1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UT: Chargers could face future without Dielman, McNeill

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

Read more here

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Hello, are you there Gabe Carimi?

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    That could be problematic in the extreme

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Man... I would be sad to see Dielman retire so young. I know if he does, it's because he has to for his health, and of course he should do what's best in that regard. Just sayin... will be sad to see him go out like that :(

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    This sucks. Hopefully just rumor, it'd really suck to se ethose guys have to retire.

6. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I couldn't blame them, they both made enough money for a few lifetimes, why risk your longterm health.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dielman got a bad scare. Tough guy but I couldn't blame him if he calls it quits to protect his health & quality of life after football.

McNeill's neck issues are only going to get worse with wear & age.

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Ding. Dielman's actually the one we could afford to use the least. McNeill retiring might suck on the immediate front, but in the medium and long term it would actually be a blessing in disguise. MM is an average-at-best LOT making premium LOT money; if he retires we don't owe him squat and could probably even - if Spanos really wanted to be a cheapskate about it - press to reclaim some of his signing bonus (though that would be kind of a dick move, it would be smart business). It also forces the team's hand to invest early and heavily in the OL be it in free agency with someone like Demetrius Bell or Jermon Bushrod (neither elite LT's but both at least comparable to McNeill if not a slight upgrade), or in the draft (trade up for Kalil who may be the only elite-ceiling LT in this class or sit tight in the 1st and look to someone like Riley Reiff - Jon Martin hasn't shown the footwork or knee-bend to play LT at the next level, looks much more like an RT). At worst, if we lost McNeill but Dielman stays, Dielman's presence bolsters Dombo's ability to produce (as at least a stop-gap on a one-year deal) and the position become top priority at the trade deadline in 2012 or in 2013 (or by, you know... bringing on an OL coach that can actually develop prospects and building up a 2nd or 3rd round prospect who may just lack the polish and need a season in the weight room to get up to pro caliber).

If we do lose both, at the very least we're going to have a large amount of cap-hit coming off the books in a year where there should at least be quality (and not overly old) free agent OL that will hit the market (Nicks, Bushrod, Bell, Zuttah to a far lesser extent, possibly Grubbs depending on whether Baltimore tags him or Rice, Ryan Diem (the Colts in general are garbage, but Diem is salvageable if surrounded with competent players).

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Lets not forget that Hardwick is also a free agent, and the right side of the line is bad. Let the rebuilding start

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    BEEF

This is why AJ needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
  11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Jared Gaither seemed to play well at Left tackle I thought

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    If McNeil stays I'd love to move Gaither to RT and jettison Clary finally. But one game does not a starter make

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Sadly, they signed Clary for a bunch of money...would he be servicible moved inside to guard?

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    One game against a bottom-feeding pass-rush does not a starter make. Also, Gaither's been pretty adamant that he wants to play LT and LT only. And he's looked as poor at RT as McNeill likely would.

I'm reserving judgment on Gaither till I see how he fares against his old team and old teammate in Terrell Suggs.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He got a 4 year, $20M deal that paid $8.5M in the first year and only had $6.8M guaranteed. Clary could be released with no cap-hit whatsoever (unless we deferred any of that hit over future years which seems to undermine the way the contract was structured entirely) any time starting next season. The contract we gave him paid him a ton to suck this year, but in doing so made it easy to unload him if a better option present itself any time after this season.

16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I said that already. I'm being overly optimistic and the like, trust me I know and said such. But at this point i'm grasping at straws to get rid of Jeromey Clary. I can't take seeing him screw up and getting pwn3d repeatedly, it's soooo frustrating. Ideally I'd love to grab Demitrius Bell but that's not til the end of the year

• Like Like x 1
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This fact is missed by a lot of folks. On the surface it looks like Clary got a whopper of a contract for a guy of his caliber. In reality, not so much.

