1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Update on Antonio Gates

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by dizzle498, Aug 9, 2011.

1. dizzle498

dizzle498 Bolts lover 4 life

Ratings:
    +10
    There has been much speculation when it comes to the health of Antonio Gates, and the Chargers have been very hushed about his plantar fasciitis.

Listening to the Doug Gottlieb show today, and ESPN AFC West blogger Bill Williamson was on while at Chargers camp.

His report was that they are only being cautious with Gates right now, and that if the season started today, Gates would infact be in the starting line up.

Great news....

2. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Don't these things always start this way? First they say it's just for prevention then he misses a few games then after the season we hear that he had been battling the injury the entire season.

You'd think that this injury would be healed already, considering the type of off season he had.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Yep.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's not uncommon for injuries like this to never completely heal, particularly with the type of stress that he places on it.

I'm hoping for the best but am not being overly optimistic.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah, I read somewhere that plantar fasciitis is one of those things you live with your whole life.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I have been hoping he will play through the pain like he has for as long as his body can take it. IMO he is the Greatest TE to play the game.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    [​IMG]

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I guarantee the same could be said for Mathews, but this is going to be a bare bones page 1 type gameplan, it means nothing, I doubt we'll even see Rivers for more than 1 drive.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    do you think the lockout played a major role in this? He was unable to get to the teams trainers for his rehabilitation

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    No. Gates has the bread to afford the finest medical care Dego has to offer and I'd be willing to bet he used them. The chargers aren't the only game in town when it comes to sports medicine and rehabilitation.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Second.

12. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I would have thought without all of the offseason workouts he would have had a great chance to heal up. I guess what I'm saying is that if he didn't heal up then, he probably wont heal up during the season.

13. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    The reason I do not fully agree with this is because this kid isn't proven yet. Antonio knows this offense inside and out, he's PROVEN that when it comes game time hes going to go out and knock em dead.

Ryan had a HELL of a time hanging into the ball last year, getting hit in practice is one thing, but there is nothing like real time game speed to put him to the test. I do not think they should be holding him out of the game if he isn't dinged up, he needs the real time reps. NOW, if he is already hurt then obviously it would be very counter-productive to toss him out there with dudes trying to take his head off..But by all means if he's healthy I think he needs the reps.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What you say is true. But hell it is far to early to throw dirt on his grave just yet. A lot of rookies have poor first season. Tiki Barber had a lot worse time hanging on to the ball than Ryno did. Tiki fixed it, give this kid an opportunity to fix his.

To argue about what he is and will be before a game has been played is silly in my honest opinion. To be held out of preseason is no big deal. Like with Gates, if the season started today, he would play. Why risk anything in a game that means nothing...

Perspective. It is what is needed on both sides of this angstfest...

15. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    I am far from throwing dirt on RM's grave, I just think people need to stop acting like he's a proven, reliable pro when he isn't (yet). I think he should feel like he has something to prove (this goes back to why I was disappointed that he came into camp a bit outta shape). From what I've heard from him and team reports, he does feel he has something to prove and I think if he can stay healthy he will do just fine, but it just makes my head spin when people compare RM to LT (or Gates) not playing in pre season.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh come on! At least give me props for the mental image of thriowing dirt on his grave... That was pure forum smack down right there... Should I add you roody poo candy arse jabroney?;)

I honestly have a feeling he DOES know he has soemthing to prove. the Coaches are not holding his hand and signing coombyah with him, he reads the papers, hears the talk. He knows he needs to prove to everyone including himself that he can carry the load.

I am not comparing him to anyone about not playing preseason. The fact is LT never played a preseason game and it did not hurt him all that much. That is showing an example, not making a comparison. If he has any slight issues in PS, DONT PLAY HIM! Why risk making it a big issue because some rookie UDFA from the Seahawks wants to show his coaches he can make an impact? Makes no sense. Save him for when it counts. Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm not really concerned with his fumbles, it's durability I'd like to see. Fumbles can be fixed and the supposedly #1 defense should be able to take care of a few of those anyway.

18. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Durability is of course a concern, but fumbling is KILLER. We had (I believe) 3-4 fumbles inside our opponents 20 (2 inside the 10), we lost all of those games by a few points. Durability is something you can't fix/control, fumbling you can; but the only way to do that is practice, practice, practice. Confidence has A LOT to do with fumbling, once it starts it seems ot have a snowball affect.