1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

USA TODAY - Phillips leads the Charge !!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/chargers/2006-10-18-phillips_x.htm

Chargers' Phillips steps up

Posted 10/18/2006 9:56 PM ET
    By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY

SAN DIEGO — In a footrace to the quarterback, prolific San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman concedes that he should not finish first.

Shaun Phillips is supposed to win.

That's what an explosive first step can do. It can violate a passer's comfort zone and make a prideful ball of intensity such as Merriman marvel when considering his bookend on the league's top-ranked defense.

"With me, (defensive end) Luis (Castillo) and Shaun, it's like a race," Merriman says. "That's just the competition between us. Pow! Who gets there first?

"Shaun's definitely got the fastest burst."

It has proved to be quite the asset. Phillips is the AFC leader with six sacks (Merriman has 5½) and has demonstrated a knack for timely big plays. In Sunday's romp on the road, he had two sacks and deflected the Alex Smith pass in the second quarter that Castillo intercepted to slam the door on a San Francisco 49ers rally.

"No matter what I do, I'm the 'other guy,' " Phillips says with a sheepish grin during a recent interview. "Shawne can do the same thing, and it's, 'Did you see what Shawne Merriman did?' That's why I'm the 'other guy.' "

Phillips, 25, was at least partially kidding about being overshadowed by his good friend Merriman. But he is indeed prone to draw from any perceived slights.

It still bothers him that he wasn't drafted until the fourth round in 2003, despite a 14½-sack final season at Purdue. Phillips, a lean 6-3, 262, was considered too light to play his college position, defensive end, in the NFL. And with a 4.64-second time in the 40-yard dash at the combine, his speed for linebacker was a question mark.

"The videotape should never lie," Phillips says. "You don't get 15 sacks in college and not be a player. If I had gone in the third round, I would've been OK. But I can't even go on the first day? That didn't sit right in my stomach. So that's part of my motivation."...............CLICK ON LINK FOR THE REST

2. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    They are studs. Shwane has the right attitude about all this stuff. Our 7 are playing together. It pissed me off the last couple season when Ray Lewis was crying that they're not giving him bigger guys on the line and helping him "play his game." Our team knows that the better your play, the more opportunities there are for your teamates. Yeah, so keep kicking *** all year, and the next, and the next etc...

3. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    Props to Phillips :icon_toast:

The front 7 hasn't lost a step since losing Foley...

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I'm just so upset about the whole Foley thing," Phillips says. "But on the other hand, I get to do my thing. I look at it like this: I'm a product of Foley, because I got to learn from him for a couple of years. So I've got him out there with me. I'm thinking, 'Foley would do it this way.' I'm trying to give our team what he brought to the table and add a little of what I bring."

Pure Class

"Right now I'm getting the benefit of teams not running at Shawne," says Phillips, who has a team-high 23 solo tackles. "They're intimidated, so they're running the ball my way, enabling me to make some plays."

During a recent victory against the Pittsburgh Steelers, when Phillips had a sack and three tackles for a loss on rushing plays, he told Merriman, "Thanks for being a superstar. You're going to help me get paid."

That's Great!:icon_rofl: :icon_toast: :foley53:

5. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Ray Lewis is a damn baby! No one tell him I said that please

6. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Can someone put a youtube clip for Shaun Phillips? Please.

Do we know Del Mar??

7. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    AJ is gonna have to pay up for this kids 12+ sack season........after getting 4th round respect...........its time for this kid to get paid!!!! We need 'em bad this defense could turn into a 3 ring dynasty if we keep this kid.

8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Not really what you are looking for but here is a sample....lol!

9. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Couldn't agree more, we need this guy locked up.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.kffl.com/hotw

Chargers | Defense allowing few 100-yard rushers
    Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:21 -0700

Jay Paris, of the North County Times, reports the San Diego Chargers defense has allowed only three 100-yard rushers since the start of the 2004 season.

11. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

:tup:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Wayne Nunnely is the most overlooked and underrrated coach (D-Line) in the entire NFL.

This dude is GOLD. :tup:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    So, if you're an offensive coordinator preparing to face the Chargers right now, do you continue trying to run at Shaun after seeing how ineffective it's been for 5 games? Do you start trying to run at Merriman now?

The Bolts defense has to be a bear to prepare for.

14. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

[​IMG]