I also agree with you regarding McNeill. He's a good LT, but an upgrade could be had if our FO would make a commitment to that position (and keeping Rivers healthy). I honestly think Reiff would be the guy for me in the draft. Talented, nasty, & hard to beat a guy coming from Firenz's coaching. He's a better talent than Bulaga, IMO.

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Yeah Gaither looked good but will evaluate at seasons end.. hopefully we found a diamond in the rough..

I mean I would like to see Dielman back.. I say he takes next year off and come back 2013.. didn't Bruschi go through something like this? Can't blame him though if he is to retire and the same for McNeil.. time to draft a LT and RT me thinks.. I think Schilling has looked VERY good.. Tyrone Green sucks..

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dielman is what?30 or better, right? I really doubt that you'd see him take a year off & come back.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Bruschi had a stroke, he didn't have a concussion that lead to a seizure. One is heart related, one is brain related. So no, he didn't have something like this

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    McNeill's neck injury would seem to be first and foremost at this time due to long term results of further injury. Dielman on the other hand may have been perfectly fine if he was diagnosed and left in NY. I thought I read the the pressurization of the air craft may have brought on the seizure. In both cases it doesn't sound good and I'd like to see nothing more than the team stand up and show full support to both players regardless of their futures.

22. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    RE: Dielman. It could also have been from 2nd impact syndrome. He very well may have had multiple undiagnosed consussions or sub-concussions over the years that he just shook off which cumulated to the situation he's in now. As a lineman this would be unsurprising. The fact that he had concussion-like symptoms for sooo long after his injury would lead me to believe it's a more long-term result vs. just the 1 concussion and plane ride. Either way, he and his wife just had a baby and he had a mighty scare.

RE: McNeil. His neck has been a reccuring problem... and neck injuries are serious busines. It just never seems like he can get healthy in that regard, so hanging it up might be his only option unless he's willing to risk major long-term injury. I hope not but nto going to be surprised if that's the case at all :(

23. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    While a concussion is not like a stroke, they are still both brain related, a stroke is loss of blood to the brain or blood leakage in the brain/

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Has anything conclusive been linked between his recurring neck injuries & the spinal stenosis issue?

Just curious.

25. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Not that I'm aware of - I'm just making assumptions. Wouldn't shock me tho if that were true.

26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Nothing that I've read, but there are two schools of thought that logic might choose to follow (I'm spitballing here, so don't hold me to any of this):

- Stenosis is a narrowing of the spine that typically results in a narrowing occurring as you move further down the column, not up. Typically this leads - so far as I've seen actually supported by incidences of stenosis in sports and from reading on WebMD - to habitual (lower) back problems not necessarily neck problems, and we've seen this occur with MM himself.

- That noted, the narrowing of the lower portion of the spine does leave the spinal cord considerably less protected in a sport of increasingly high impact, and any damage or injury to that spinal cord would seem like it would reverberate throughout the entire cord/column just based upon how the entire central nervous system seems to be affected by most spinal related injuries (note: entire CNS does not automatically mean paralysis, but even in instances of only partial paralysis so far as I'm aware the nerves in the non-paralyzed portion of the body are still affected even if they're not in full or even partial paralysis).

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like I said - just wondering. Pure speculation leads me to think, as you both have said, that any spinal condition would be both detrimental to the overall health of the spinal column & dangerous in a severe sport like football.

If I were McNeill, I'd think long& hard about the benefits of continuing to play football vs. the benefits of being able to walk unassisted later in life.

28. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I've had C-5 and L-4 fusions not by choice, it helped big time but you ain't never the same afterwards. I don't see how Peyton will be able to play again but I wasn't a multimillion dollar QB either. As for McNeill, I don't quite understand the condition other than his spinal cord has less room in which to move not that the bone structure is compromised or weakened.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I am considered permanently disabled due to my injuries except, I didn't keep the money I made which is nothing compared to what these guys make. I'm not advocating that they continue their career's just that they must weigh out the full consequences of any decision they make. Even today, for a few mil. I'd be very temped to try one more time.