1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Article: No Martybawl from players on change of coach...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Jul 28, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No Martybawl from players on change of coach...

I swear I saw a video clip last year of a Marty locker room speech. During that speech I saw at least one player cover his mouth, roll his eyes, and basically laugh at Marty's impassioned plea. It was the sarcastic "Oh no... not this again..." kind of reaction. I believe it was Kaeding motioning to David Binn and then Binn kind of giving the "Yeah, I know" nod.

These guys ain't gonna bad mouth the old German. But it's clear his act got real old.

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Oh no. :unsure:

Oben and Castillo made comments that could be construed as critical against a former Chargers coach, I wonder if their going to get a dose of Hornblower indignation. :icon_shrug:

3. IronMountain

IronMountain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    My biggest complaint with Marty, besides his stupid mistakes in playoff games, was his inability to get a the team up for big games, because he used his same old speech for the previous 16 games and the players were emotionally burned out and turned off to them by the end of the season. You can yell about how big a game this game is but don't burn out your players doing it for 17 games in a row, it gets old and doesn't work when the players are worn out hearing it over and over and over again.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I wake up every day and thank god that Marty is gone.

I agree with you Iron Mountain, that is a huge reason why Marty-lead teams always peak too early. Take last year for instance...

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    My biggest complaint about Marty was and always will be his penchant for playing injured starters while leaving great young talent riding the pine. Just the thought of it makes me want to go find some rolaids. :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  6. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

I dont know what facts this is based on. Most people would say our young players were TOO UP for that playoff game.

7. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Nice. Norv's telling our players he doesn't know how good they are. lol Let's hope they don't point out his career head coaching record to him.

8. IronMountain

IronMountain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Actually, that was my biggest complaint also, I just forgot to put it in.

9. IronMountain

IronMountain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    They were up for NE despite Marty's speeches, it was Marty's stupid mistakes that cost us in that game, along with fumbling, bumbling, and some stupid penalties.
    2005, Miami and the Jets game were good examples of a burned out flat team.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It was the GLEAM gentlemen, the GLEAM.:bolt:

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    So your original rip was 99% BS and you are going to a secondary, fall back rip. More power to ya. He's gone now. Let's cross our fingers with Norv.

12. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I think we're going to see a more revved up team this year, more options on the offensive side of the ball, and more attacking from the defensive side of the ball.

It sure will be nice not to watch the same old stoic BS game in game out. No more gleam, now it's time to ream.:icon_eek: :bolt: :icon_toast:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This points up the central problem with Schittenheimer. He would lose composure during games when it was most needed, you could see it in his eyes and body language even though there were any obvious signs of panic, and that lack of composure filtered into the rest of the team. That was his problem in big games and the playoffs are nothing but. He has a great handle on how to scheme a game plan, he just doesn't have a handle on himself.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

Notice how they did were not on some media podium looking for attention?

It makes a difference.

What happens on the field or lockeroom should stay there and not played out in the media. That is classless.

If Hardwick has something to say to the man, say it to his face and not like a worm in the media and behind his back. That is ball-less.

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

I don't believe you :lol:

16. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I thank God when I wake up with an erection. Do you believe that?

17. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    So you've "lost touch" with him for a few years, eh?
    :icon_tease: sorry... can't resist a floater over the plate
    Now I understand why you're "retired"...:icon_rofl:

18. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    That's what I think. I think some players tuned Marty out as time went by, but I also think some players reflect the personality of their coach. I've heard from a couple different sources that Marty was ultra-wound-up for that playoff game, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if that translated to a few players. Plus, I do think there's something to be said for superstition. Players knew what Marty's playoff record was, and no matter how many of them are strong enough to ignore it you just know there will be a few who are privately freaked out about it. Hell, there are players who wear the same lucky socks week after week because they're superstitious, does anyone really think a coach with Marty's record of postseason failure wouldn't get into some players' heads?

19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    So, in other words, because those things weren't said by "a scrub center who gets pushed around by bigger tackles" it's okay. :lol:

20. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Marty had two chances to win playoff games in SD. BOTH times he had his players in position to win the game and the players choked in the 4th quarter or OT in the Jets game.

I think it was just a matter of time before he won here, but all that doesn't matter now anyway. He wasn't fired for his playoff record. He was fired because AJ wanted Cottrell as DC. Plain and simple.

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    :yes:

22. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I didnt see nearly the harsh comments at I saw from Hardwick, but I'd agree if they ripped a former coach then its classless. It's not in the team concept. It opens up other teammates to disagree with you and cause problems. It opens up current coaches to not trust you and worry about what you will blame on them after they leave.

Nothing good can come of it at all.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Oh bullshit, your trying to tell us you never disagreed with a boss and let anyone who would listen to you know about it?. Your either lying or just a BS artist, I think the latter is more like it.:bolt:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I didn't want him to be hired in the first place and I am glad Marty is gone. He has no composure when the heat is on.

Running on the field in a playoff game and getting a 15 yrder is just inexcusable for a coach of his experience. :no:

5-13 in the playoffs. Nuf said

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    But wait-most whiners don't get their 15 minutes of fame out of it. Complaining about your last gag in the bag manager is not quite enough to make the papers. But wait again-what about whistle blower protection? Those authoritarian personalities are all the same.

26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Your right, he a loser. nuff said. :bolt: :icon_toast: :abq2: :abq1:

27. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    If Marty is a "loser", what does that make Norv? Hall of Fame coach vs. a guy who really has 9 years of failures.

I have no qualms with wanting a coach with a better playoff track record than Marty, but we took one that has an awful track record. Offensive genius as a coordinator, but he hasn't shown the ability to inspire a team OR push a team beyond their talent level. Marty, for all his flaws, consistently did that throughout his career.

Norv's teams, so far, have been an unmitigated disaster.

I'm fine with the "hope" that Norv Turner will turn it around with talent AND this team is too talented for a coach to screw up. As far as I'm concerned, Norv Turner's ability to be a head coach is the single biggest question on this team.

28. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Now you are being just plain silly. AJ wants/needs to win it all, Marty was not going to get it done and F-ed us at the end of the year, not that it didn't turn out for the best.

BTW is that enough double negitives for you?:icon_shrug:

29. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    If you are judging Marty for his playoff track record, why is Norv not being judged for his regular season record?

Marty got fired because there was a dysfunctional relationship with AJ. Like Little Train, I'm pretty comfortable that the defensive coordinator decision helped display that dysfunction.

If it was what you have laid out, explain the timing.

30. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86

He wasn't fired after the playoff loss. Hell AJ stood behind him after the playoff loss. He wasn't fired until AJ wanted him to hire Cottrell and Marty decided to interview his brother, who has about the same defensive record of success as Cottrell. AJ wanted Cottrell to take Wade's spot. Marty didn't like Cottrell as his DC. It all blew up from there.

If Marty, Cam and Wade are all still here, Spanos keeps Marty and everyone is giving him another shot.