1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UT: Predicting the Final 53 - Take One

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Ghelkin was hinting at the other option like I mentioned before, we did it with Scafe last year. Geathers injury is likely a month or so recovery. If we have the roster spot or need at some point, say 5 weeks from now, we can reach an injury settlement with him and re-sign him. Of course, Geathers has to be willing to lose his guaranteed check, the Chargers have to be willing to expose him to waivers, Geathers could also choose sign elsewhere if not claimed and they have to come to terms on the settlement itself. So it's no slam dunk and not without some obstacles, but if he wants to play again this year, it's most likely up t0 Geathers.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    I wonder if that's something they can agree to with a player beforehand.... probably would be frowned upon by the league, but would it be illegal?

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    Under Al Davis the Bolts landed some players simply because they all of a sudden couldn't be found. Under McCoy and the new Boltstag there are no problems only solutions. Who knows what they are up to??........

4. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Who knows, but Ghelkin hinted at it, so maybe the team decided to throw the guy a rare tip?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    BFTB explains the likely scenario pretty well.......

Explaining the situation regarding San Diego Chargers DT Kwame Geathers after he was injured in a preseason game and put on Injured-Reserve by the team.

Considering the news yesterday was that Kwame Geathers wasn't as badly hurt as the San Diego Chargers had feared, many fans immediately assumed that the second-year Nose Tackle would be the Injured-Reserve player that is "designated for return" by the team and able to return about halfway through the season if the recovery process goes well.

Not Happening
    There's only one problem with the above plan: Kwame Geathers is not eligible to be the team's "IR-designated for return" player. That player needs to be on the team's final 53-man roster when put on IR. Since Geathers is already on IR, he is not eligible to be on the team's final 53-man roster.

So, is he gone for the year?
    Well, yes, unless he and the team come to an agreement on an "injury settlement". Then things get a bit trickier.

In an injury settlement, the team agree to pay the player their normal salary for a certain number of games. So, for instance, they may agree to pay for six games worth of salary for someone like Geathers, and Kwame may find that to be an acceptable proposition.

If this hypothetical agreement were signed by both parties, Geathers would not be able to return to the Chargers until Week 13 (six weeks after his injury settlement expires). He would, however, be able to sign with any other NFL team and start playing games for them in Week 7 (as soon as the injury settlement expires).

I'm not sure why Geathers would wait an extra six weeks, unpaid, to play for the Chargers rather than accept an offer from another NFL team. Tom Telesco likely doesn't see that happening either. If it does, all that means is that San Diego is the only NFL team that wants Geathers, at which point.... why bother?

Most-Likely Scenario
    The Chargers obviously like Geathers and have a lot invested in him at this point. What makes the most sense is for them to leave him on IR for the rest of this year and start fresh with him being 100% healthy next year. That way they don't risk losing him and still have him signed to an insanely-affordable deal for next season.

[​IMG]
    More from Bolts From The Blue

6. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I didn't know about that extra part for paid games, that certainly makes it less appealing to the Chargers. If he's out there for anyone to sign and we have to wait.

I'll assume if they don't reach a settlement pretty early in the season, we won't try it all if that article is correct. Might be worth asking Ghelkin though.

Sucks too, because he's probably going to be 100% by week four or so.

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Now worries....... we still have Carrethers. ;)

8. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +517
    Their (Acee and Ghelken's) prediction seems about right, except for the Williams brothers...
    I see Tourek losing out to Chia Keiser and Steve losing out to El Crezidente.

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    It's legal, because once released they get placed on waivers, after that clears the player is free to do what they want

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I highly doubt the 2nd one. Like 95% sure Stevie makes this team. We spent a 5th on him, and he was on IR all last season so he is essentially a rookie.

Plus he's played with the 1s in all 3 preseason games so far, I think the staff likes him more than fans do.

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +517
    You're possibly correct, I'm just feeling lazy and don't want to figure out again how to change my siggy...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    He's a real athlete...... he just has a bunch of learning to do still. I think the team will be patient with him. Heck, it took Jammer 4 years to be decent, and he started playing his 1st season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    My 53..

QB - (2) - Rivers, Sorensen
    RB - (5) - Brown, Grice, Mathews, Oliver, Woodhead
    WR - (6) - Ajirotutu, Allen, Brown, Floyd, Inman, Royal
    TE - (4) - Gates, Green, Johnson, Phillips
    OL - (8) - Dunlap, Fluker, Hardwick, Harris, Ohrenberger, Rinehart, Troutman, Watt

DL - (6) - Carrethers, Guy, Lissemore, Liuget, Reyes, ACQUISITION (Free Agency/Waiver Wire/Trade)
    OLB - (5) - Attaochu, Freeney, Ingram, Johnson, Williams
    ILB (5) - Butler, Conner, Gachkar, Te'o, Walker
    CB (5) - Flowers, Marshall, Verrett, Williams, Wright
    FS/SS - (4) - Addae, Gilchrist, Stuckey, Weddle

ST (3) - Novak, Scifres, Windt

I think Sorensen will have a real good 4th and final preseason game. I wouldn't be shocked if we carried 3 or if we cut Sorensen either. Clemens was brought in to help Rivers with some of these NFC West teams I'm assuming.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  14. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Dude, Clemens is not getting cut! :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,528
    That should be obvious. ;)

Marshall is also filling in at safety with Addae questionable for there opener. That makes it more likely he'll make the cut, despite the new depth at CB.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well I know, I just don't see any potential in keeping a 31 year career back up QB. I mean if he can really help Rivers with some of the NFC West teams then so be it, but I honestly think Sorensen (hasn't been promising this preseason) has a little more potential than Clemens going forward.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Depending on how much it would take to get Stephen Hill from the Jets, I'd be interested. 5th or 6th rounder would be ideal.

