1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

USA Today analysis of our pick.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Here's what they say.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-04-25-nfl-draft-analysis_N.htm

2. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    That sounds about right.

While I'll agree that we needed more Outside Linebacker pressure considering our numbers from last year, my main problem with the English pick is that Linebacker, in particular Outside Linebacker, is not a position that we're hurting that badly when it comes to depth. I really felt like we needed more depth at the Offensive, Defensive Line, or even Running Back before we go out and reinforce a position that we're already fairly well-off at.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    that's his reputation as a hell of a pass rusher, we'll see how it translate

4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I just hope that this pick and Ron Rivera in charge means we are going after teams. I have been a Chargers fan a long time, and the thing that has always pissed me off is that we rarely seem to be very aggressive on defense.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Many doubt AJ's picks. More often than not they end up discovering AJ and crew know what they are doing.

6. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Posted by Lionfoeva on 04/25/09 at 11:24PM

At least we didn't take Larry English from No. Illinois mid 1st round.Granted, this isn't what everyone expected, but i think we got great talent at positions that were also lacking.No reaches like Millen was famous for[see L.English].Mayhew can't save the world in a day, let's give him another.

--------------

Got this from a Lions forum post. They were talking about their draft picks.

OMG they are comparing our choice to one that Matt Millen would have made. It has got me a little worried.

7. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45

I think until Detroit can get the same amount of draft success as AJ Smith they can really keep their mouths shut. I mean, other than Stafford and Calvin Johnson can you name one draft pick that Detroit has made in the last ten years that has worked out for them?

8. Yngwie77

Yngwie77 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Detroit has some balls even commenting about us! Stafford will be a giant bust there. Thats a team that needs everything but a QB. He has no chance to succeed in my opinion. With a track record like theirs you have to trade down and accumualte picks , which i know they prob didn't have a chance to do. No one wants that #1 pick thats why the system needs to be changed...or pick a high pct pick like OT or DT or LB and build in the trenches first. Another wasted pick for them as far as i'm concerned! They are starry eyed cause of what Ryan and Flacco have doen but look at what teams they walked into.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    And who in the holy mother of frack suggests that the Lions are experts or permits them to give advice about reaches?

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I think the only bits of advice we should take from Lions fans are what mascara doesn't run after seeing your team go 0-16 and how to live well in a third world country.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FilthyScrum

FilthyScrum BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    How are you going to prove that over the last two years (07 and 08). I will give you the fact that Cason will probably pan out, and that Waters is a solid SP player and Goal Line factor. Naanee may even turn out to be a decent role player.

I like Weddle, but the price was too much. I don't even know what to call Hester. A HB backup, an H-back, a small fullback? Fine, but again the price was steep.

AJ was stellar in 05 and 06. He hit needs and talent. I just dont know anymore. I feel Oogey. I hope for a better tomorrow.

I don't have anything against Larry English, I just didn't have OLB as a need, so I never researched him. At 16 you need a game changer or you need to fill a need. I don't see either with this pick.

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Think Polamalu

14. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Let's give him at least a chance, he could very well be a wrecking ball opposite Merriman and if he is, then its going to be brutal facing us. He meets our criteria for players and AJ has always said "line em up three deep and see who's best"

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Lions fans analyzing picks...gotcha.

The get Stafford & sign him to the BIGGEST ROOKIE CONTRACT EVER and suddenly they're questioning other teams picks? :icon_rofl:

16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Waters isn't on the team anymore.

17. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think the idea of this pick alone should excite people who complain that we don't bring enough heat or blitz enough. English was brought in to not only add depth to our pass rushers, but to also add to what we already have. There will be situations where we'll be rushing English, Merriman, Phillips and company... The more I read about this guy, the more I like it. Especially the idea of being more aggressive as a D.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Meant Siler I guess.......

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Stafford worked out for them?. The guy hasn't played a down for them yet.

Ernie Sims isn't too bad.

20. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I like the pick; like it alot.
    Yahoo has English listed as a DE usually there is a level of retardation to be expected with ol' yahoo sports; but if that's the case awesome! Fill hole left by the loss of big dumb olshansky; Check!

I am all for the quarterback breakers. Go CHAAAAAARGERS.

Scouting Reports

The Good: Displays a good first step off the edge and uses his hands well to shed blocks on the outside and reach the corner. Does a nice job getting offensive tackles to overextend and has the short-area quickness to shed blocks. Works hard in pursuit and chases the ball well from the backside. Is a physical tackler who has the ability to set the edge on the outside.
    The Bad: Played exclusively at defensive end and will need to make the transition to outside linebacker. Struggles redirecting in space and isn’t real fluid in or out of his breaks.

21. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45
    I was going for name recognition, but saying Stafford has "worked out for them" is probably a bad choice of words, but you get the idea. ;)

22. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    all of those came with Buddy Nix as our scout....We no longer have that. Not so sure about this one.

I think English could be a good player but better value for needs was there at 16 with Oher.

23. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Understand I am not saying that English is going to be a bad player...I just cant see how we pass up the chance to get a mammoth in Oher or even Maualuga for that matter, even if everyone was passing on him....English I think is going to be good for us but at #16 I think we reached a bit for non-need.

We do have some decent picks today with comps....So hopefully we can get some decent value....

24. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Don't. I know first hand, Lions fans are not the brightest group.

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol:

SO TRUE!!!

:lol:

26. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I think the best thing to come out of yesterday is the fact that AJ obviously respects his d cooridinators opinion, and that he's actually taking coaches advice. Rivera pushed for English and got him, maybe AJ isn't so hard headed.

Devils advocate could suggest he had to turn somewhere with his draft decision with Nix gone.

As big of fans as many of us are I don't think we all fully understand the term "Need". What we NEED is to pressure opposing qb's, I don't care how or what holes were left unfilled, if we have a bum of a de and a stellar cast of pass rushers, that need will seem a lot less urgent, I kind of feel like we got a young Foley on our hands, can't wait to hear what the O says about him in training camp!

27. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    You will only read that our pick was a reach from bloggers... If they haven't heard of him than obviously he isn't any good.... Whatever

28. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Our pass rush sucked last season. I'd say our depth was pretty bad. If all it takes is one of starters to get hurt for us to completely suck at that position then we don't have great depth.

If LT got hurt Sproles could step up, plus our offense did great even though we did have all kinds of injuries and trouble running the ball.

29. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    It is easy to draft the best available player on the board when you have no talent or depth.

30. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I Agree with Conc. I have to admit last year they draft Cason, and I said WTF??? Then found out he's one hell of a pick. If they left the draft up to us, we'd be like the Redskins.....