1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

USB 2GB Flash drive $29.99 - Free Shipping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, Aug 20, 2006.

1. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

Cool. :tup:

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

You tested your cable modem speed eh? :)

Download Speed = Total bandwidth speed from the Internet to your computer. 6176 kb/sec = 6 Megabits/sec = 768 KiloBytes/sec . This is very good.

Upload Speed = Total Bandwidth Speed in transmitting data from your computer to whatever Internet site you are on. 358 kb/sec = 45 KiloBytes/sec. This is pretty good.

Latency = the minimal amount of time it takes a packet of data to go from source to destination. Typically meaured in 'ping time'. 210 ms is average. It is usually different for each site you go to.

Since you are sending/receiving about 5 packets of data per second (5 x 210 = 1050 ms = 1.05 seconds) from that site and are downloading about 768 KB/sec that means that each packet of data is about 154 KB in size.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is the results on my laptop-

[​IMG]

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is the results after being scrubbed with lavasoft anti spyware, and Disk Cleaner and Disk Defrag-

[​IMG]

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The latency has greatly improved.

It seems something on your system may have affected your network performance.

Latency times below 100 ms are very good. Latency times below 75 ms are extremely good. Latencies below 50 ms are excellent. Latencies below 25 ms are rare and usually occur only within an Intranet, not the Internet.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Threason I scrubbed it was cuz for some reason my internet connection went south. Even I can see the marked improvent after the scrub, and DC and Defrag.

Sometimes I gettoo complacent and I takre Road Runner for granted. I gotta reming myselfta do the maintenance onna consistent basis.

Thanx for everything, Slug!!:) :tup: :icon_toast:

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    I need one for your posts :lol:

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +399
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Is this any good for my speeds.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Very nice, especially the upload speed and low latency.

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I tried a server close to me and one far away.

Here's my results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    That is after I cleaned up everything I had. I cleaned up these things on my PC which are Disk cleanup, defrag, scandisk, virus scan, spyware/adware scan and including my 2 internet browser files Firefox and IE 7 and that is what my speed is afterwards.

I think that my download speed is just a little slow.

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Unless you are running an INternet server or plan on uploading a bunch of files a lot of times, any upload speed greater than 512 kb/sec is pretty much a waste for many users.

I would see if there's any way your ISP can repartition the bandwidth such that you have 512 kbps upload, and take that extra 512 kbps and add it to your download speed.

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good onya, Bro!!:tup:

Y'all've done some smart things on this site, Wabbit...that buy.com thingy is certainly oneuvum!!:) :tup: :bolt:

16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I do a lot of uploads because of work I do for the business I am an employee of and do a lot of work at home.

I can live with my downlaod speed it is just the very beginning that it lags. I have to wait about 3&1/2 to 4 minutes if the file is large, then after the first 8% of any downloaded filed that has been completed it becomes lightning fast like my beginning part of my name here says it is given a turbo charging then does not take that long at all to download any file of any size.

I hope that this can help.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I compared priced just to make sure the Rabbit was not bullshiiting the crowd and he was right. That was the lowest price I could find on the net.

I paid an additional $5.00 to get it within 3-5 business days.....I have to send back my old hard drive within the next few days and need this thing fast to copy my data.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Would I BS you man? If I knew of a better deal elsewhere, I'd let you know.

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah *Man*:icon_mrgreen: :lol: :icon_rofl:

Still a Freakin Classsic!!:icon_eek: :lol: :icon_rofl: :bolt: :icon_toast:

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Hmm.. Are you using your ISP's proxy?

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was just making sure you followed up on your threads pimping those ads.........They are by far the cheapest on the net....damn good linky !!!! :tup: :icon_toast:

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw my cousing who works for Intel stick a flash card in my USB ports a few years ago and had no clue wtf this gizmo was and what it did.......these things are cool.

I stress not having my data with me when on business/vacation and now I can carry one of these where ever I go.....right on....cool beans.......

23. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Right now, 2 GB flash drives for $29.99 or less are typically special sale items around the holidays, at local places like Best Buy or Circuit City.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No **** ??? Wow....What holidays do you speak of....oh...labor day is coming up....

25. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    They had a similar sale for 4th of July weekend at Best Buy and Circuit City. Advertised in the Sunday paper circulars.

2 GB USB Flash drives at that time for going for $29.99 after an "instant $30 rebate" off the $59.99 retail price.

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    One of the techs told me hard drives are now being replaced with these flash drives. No moving parts to screw up and no heat so they are solid.

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    In portable media players yeah. Plus, they consume less power, prolonging battery life.

Although laptops will still have 40 to 80 GB hard drives.

However, I think in the future, they may put the OS on a 4 GB flash memory chip for near instant booting and use like 1 GB on the hard drive for swap file.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    From what I understood or at least the tech implied that these flash drives of the sizes you mentioned are now available.

29. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    They are. I expect by next summer, you'll see Windows Vista loaded laptops where Vista is fully loaded onto a 4 GB flash chip.

The one main drawback of flash memory over laptop hard drives, is that they can only be written to several thousand times. So, data that is constantly changing, like a swap file, or your local Internet cache / mailbox, would quickly use up all the write cycles in a few weeks.

That's why it makes sense to put the main OS on flash memory chip, because those files only get updated like once a week, so then it lasts about 3 or 4 years, which is typically the life of a laptop nowadays.

30. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Hmmm...ok....interesting stuff....and technology.

I did not know these things had a write life cycle......