18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +659
    With our glaring needs on the D side, specially the NT position, having upside potential at the 3rd QB position is just a luxury which this team can not presently afford. This comes from me who as recent as 2 weeks ago was advocating for keeping Sorensen as a potential interim successor or as a trade bait in the off season.

19. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    The weakness at NT along with a suspect ILB corp is a bit concerning going into the season. Kavell looked good against the 9'ers, Te'O is hurt again so it makes it hard to cover the middle if its the weakest part of the D to begin with. The pressure is going to get intense during the second half of the season if the Bolts are making a push to get into the big show. This defense is going to have to come out of the gate where they left off last season and grow better out of the box. It's asking a lot from a bunch of young dudes but they have to start sometime.

20. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    His value is that he offers Rivers a true peer, a veteran that has actually started and won games in this league to contribute in the QB room. He offers much more insight and feedback than Sorensen will ever be able to. He's someone Philip can actually respect as a relative equal, this is very important. He can also run the offense more effectively, giving the second team better reps in practice and the coaches more options preparing for games. Finally, if Rivers is hurt for a quarter or a game or two, Clemens can actually win a game for us and we don't have completely concede those games, waiting for Philip to get back. In other words, his advantage is massive is every single area, but age.

If Kellen Clemens gets along well with Rivers, forget it. He's not going anywhere, because he's here FOR Rivers, just as much as he's here to be a backup.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    But this isn't Rivers' first merry-go-round in the league. He's an 11 year vet. And to be honest, I don't know how Clemens knows the offense better than Sorensen as he's only had the playbook for about 5-6 months while Sorensen has had it for about a 1 1/2 years.

That's the base of my argument. And, if Rivers goes down, this team isn't winning a game whether Clemens or Sorensen is at QB and neither would be the sole reason we won one if we did.

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    If we carry 3 NT's we'll most likely have 3 DE's, with Lissemore being a versataile enough to be able to move from NT to DE. I highly doubt we carry more than 6 DL.

Te'o being hurt is a bummer. He has really showed some improvements from last year. But, Conner might get the nod Week 1 the way he played against the 49ers and Te'o not being a 100%. We also have Gachkar and Walker to fill in and Ingram can be used as the "stack" LB in the hybrid 4-3 package we showed in preseason.

23. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    No, if Rivers goes down for an extended period of time we are finished, Clemens won four games in footballs toughest division last year, why would one or two games with a better team be an automatic loss?

Second, it doesn't matter if Rivers is a vet, the preparation for NFL games is tough, Clemens is a huge asset for Philip during games, film study, scouting, game planning and practice. Like I said he gives Philip a true peer. Don't under estimate that, coaches aren't the same. Having a peer is important and Rivers clearly values it. It's the most demanding position in all professional sports.

If you've watched the preseason games, it should be clear that Clemens already has much better grasp of the offense than Sorensen, since he was it running well with much of the first string this preseason. Plus he's running it from the perspective of an NFL veteran, not an inexperienced, small school, third stringer.

So if you want to keep Sorensen, that's fine, but he has to be better and offer more value than someone else on the roster like Oliver, Herndon, Davis, a 9th OL or another DL, but he's not and never has been fighting for the #2 QB position in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    As for the rest of the roster, I pretty much agree, although keeping Grice and Oliver seems sketchy, they could do it, but one will be cut quickly into the regular season or right after the other final roster cut downs settle.

I think they might keep 8 defensive linemen initially, a guy like Krueger ,Worthington or Palepoi, plus another NT yet to be acquired/ signed. Guy, could still be a ways off on his recovery so we are thin at DE and NT right now.

Krueger is one I'm interested tomorrow. He could be a surprise and Telesco wasted little time signing him. He's almost like getting an extra draft pick. It's going to be hard to gauge him much with one week of practice.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,780
    I don't see TT going into the season shorthanded with lack of experience on the D-line. Something has to give, RB, TE or QB or wherever they can cut to add some beef to the D.

26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I mean Clemens was 0-4 against the NFC West with 2 TDs and 7 INTs. He finished the season 4-6. St. Louis' defense had a huge 2nd half surge. They had 53 sacks and 20 forced fumbles as a unit last year. They also ran the ball through Zac Stacy and others once Bradford went down excessively. Clemens was just basically a game manager last year.

I get your point and where your coming from. I just don't rate Clemens that highly.

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    If Rivers were to go down in the 2nd quarter of a fairly even matched game,
    I'd still feel that the Chargers could compete with Clemons. Not Sorenson.

If Rivers were lost for 3 games, I think Clemons could do enough, that we wouldn't
    have to immediately write off the entire season.

If Rivers were lost in Week 2, for the season, then it's time to start saying
    "Wait 'til 2015!" whether we have Sorenson or Clemons.

Moral of the story? Clemons makes more sense for now...

• Like Like x 1
  28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Does anyone know when the waiver wire claims go through on guys that were just cut on the cut down to 75? Im interested in seeing where jacoby ford, martez wilson, and alan branch might end up

29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I'd imagine the waiver process is over for all of those guys. We claimed Kruger on Monday.

30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    TJ Graham looks like he will be available after the next round of cuts. He could potentially fill the role we had hoped to fill with the Tevin Reese pick