to become an agent because there is no way I could fuc it up any worse than the advise these players are getting. :yes:

7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Volek's probably posturing this way to say how pizzed he is about the Titans bringing in Collins and essentially taking his starting spot away. A spot he feels he was promised a few months ago after they traded McNair.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,890
    trumpie
    i was giving you updated information on what each side was offering
    Len Pastabelly don't got that

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Wait. Collins is starting?

WTF?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    His ego and agents ego are getting in the way of what makes the most financial sense here.

Even with Young, I do not think Volek expects to make a lot of his contractural incentives so why not hold out until he is released = mo money ?

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    1) Thanks Ant, keep digging and get us some dirt.

2) Holy **** we are going PLASTER the Titans on opening day!!!! :hilarious:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    That info can be inferred from the fact we get a NFL comp pick for losing Donnie in the Third so why settle for less ?

Volek and San Diego are interested per ESPN. The matter of the third is moot. The value of Volek for a third is questionable so AJ is right to stick to his guns.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    A 5th rounder at most for Volek.

Get the conditional 4th/3rd for Donnie from the Saints.

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The problem on the Volek deal is that a NFL comp pick for Donnie (conditional) is not allowed or permitted based on Donnies award from the NFL to the Chargers.

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It's not a comp pick though we would get from the Saints.

It's the pick the Saints got from the Eagles for trading Stallworth is what I was referring to.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    IF we need another qb we need an older expierenced qb who is willing to work with the very good young qb's we have now to speed up their development if possible. the only one I can think of is flutie.

IF they were to pick up another qb they'd probably dump him after this season anyway. So not many qb's are gonna want to come to san diego.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh - uhh ,,,,then nevermind :lol:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I heard Jim Harbaugh (coach here at USD - Toreros) would be interested in a emergency QB job today on the 1090....for real !!!

19. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The thing is Harbaugh SUCKS .... :lol:

20. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I heard that too and was rolling. I think he was too when Kaplan brought it up. :lol:

I dig Harbaugh. Every interview I hear with him and every time I see him on the Charger Pregame Report (whatever it's called) he always seems like he would be a fun guy to drink beer with.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Harbaugh was cutting a deal with Cap for 20% and Billy Ray bumped it to 50% on a vet minimum $750K salary. I think Harbaugh got busted for a DUI recently so he drinks....:lol:

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Yeah, I think Harbaugh would share lots of beers with you. Didn't he get busted a few years back for punching some guy in the face that talked shiat about him on TV. I could be remembering the story wrong but I thought it was some ex-player, Jim Kelly or somebody.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Id rather have the Saints 3rd...not the conditional pick. The Saints 3rd would be higher, but if we get Volek and a 4th...that would be sweet too.

The only thing about that is Volek would eventually be the backup to Rivers once he gets up to speed. Im sure they want Whitty to be the backup in 2007 so giving up a 4th round pick for a possible one year loan is not to my liking. Volek would want to be traded again if he is sent to 3rd string in 2007.

24. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    You are thinking of Jim Everett.

The sportscaster kept calling him "Chris Everett" as in the female tennis player.

25. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah, rereading it, I misread the terms the first time.

Donnie for Volek + the Titans' 4th rounder is decent.

But your scenario obviously works out best for us.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I wonder what qb would want the job of chargers 3rd string qb. Where his only real job is to teach the two young ones in front of him. Plus he'd probably will be let go in a year or two.

At least its a job I guess. I always thought it was way neat that terry hanratty of pittsburgh years ago never played but brought in many millions being in back of terry bradshaw. Nice job situation.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    No, that's a seperate incident. I remember the Chrissy/Rome debacle, in fact I watched it live.

This was off camera. Harbaugh decked somebody for being critical of him.

28. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    If they convince Volek as it being a way to earn a Super Bowl ring without have to do much, he might buy into it. :icon_mrgreen:

29. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FireReich #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +854
    If Volek was to come in I would think that we would automatically slot him as our #2 since he has 10 NFL starts.

30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    That is true. That would be sweet. NO wonder harbaugh wants to come back.:yes: