1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UT: Predicting the Final 53 - Take One

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I hardly doubt the coaching staff will choose Javontee Herndon over Vincent Brown no matter how good of a returner he is. Let's not forget, as it seemed to be a disappointing season in 2014 for VB according to those here, if you watched, he made some HUGE drive sustaining catches. I'll never forget the one against the Colts where he literally ripped the ball out of the air with Greg Toler's two arms interfering with him. And of course, the huge 3rd down catch he made against the Broncos in Denver on Thursday Night Football.

He's not an X receiver, where he played much of last year in a new offense. His ceiling is a Z receiver/slot type guy.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I think the separating factor here could actually be kick returns, Herndon is the only guy listed on the recent depth chart as both a kick returner (2nd) and punt returner (3rd). If he can definitively win both jobs....I think he's a lock to make this team.

And it will be the expense of either Brown, who is injury prone, has been relatively unproductive, and does not contribute on STs. Or Ajirotutu who is at the least an excellent STs gunner, and made the biggest catch of the season in 2013.

3. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +493
    Based on these parameters, the is should be a no brainer.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +209
    Reese is making it. That speed is nothing to put on PS, just imagine him catching 80+ TD from play actions.

5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Predicting the Chargers' 53: Take 4
    By Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken

There is one change to the projected 53-man roster submitted this week by U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee. But other spots remain subject to change as we are now just two weeks away from the final cut on Aug. 30. New this week is a projected practice squad.

QB (3)

Philip Rivers

Kellen Clemens

Brad Sorensen

RB (4)

Ryan Mathews

Danny Woodhead

Donald Brown

Branden Oliver: A rough second game, but undrafted rookie got necessary experience returning kickoffs and on coverage teams against Seattle.

OL (8)

King Dunlap

Chad Rinehart

Nick Hardwick

Jeromey Clary: If he is ready enough to come off the PUP list but not ready to play the first week or two, the Chargers will have to keep a ninth lineman, and that will be Johnnie Troutman.

D.J. Fluker

Chris Watt

Rich Ohrnberger

Willie Smith: This remains an open competition, but Smith took the lead over Michael Harris with showing against Seahawks.

WR (6)

Keenan Allen

Malcom Floyd

Eddie Royal

Vincent Brown: Getting closer to return from calf injury, but Javontee Herndon has made push in interim.

Dontrelle Inman

Seyi Ajirotutu

TE (4)

Antonio Gates

Ladarius Green

David Johnson

John Phillips: Recovery from knee surgery going as hoped. He has place on this team.

DL (6)

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Kwame Geathers

Damik Scafe

Ryan Carrethers: This group is in flux, and undrafted rookie Tenny Palepoi is making the decision difficult.

OLB (5)

Melvin Ingram

Jarret Johnson

Dwight Freeney

Jerry Attaochu

Tourek Williams

ILB (5)

Donald Butler

Manti Te'o

Kavell Connor

Reggie Walker

Andrew Gachkar

CB (5)

Shareece Wright

Brandon Flowers

Jason Verrett

Richard Marshall

Steve Williams

Safety (4)

Eric Weddle

Marcus Gilchrist

Jahleel Addae

Darrell Stuckey

Kicker (1)

Nick Novak

Punter (1)

Mike Scifres

Long snapper (1)

Mike Windt

Practice squad

WR Torrence Allen

TE Jake Byrne

S Alden Darby

CB Chris Davis

RB Marion Grice

WR Javontee Herndon

DE Tenny Palepoi

G Kenny Wiggins

6. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    So now the UT guys don't even think Reese is going to make our practice squad? WTF?

7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Well if he can't return kicks and he can't beat contact off the line what good is he?

All his hype came when they were in shorts and helmets, as soon as they padded up he started struggling.

8. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    He's made a nice catch in each game, both appeared to be his only targets. Keenan Allen was ready to quit playing at this point his rookie year. Can't expect too much out of Reese, he has no return experience at all. What has Torrence Allen done to earn a practice squad spot over Reese?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    I dont put much weight into these predictions that acee and ghelken make. every year there are only about 4 or 5 spots that arent obvious to make the 53 and they are often wrong with their picks anyway

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I agree as a WR, but if he could return kicks he'd be a lock.

We risk having a 53rd man on the roster who is a healthy inactive every week because he's not ready to play WR and he cant catch kick offs. When the injuries on the D-line start mounting we're going to have to waive him to make room for a PS guy or a FA.

I hate the idea of waiving draft picks, but I really think there is a good chance he doesn't get claimed, he could make it to the PS.

11. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I'm just questioning the UT's Torrence Allen decision, now if Brown is released and Herndon makes the squad, then I could understand Allen and Reese on PS.

I kind of hate how they are settling the return job, Sproles had some serious struggles with punts when he first arrived and the team just drilled him over and over again, eventually he became a great all around returner, but not without half the fan base and UT writers saying he wasn't cutting it. I'm ok with veteran backup thing as a guy who is just going to catch it and drop or fair catch, but for the younger guys, pick a couple and drill them till they puke and do it some more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    It may be time to let go of Vincent Brown and Let Inman and Reese see what they can do. How the Dline is looking I'd want to keep Palepoi in the mix for DE spot.

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    It'd be an easier decision if Brown was on the field.:cautious: I definitely think he's more ready to contribute than Reese and Herndon, but is there any upside there? Impossible to tell when he's standing on the sideline.

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    I'm sure there will be some surprises when this all said and done for. Is Sorensen eligible for the taxi squad? it's going to be tough when they start trimming the fat.

15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Sorenson is a real puzzle.

On one hand, if he were absolutely rocking' it in practice,
    Telescopo probably doesn't go out and make the Clemens deal.

On the other hand, it looks like they may think so highly
    of Sorenson's potential to eventually be Rivers' successor
    (or just a real, NFL quarterback) that they could burn a roster
    spot this season, and carry a 3rd QB to keep Sorenson in the fold.

Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 7.10.58 PM.png

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    And yet they say Rivers can play another 5 years. If that's the case we shouldn't be wasting our time with Sorensen right now. He'll be almost 30 when it comes time to play. Meantime Kellen Clemens looks like the perfect back up.

17. Bigkdb

Bigkdb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +73
    I mean there can be some upside but I really dont think he can be a large contributor. We just watched him, for the most part, get blanked all last season. I really think his best value now would be a slot WR or underneath set. I'm also thinking of the future number 2 wr cause it's coming to an end with Malc to me. Idk if any of the other wrs on the roster could be groomed to compliment Keenan though. I think Inman can possibly be the guy. That's why some how some way I wish and I mean wish we could have gotten Jordan Mathews in the draft...very wishful thinking :|

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Well, yeah, but they always are on the optimistic side of those (5 years) predictions...
    I'm really curious as to what McCoy & Telescopo are thinking, re. Sorenson.
    Of course, in theory, the UT guys that cover the team could ask about that 3rd QB slot,
    but that would actually be helpful... :p

19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    The NFL is expected to increase the size of practice squads from eight to ten players this season.

That opens up 64 more jobs across the league, and each team will now employ 63 players. Teams will love it, as they're now able to stash even more potential talent and develop more youngsters across the season.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Predicting the Chargers' 53: Take 5
    By Kevin Acee and Michael Gehlken
    AUG. 26, 2014

With the “final” cut to 53 players due Saturday, U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee make some significant changes to their roster, adjusting the numbers at quarterback and on both lines. While Thursday’s preseason finale could affect a couple spots, it is just as likely that transactions before and/or after Saturday’s deadline help round out the roster for the Sept. 8 season opener.

QB (2)

Philip Rivers

Kellen Clemens

RB (4)

Ryan Mathews

Danny Woodhead

Donald Brown

Branden Oliver: Continues to get the opportunity over sixth-round pick Marion Grice.

OL (8)

King Dunlap

Chad Rinehart

Nick Hardwick

D.J. Fluker

Chris Watt

Johnnie Troutman

Rich Ohrnberger: On here at least until Jeromey Clary’s hip is healthy enough for him to come off PUP list.

Willie Smith: Over past two weeks, distanced himself from Mike Harris in competition to be backup tackle.

WR (6)

Keenan Allen

Malcom Floyd

Eddie Royal

Vincent Brown: His 41 catches in 2013 and familiarity with offense are enough to overcome a preseason spent on the sideline.

Dontrelle Inman

Seyi Ajirotutu

TE (4)

Antonio Gates

Ladarius Green

David Johnson

John Phillips

DL (6)

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Kwame Geathers

Lawrence Guy

Ryan Carrethers

Tenny Palepoi: With Geathers questionable for the season opener, this undrafted rookie has played well enough to be the fill-in, though Chargers will continue to explore options.

OLB (5)

Melvin Ingram

Jarret Johnson

Dwight Freeney

Jerry Attaochu

Tourek Williams: All-around game (including special teams) means he holds off Thomas Keiser.

ILB (5)

Donald Butler

Manti Te'o

Kavell Conner

Reggie Walker

Andrew Gachkar

CB (5)

Shareece Wright

Brandon Flowers

Jason Verrett

Steve Williams

Richard Marshall: Also worked at safety last week as coaches looked for insurance – and, perhaps, a reason to keep him.

Safety (4)

Eric Weddle

Marcus Gilchrist

Jahleel Addae

Darrell Stuckey

Kicker (1)

Nick Novak

Punter (1)

Mike Scifres

Long snapper (1)

Mike Windt

Practice squad (10)

WR Torrence Allen

TE Mike Flacco

S Alden Darby

CB Chris Davis

CB Greg Ducre

RB Marion Grice

WR Javontee Herndon

QB Brad Sorensen: Chargers would hate to lose him, but the need for an extra defensive lineman could prompt the risk.

G Kenny Wiggins

DE Joe Kruger

21. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Guess, they IR'd Geathers, kind of a surprise.

22. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    Sound like he might be eligible to return though.

24. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Also, it's becoming clearer Brown is going to be on the 53.

25. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    No, but they could do what they did with Scafe last year. Once he's healthy, come to settlement and release and then re-resign. But this doesn't look like it's the IR Designated to Return they used on Ingram.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Where do you get that info?

27. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Please re-phrase, what info?

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    What his IR designation was....... I didn't see anything other than he was put on IR.

29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    They didn't so I assume it's regular IR. I also think that the designated return IR requires that player be on the final 53 man roster. So that would exclude Geathers. They might use that one on Brown.

"Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster.[3] Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_reserve_list

Only problem is that only source for this info in this article and a few others I looked at, source #4 the link seems screwed up, so it's not definitive, but likely correct.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    OK, so he would've had to make the final 53 first regardless. That rules him out from coming back this season. Too bad, he was showing improvement.