1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

USC's scary flight to Notre Dame!!!!

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by leisure, Oct 19, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Booty has obviously flown Mexicana Airlines...

What are the chances that the pilot is a Notre Dame grad? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    USC may not cover the 17 points they are favored by.

BC didn't cover their spread in South Bend versus the Irish, and BC is a better team than USC.

3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I hate to fly commercial airplanes and this does not help.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Eh, about 12 years ago, I was on a flight to Atlanta from San Diego, and then supposed to connect from Atlanta to Maryland.

We couldn't land in Atlanta and had to fly in circles for an hour or so because there was a big lightning storm near the airport.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    When one of my flights was coming into Ontario, our plane rolled over on its side and dropped about 500 feet in the air before the pilot could get us straightened out. I was in a window seat on that side and thought it was cool how the cars on the freeway below were getting bigger so rapidly.

A UPS jet went across the nose of our jet and the backwash nearly flipped us.

6. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    As someone who travels quite a bit, I empathize with all involved. Those rides can really freak you out.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,626
    This is why I have my job.

Nice job by those ATCs and Weather Obs for trying to land a plane amidst "SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS". Idiots.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    One flight up to Ontario from St. Louis, I was in the last row of the plane next to a lady who was terrified of flying. We hit some fun turbulence over New Mexico and I thought she was going to die. I told her just to think of it like a roller coaster.

She hated roller coasters.

I explained to her it was safe and there were no problems.

She was crying and so I tried one last time to calm her by saying that she should not worry. The attendants were up and it only is a problem when the Captain tells them to return to their seats.

Wouldn't you know it. Right after my last word...

*DING*
    This is your captain speaking, I am going to have to ask the flight attendants to take their seats and buckle in...

I thought she was going to die, then I thought I was going to die when she shot me a 'shut the hell up' look.:icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:

True story, every word.

9. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I've experienced flying through storms in the south too...Storms like no other... :eek: Good God! During one flight everyone's drinks went flying as we dropped really fast.... I admit that I was afraid.

Denver to SLC is always a "lovely" ride... Try doing it in your third trimester of pregnancy... :unsure:

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    If you've ever flown into Reno, you'd know about drops. :yes:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Being in a Thunderstorm in a little plane is even less fun. Chances are better with the big boys-believe me.

12. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

I flew there a year ago and the landing was one of the worst I can remember.

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Yep. It makes Las Vegas look smooth. :icon_rofl:

14. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    On my 2nd flight ever on a plane, as we were going across the Rockies there was a lot of turbulance. And as I was trying not to be frightened or worried, that's the exact same announcement I heard.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Nobody makes it outta here alive but yeah flying is a roll of the dice despite all the stats....

I've gotten better at it.

I would like to hit the mile high club someday. :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I find it calms others if you merely explain the physics of flight. That they are in a heavier-than-air metal tube that is being propelled through the sky by exploding chemicals.

Occasionally I let fellow passengers eavesdrop on movies on my DVD player such as Castaway and We Are Marshall.

17. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Should of asked her if she would like to be a member of the mile high club :icon_wink:

18. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I have flown in many, many small planes, both private, military and w/Law Enforcement...I have also been in more helos then anything...For some reason, I trust the small guys mechanics more then I trust the big boys mechancics...

I flew in a C-5 once at 10,000 feet for at least 3 hours leaving Saudi Arabia....That really, really sucked.

TBF

19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    scariest one I ever had was being on a small plane landing at the catalina island airport. it's kind of on this cliffs and well...:icon_eek:

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

21. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022

I wasn't sure if I should :icon_rofl: the first time I read it... But since you did...

:icon_rofl:

22. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    They should just be glad there were no snakes.:icon_eek::eek:

23. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    I used to be THE WORLD'S WORST FLIER! Friggin anxiety attacks etc. Used to have to self-medicate...screwdrivers at 7:00AM. I remember one time, my now 25 year old son asked Mom for a drink of her "Orange Juice"! He was like 7 years old! NOPE! I need my Vitamin C son here is a nice apple juice. LOL....
    I have been on some killer flights (no pun intended). Always, always watch the flight attendants. If they do not look too worried, chances are you will be okay. I was on a United flight from Chicago to San Diego.....hit turbulance over the Rockies (as usual), the pilot came over the icom and told the Flight Attendants to hit the deck and get into some sort of brace position! ****!....I look to my left and this ugly FA is spread-eagle in the aisle hanging on for dear life! I swear to Christ I thought we were all gonna die. Here's another one for ya'll....flight from San Diego to Chicago. I have my now 10 year old (he was about 10 monthes old at the time), I check in blah, blah, blah. Get to the gate the flight is WAY overbooked, American Airlines gate person says run down to gate whatever there is no wait and your ticket will be accepted. I get to the gate. There is about 25 people standing there. We all board the aircraft. I strap my 10 month old into the phuqing seat I have been dragging around. We depart San Diego. About 10 minutes into the flight (we are over the Pacific Ocean) there is a very strong smell of fire or rubber burning? All of a sudden this red-headed gal came storming to the back of the plane. She stated that she was a flight attendant that usually does trans-atlantic flights and was dead-heading to her home base. She was FREAKING out! She was screaming that SOMETHING is not right here. I heard our FA say to her that the pilot was well aware of the problem, and if it didn't get better in the next five minutes we turn around. WTF? Longest five minutes I have ever spent in this lifetime. Turns out we were on the plane that had lost an engine in flight. They replaced the engine and parts in SD. It was burn-off stuff. I swear to GAWD I thought we were gonna die!

24. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    How would you like look out the window and see this?

[​IMG]

25. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

Those silly maintenance guys went out and got drunk at lunch time and forgot to put the engine lid on. :icon_eek:

26. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Where is the engine cover?
    Chit and double chit...If I saw that out the airplane window...I would WIG OUT!

27. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    A part of the aircraft is missing. I would be FREAKING the hell out....big time!!!:yes:

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Does anyone have any spare valium?

29. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Hey Ant!
    Ya got to take the valium/xanax etc. before you go the airport. My dentist gives me GOOD valium. This is after I told the poor man I was eating the Rottie's valium!!! I think he thinks I am nuts! It takes me at least two fives to even sit still for the procedure!