1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Updated mock draft? Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PRiversMVP619, Mar 5, 2013.

1. PRiversMVP619

PRiversMVP619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Lets begin, Ive been constantly reading every mock draft I can find on the web for the past month or so, I do realize that things will completely change come FA but considering how the last few days have gone I think this draft now might fall in the Chargers favor where for the past few weeks its looked the opposite.

Kansas City Chiefs (1) - Luke Joekel
    Big surprise this is whats been on the boards for a while but it is interesting to point out that its a realistic chance that the Chiefs wont pick Joekel, Branden Albert was just Franchise Tagged and its no longer a "need" but more of a safety net in case they need a RT later on or if Branden Alberts back injury comes back to haunt him. If they do not pick up Joekel I see them going Defense or trading back.

Jacksonville Jaguars (2) - Bjoern Werner
    The Jags need a pash rush plain and simple.

Oakland Raiders (3) - Sharrif Floyd
    With Richard Seymour leaving and with a very limited cap situation the Raiders have a gaping black hole in their defensive front. Theyll pick up Floyd, the only other situation that makes sense is if the Raiders release Carson Palmer to bring in Geno Smith in which they can use some of that Cap savings for some defensive help.

Philadelphia Eagles (4) - Dion Jordan
    Everybody is picking the Eagles for OL but it doesnt make sense with the way things have been going for them, they just released two of their DT's and are missing a huge pash rush with the release of Jason Babin last year and lets not forget they are gonna lose both their starting corners, they have some guys coming back from injury on their OL and still could address their situation in the second round, Dion Jordan is a favorite for Chip Kelly and he has a huge job to do to fix their defense, Jordan is a very nice start.

Detroit Lions (5) - Dee Milliner
    NFL's just showed that 66% of Lions fans want Dee Milliner, why wouldnt they? They are losing one of their starting corners in FA and their secondary was terrible in the first place, this is a no brainer.

Cleveland Browns (6) - Ziggy Ansah
    The Browns would love to upgrade their pash rush after switching their defense to a 3-4, Ansah had a very impressive combine and is flying up boards, if not pash rush they will want to go for offensive help.

Arizona Cardinals (7) - Matt Barkley
    WHAT!?! Yes its true, despite all the talk teams will once again reach for Qb's like they have every year in the draft. Barkley is said to have a impressive Pro Day so well see if thats true but the Cardinals were not shy to say that they were the most impressed by Barkley in interviews with his high football IQ. Matt Barkley might not be worth the overall 7th pick but he will not be their come second round for the Cardinals to try and snatch him up, theyll have to address the O-Line in the second round and this draft class has a lot of depth for the O-line, it just makes sense

Buffalo Bills (8) - Kenny Vaccaro
    The Bills would like to address their QB situation but they can very well take a chance in the second round, they did franchise tag Jairus Byrd but that does not mean hell be their for the long run, theyll look into the future by getting the top Safety in this class to pair up with Byrd or to help them out if they cannot retain next year, lets not forget that the Bills just lost their other Safety in George Wilson, they might go OG in this position but they still have not lost Andy Levitre and might work that out.

New York Jets (10) - Cordarrelle Patterson
    The Jets are a mess on both sides as of now but they need help at skill positions, its a no brainer.

San Diego Chargers (11) - Eric Fisher/Chance Warmack?
    Like I said, FA can change all of this but this will be a shocker and I do think this will actually fall to us. One things for sure that I most get off my chest, I am no way a fan of Lane Johnson so I beg to the Gods that we do not pick him if both these two studs get snabbed early. He lucked out by Lewan and Matthews going back to school so why would we settle for the 5th best Tackle just because we are so desperate? He was an athletic freak at the combine but I do not believe those strengths will transition to the field (remember how popular Dontari Poe was last year? Howd that work out) If things do end up going south for us Id also like to see Jonathan Cooper over Johnson.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    The idea that the Lions will take an OT is one I'm starting to give some credit. Backus is old, Cherilus is likely gone, and rumor is they want to move Reiff to OG....which would make him a terrible value pick. They need pass rushers badly though, so there is still hope.

I agree there is a solid chance Fisher or Johnson falls to us at 11.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    I'll feel better if the Chargers sign a LT in FA (almost anyone would be better than what they have at this point)

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    No one will draft a tackle in top 10 and move them to right tackle. Detroit spent first on Reiff last year and Bacchus reportedly will move to guard. Not sure with KC because they do have options at right tackle from last years draft - Donald Stevenson from Oklahoma. Maintain that eagles won't go tackle. Arizona maybe but won't if geno staring them in the face. Unless there's just insane run on tackles, which is a possibility, think one of Fischer or Johnson will be there.

If somehow both gone I'd go warmack or as a curveball if he checks out I'd think of the dt from Utah

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I agree with all of that except I think there is a sneaky possibility Detroit now may go Joeckel or Fisher, given the age of Backus, the FA status of Cherilus, and possibly moving Reiff to OG.

They need pass rush very badly, but Stafford is a glass house.