1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UT: Predicting the Final 53 - Take One

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Predicting the Chargers' 53: Take 1

Each week leading up to the final cuts on Aug. 30, U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee will update their predictions for who makes the 53-man roster. In a training camp that is already proving highly competitive, there will almost certainly be many changes along the way. Nonetheless, here is the first crack by Gehlken and Acee.

QB (3)

Philip Rivers

Kellen Clemens

Brad Sorensen. Not easy to keep three QBs, but indications are that Chargers will do so.

RB (4)

Ryan Mathews

Danny Woodhead

Donald Brown

Marion Grice

OL (8)

King Dunlap

Chad Rinehart

Nick Hardwick

Jeromey Clary

D.J. Fluker

Chris Watt

Johnnie Troutman. Getting work at right guard in place of Clary. Final spot could come down to him or Rich Ohrnberger.

Michael Harris

WR (6)

Keenan Allen

Malcom Floyd

Eddie Royal

Vincent Brown

Tevin Reese

Dontrelle Inman. CFL veteran has started camp strong. Seyi Ajirotutu still very much in mix due to work on special teams.

TE (4)

Antonio Gates

Ladarius Green

David Johnson

John Phillips

DL (6)

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Kwame Geathers

Damik Scafe

Ryan Carrethers. Could be healthy inactive to start season, as Geathers more advanced.

OLB (5)

Melvin Ingram

Jarret Johnson

Dwight Freeney

Jerry Attaochu

Tourek Williams

ILB (5)

Donald Butler

Manti Te’o

Kavell Connor

Reggie Walker

Andrew Gachkar. Special teams ability could prompt team to keep five ILBs, but this is not a lock.

CB (5)

Shareece Wright

Brandon Flowers. As good as advertised, which has raised level of competition in camp.

Jason Verrett

Richard Marshall

Steve Williams

Safety (4)

Eric Weddle

Marcus Gilchrist

Jahleel Addae

Darrell Stuckey

Kicker (1)

Nick Novak

Punter (1)

Mike Scifres

Long snapper (1)

Mike Windt

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    3 things about this projection...

1) Why keep 3 QBs? Both seem like good viable backups, but I don't think either is a long term replacement. You know if Rivers retired at the end of his deal in 2 years (not likely I don't think) we'd draft a QB very high before we just handed Sorensen the job anyway. The extra roster spot could be used on Ohrnberger, which is important because Hardwick always tends to get nicked up a little, or Ajirotutu which will absolutely help our STs coverage. Anyways, Melvin can be our emergency QB.;)

2) Clary will either start the season on PUP, as a backup to Chris Watt, or not on this roster. That is all.:coffee:

3) We are SHALLOW on the D-line. Got 1 guy we can hang our hat on (Liuget) and the rest are just guys. No offense to Carrethers he's just a rookie, but typically rookies suck on the D-line, particularly in 2 gap schemes. So I wouldn't count on him. And Geathers was horrible last year, I saw him pushed 10 yards into the secondary multiple times. I can see why we went after Earl Mitchell, he would have been a nice NT/DE fit, but we should have gone after Antonio Smith as well (signed in Oakland).

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Id be pretty content with that list although id like to see Chris Davis making the team as opposed to keeping a 3rd QB. Not sure why we want to hold on to sorenson so badly if the staff thinks so highly of him why sign kellen clemens to backup rivers this year. Seems foolish to occupy a roster spot to develop a future backup qb.

4. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I think Tenny Palepoi has a pretty good chance on making this team, reports from camp are positive. Right now if I had to pick a Dline is would be

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Lawrence Guy

Tenny Palepoi

Ryan Carrethers

Also, add me to the group that thinks we should only carry two QB's. Too many areas we could use an extra player and frankly there seems to be an abundance of pretty could young players fighting over the last few roster spots. At this point I much rather see Inman, Reese, Davis or Palepoi get the 3rd QB spot.

We can likely sign Sorenson or another QB to PS squad to help with scout team duties.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Is Sorenson not better than Clemens at this point? I know, it's still early in camp, but I'd like
    to think that Sorenson would have the advantage over Clemens thus far (being in the system for
    a year). Plus, he would comes at less of a price than Clemens, yes? I know, still a lot of camp and some
    preseason games to find out who the number 2 is, but I'd personally prefer...the better quarterback
    (whoever that turns out to be).
    I'm also on the keep just two QB's wagon.

Anyone watching camp that has any input on the backup QB spot?

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Clemens has the smarts and experience, therefore giving him a 10 yard lead over Sorenson. To me Clemens is a better version of CBJ.

If it came down to the 31 year old with 40 games under his belt or the 27 year old with no real NFL game experience, I'd take the 31 year old in a heart beat.

7. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    This and I also think they picked Clemens so Rivers would have a veteran to talk to. His relationship with Whitehurst in this regard was well known. Basically it's all about Rivers one way or another IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Predicting the Chargers' 53: Take 3
    By Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken
    1:50 P.M.AUG. 9, 2014

The third installment of the weekly roster predictions by U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee brings two changes on offense. Both seemed increasingly possible during the week's practices and were confirmed in Thursday's preseason opener. Still, at these spots and elsewhere, there is plenty of time for more movement before the final cuts on Aug. 30.

QB (3)

Philip Rivers

Kellen Clemens: Evidently, his extensive experience makes him a gamer. After some rough practices, but Clemens was quick, smart and improvisational in his Chargers debut.

Brad Sorensen

RB (4)

Ryan Mathews

Danny Woodhead

Donald Brown

Branden Oliver: Undrafted rookie ran as strong with people trying to tackle him as he had in practices all spring and summer. Took final RB spot from Marion Grice — for now and probably for good.

OL (8)

King Dunlap

Chad Rinehart

Nick Hardwick

Jeromey Clary

D.J. Fluker

Chris Watt

Rich Ohrnberger

Michael Harris: Good enough against Dallas that his experience with Chargers should win out over Willie Smith.

WR (6)

Keenan Allen

Malcom Floyd

Eddie Royal

Vincent Brown: Out at least one more exhibition game, which makes his grip on this spot tenuous.

Dontrelle Inman

Seyi Ajirotutu: Veteran remains on first unit on all special teams and has been better as a receiver of late. Also benefits from Tevin Reese not being consistently impressive.

TE (4)

Antonio Gates

Ladarius Green

David Johnson

John Phillips

DL (6)

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Kwame Geathers: Remains entrenched as No. 2 nose tackle. Had some excellent snaps against Dallas' first team.

Damik Scafe

Ryan Carrethers: He needs to step up or risk being passed by undrafted rookie Tenny Palepoi.

OLB (5)

Melvin Ingram

Jarret Johnson

Dwight Freeney

Jerry Attaochu

Tourek Williams: He's the better all-around player. But Thomas Keiser's pass-rush ability is not making this an easy decision.

ILB (5)

Donald Butler

Manti Te'o

Kavell Connor

Reggie Walker

Andrew Gachkar

CB (5)

Shareece Wright

Brandon Flowers

Jason Verrett: Despite relative inactivity, appears on schedule for Week 1 opener.

Richard Marshall

Steve Williams

Safety (4)

Eric Weddle

Marcus Gilchrist

Jahleel Addae

Darrell Stuckey

Kicker (1)

Nick Novak

Punter (1)

Mike Scifres

Long snapper (1)

Mike Windt

9. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    Very disappointing to read that Ryan Carrethers is :poop:ing the bed!

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Yes, we haven't had much luck of late with late round (or UDFA) NT's....... Jerideau was another disappointment. Geathers still strikes me as too tall to be that effect as a NT.

Lissemore has the technique, but he's too light to hold up to that many snaps. We really haven't have a real quality NT since Jamal left. There just aren't a lot of guys with that size, strength, skill, and motor.

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    I was getting excited about this guy because of his wrestling background and his massive body with a low body fat index. Let's hope that he steps it up and makes up for lost ground or else it'll be a long season for our offense on the sideline and the D having the ball run down their throats!

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Better start praying for a Samoan miracle. ;)

13. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    If I ever pray, this team will go to hell in a hand basket ;)

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Good point. :tup:

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    Although gotta admit that I've been reading up lately on this Yazidi religion of late and it sounds quite promising! I mean they apparently do not urinate or defecate on God's green Earth willy nilly, because they believe that such disrespectful actions may disturb the spirits of those who may be buried in the ground underneath which is definitely disrespectful.

However, I firmly believe that the ISIS fighters will have no problems with cutting their heads off and pissing down their throats! Just a hunch ;)

16. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +509
    If I wasn't an atheist, I think I'd give this Yazidi thing a shot. Seems legit...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,179
    I will just wait for Coach McCoy to make the final selections and he can tell us all who his 53-man roster will be this season. The depth at various positions will make it interesting, though...

