1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UT article... Trotter

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhillyChargerFan, Oct 6, 2006.

1. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings:
    +288
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061006-9999-lz1s6freephil.html

It's time for Schottenheimer to take the handcuffs off his QB
    By Jim Trotter
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

October 6, 2006

Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer was asked the other day if All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates would be more involved in Sunday's game against Pittsburgh. After saying he believed that would be the case, Schottenheimer veered suddenly – and unexpectedly – back into the storm of criticism that drenched him after last weekend's 16-13 loss at Baltimore.

“I have to say this to you: I find it interesting the dialogue about the conservative nature of what we do,” he said, referring to the offense and its over-reliance on the run in two of the first three games. “My personal feeling, I think (the complaints are) more about the style. Apparently some aren't pleased with the style.

Advertisement
    “I've coached for a long time, won a few games. And style points? I've never gotten a single style point. It's all about winning football games. That's the substance of what we do: wins, losses. That's the way I've always approached it. Winning is the key. As long as we win, the style is of no relevance.”

Of course, Schottenheimer overlooked one very important point: The Chargers didn't win at Baltimore. They should have prevailed, but it's tough to beat a quality opponent when your quarterback plays with his throwing hand tied behind his back, figuratively speaking.

I have tremendous respect for Schottenheimer. He has forgotten more football than I will ever know. But I feel comfortable saying he won't win a championship playing not-to-lose football like he did Sunday, when the Chargers ran the ball five of the nine times they had third-and-4 or longer and attempted only three passes on 17 first-down snaps in the final three quarters – and each of those was in the final 30 seconds of either half.

Edit: Click the link for the full article.