1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Usher in the Volek Era

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Daddy_O, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Philip needs to take a seat and let a seasoned QB salvage our season.

Philip is off his game so bad he should take some mobility courses and a few "This is how you hang on to the ball" courses.

Volek held down the fort for McNair for a six game stretch and lost one. Not bad for a backup.

To hear his post game BS is ridiculous. Bench his butt.

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Don't you mean McNair on Tenn. a few years ago?

3. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Yup, you are right.

Dude is a gamer.

4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    **** Volek and his 3-10 career record as a starter

its time for the future!!

V
    V
    V
    V
    V
    V

5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Whitey is just a future draft pick for us :lol:

6. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    And rivers is just a future backup for someone else

At least we will be able to get something for whitehurst. We wont get **** for rivers except a few more years of headaches

7. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Ill remember to remind you of this when you start to praise him again....and you will.

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Salvage what season ? I thought we were in first place. :icon_huh:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Rivers does need to sit, he needs to cool his heels and try to get out of this funk. He is killing us

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We have almost negative offense. If I were given control of the Jaguars' defense, I could gameplan to shut down the Chargers offense.

Sell out against the run by sending heavy pressure up the middle. Norv's insistence on rushing up the middle can be exploited here. At the same time, Rivers can't handle an ounce of pressure. At this point, it wouldn't matter if we had John Jefferson and Wes Chandler in their primes on our receiving corps, Rivers can't hit the broad side of a barn and he throws into triple coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'm like 50/50 on this one guys (of benching PR for Volek) You will set a bad precidence if you bench PR and that in turn could really hurt the guys confidence. On the other hand, PR is playing like CRAP right now and could maybe use the benching to just get his head straight. Not sure if it's Norvs Medussa touch, bad play calling or bad o-line blocking, could be a combination of all 3. But hell, in the Bears victory, they benched Grossman yesterday and let Greise take the helm and he did o.k. But then Griese gets hurt, Grossman comes in and throws the winning TD!!! I don't know if we should bench PR, but if he plays like that in the 1st half in Jax I say you almost HAVE to do it. This offense needs a spark, something. We flat out lucked out BIGTIME with AV missing those 2 FG's.

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I have to admit that at one point last night I literally yelled "Put in Volek!" at my TV (and then I thought to myself 'leisure would be so proud'). But after sleeping on it... I hate to say it... be I think we have to ride it out with Rivers. He lead us to 14-2 last season, he deserves the opportunity to play his way out of it.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I think it was Week 2 or 3 where I started a thread asking about sitting Rivers to get his attention or a "tough love" kind of thing.

Right now, Rivers play is ****** although, he has shown us he can wing it and light up the score board.

So what is a brother to do? :icon_shrug:

I remember wanting Fouts' head at the beginning of his career and thought that fuggger would never amount to **** and the biitch proved me wrong. :lol:

14. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Its all well and good and i do like Volek but you have to consider that back then, Oakland and KC had horendous pass defenses.

Im for letting Volek take over and let Rivers settle down but id like to have him play thru it..... what can it hurt? If we lose, then at least we play in a sh1t division :lol:.

Deano cant be happy about stumbling thru the door into the playoffs. If we make it the way this team is playing, we will get shalacked and Norv should be fired, but AJ wont do it and we will have to suffer thru another season with Norv and Cottrell :icon_evil:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think he will be fine in the FUTURE but for NOW he's atrocious. He's having an obvious sophomore slump but he will be fine DOWN THE LINE. For now, let him cool his heels, let him sit on the bench and relax a bit.

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I've thought about subbing Philip for Volek, but I think you have to stick with Philip for now. One or two more stinkers and he gets the hook. But I think Philip has earned the opportunity to work his way out of this. Look at Big Ben last year. Dude was awful. This year he's lighting it up. There's something to be said for not giving up on a guy. I still think Rivers is going to bounce back in a big way. I just hope it's this year. He needs to stop pressing and relax.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    let's say Rivers is benched and Volek is put in...

If Volek plays well the rest of the season do you take him out again? If you don't, if Volek plays the rest of the season then what? what do we have? Volek as the future? Rivers? Whitehurst? draft another one? :icon_eek:

18. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    If our season was truly slipping away and we were two games out of first, then it might be different.

As long as we're in first place, let Rivers work through his sophomore slump. Its better in the long run.

Also, look at Rivers two ints last night. One was a miracle int that bounced 3 guys. The other went right through Gates hands to be picked off.

I thought Rivers made some crisp throws in the downpouring rain throwing a wet football.

Gates and VJ both dropped TD passes. Rivers threw it into tripple coverage, but VJ was open.

What about M. Turner dropping the screen pass as well ?

The two big mistakes that Rivers made was fumbling the snap. That will be fixed by Hardwick coming back. The wet ball slipping out of his hands in the endzone was understandable.

You all want to put it on Rivers, thats fine, but I thought he looked better last night and is steadily improving.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING??????????????

20. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I vote to let him play his way thru it, this team will probably back it's way into the playoffs and loose in the divisionals, if somehow Rivers plays goodd again this year great, if not, the Chargers need to find out if he's the long term answer

I say Rivers has this season and part of next to prove he's the guy

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You're making a few too many excuses for your guy. Rivers did not get alot of help last night. But the first pick, while the Colts got some lucky bounces, was a bad throw into all kinds of coverage. Ditto the throw to Gates in the end zone. While Gates might have come down with that, it was ill-advised.

Clearly, the second pick was not the fault of Rivers, nor was the dropped pass by MT. But the fumble in the end zone was inexcusable. Manning played with the same ball, and he seemed unaffected by the elements. Rivers made two key mistakes on the fumble in the end zone. First, he dropped the ball. Second, he didn't knock the ball out of the back of the end zone. No Colts were around when Rivers fell to the ground. He could have fallen on the ball, but instead he tried to knock the ball out of the back of the end zone. Not a bad idea, except for the fact that he didn't get it out of the end zone.

Rivers is squeezing the ball a little too tightly, as evidenced by the dropped ball. That was clearly the product of Rivers being too uptight. If he was anymore uptight, his sphincter would be in danger of sucking the entire universe up his ***. He needs to relax.

22. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    We should definitely draft a QB in the first round so we can have another Brees/Rivers situation in two years when Phillip develops.

23. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    can't agree with you there, a Colt defender had Rivers by the ankle so he couldn't "fall on the ball" the only thing he could have done was hit it out of the back of the endzone, good idea, bad execution, now, could Dielman had grabbed it right before Rivers hit it is another question.

24. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    :icon_eek:

25. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    The only direction Rivers has been able to drive this high powered offense in is reverse. Maybe giving him some 'pine time' will let him get a better perspective about how to run this offense.

Is Volek or Whitehurst the answer? I don't know. But the Philip Rivers who has played the first nine game this year certainly isn't.

Our offense is so FUBARed that any change would be an improvement. Hell, start LT at QB!

26. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Interesting... if Rivers or Dielman had 'recovered' it in the endzone it would have been a safety right?. And if he had successfully hit it thru the endzone it would have been a safety too, is that correct?. Or would it have been a touchback at the 20?.

For me either of them could and should have recovered it.

27. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    It would have been a safety either way

My point is that Rivers felt, since someone had his ankle, that he couldn't fall on the ball so he's best bet would be to hit it out of the endzone, I think he didn't see Dielman next to him who could have fallen on top of the ball

P.S. Theres no way it could have been a touchback since the colts would have to take possesion of the ball and then loose it to the Chargers, BUT, once the colts took possesion it was a touchdown and the play was over.