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    My 53/depth chart

Offense: 25
    QB: Rivers, Sorenson
    RB: Mathews, Woodhead, Brown, Oliver
    TE: Gates, Green, Johnson, Phillips
    WRX: Floyd, Inman, Ajirotutu
    WRZ: Allen, Royal, Brown
    LT: Dunlap, Becton
    LG: Rinehart, Troutman
    C: Hardwick, Ohrnberger
    RG: Watt
    RT: Fluker, Harris

Defense:25
    DE: Liuget, Scafe
    NT: Lissemore, Geathers, Carrethers
    DE: Reyes, Palepoi
    OLB: Ingram, Freeney, Williams
    OLB: Johnson, Attaochu
    ILB: Butler, Conner
    ILB: Te'o, Walker
    RCB: Flowers, Williams
    LCB: Wright, Verrett, Marshall
    FS: Weddle, Stuckey
    SS: Addae, Gilchrist

STs: 3
    K: Novak
    P: Scifres
    LS: Windt

PUP: Clary

Practice Squad:
    WR Tevin Reese
    RB Marion Grice
    OG Craig Watts
    DT Chas Alecxih
    CB Chris Davis
    S Alden Darby
    CB Marcus Cromartie
    OT Jeremiah Sirles

• Like Like x 2
  19. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Why are you cutting Clemens for Sorensen? At this point, I'm also finding a way to keep Reese and using his PS spot for Herndon.

I like most of your roster others wise though, might swap out Ducre or Cromartie on the PS too.

As for Carrethers, maybe it's just me but I liked him on Thursday. Palepoi maybe pushing for a spot, but I don't see any reason it's at Carrethers expense right now.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    QBs: It's hard to justify I know, but it basically comes down to I know what Kellen Clemens is, and Sorenson is younger. I would not be heartbroken at all if Clemens gets the QB2 spot, but there is no way I'd keep 3 QBs on this roster given our depth and our unfortunate knack for injuries plaguing certain positions.

Reese: The problem I have with keeping Reese is he has not won a KR/PR position, meaning he's both the least experienced WR on the roster, and also contributes little or nothing in STs. If we keep him he's probably a healthy inactive for more than 75% of the season, and as soon as injuries hit somewhere else he'd have to be waived to add that extra D-linemen or safety. Unfortunately, we'd be extremely lucky to get him on the PS, he'll probably be snatched by someone else.

Ducre is interesting, but I always felt he was more of a track star than a football player. His first game gained him points though. It's a toss up for the PS.

Both Carrethers and Palepoi are on my 53:tup:

21. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    For me, it's really Inman versus Brown or maybe Inman versus Tutu or possibly Brown vs Tutu, with Inman already on the roster. Both Tutu and Brown right now are one year guys on this roster, so that has to factor in. Right now, I'd rather cut Brown over Tutu, because Brown offers zero on ST's. But if Tutu hasn't made a major leap at WR by now, he's never going to.

So I'm keeping the best overall player between Brown or Tutu and keeping Reese either way. But we still have 3 games to go.

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Tutu and Stuckey made a great pair of gunners on special teams. The only way Brown can contribute is as a WR. Therefore, I see the choice between Brown and Inman, and so far we've only seen Inman make plays. The clock is ticking for Brown.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    Most likely we will go into the season with 3 QBs and one will become draft pick bait for a team which will be needing a QB quite desperately (not wishing to jinx ourselves!)

Successful teams follow that strategy all the time and TT will be a serious operator if such situation arises. If so, Sorenson will be that bait.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    When was the last time a team traded a backup QB mid-season?

25. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Brown better hope for assignment to the I/R, he's got a long row to hoe IMHO.

26. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I tend to agree, I mean at some point you have to play younger unproven players. Inman is more experienced than a rookie, but he's still unproven. That shouldn't be a deterrent though. I was hoping some of Brown's issues last year were still physical and that this camp he would show more quickness, better route running and ball skills, but the guy has missed every practice. If he's not back in practice by the end of this week I think he's done. There isn't enough time to come in an and light up camp, if he's even capable of doing it. One year left one his contract doesn't help. Teams plan ahead. There's a good chance whatever potential Brown had, that scrub Cowboy's player, took a lot of it in that 2012 preseason game.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,512
    Yep, life ain't fair, but teams can't wait around for a guy to get right. If Brown misses another preseason game, and Inman shines again, it may be too late for him.

28. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I still think Chris Davis could be our best option at kick and punt return, I would actually keep him for that reason over which ever becomes the lesser of the 2 NT's

29. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +635
    Who said anything about mid-season?! Sorenson will probably not make it to our PS.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    You suggested we'd go into the season with 3 QBs, and one would be "draft pick bait." :confused:

I guess I don't know what you mean by that.