1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

UT: Predicting the Final 53 - Take One

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 26, 2014.

1. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I wonder if they IR/designate to return Brown and keep Reese initially?

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    If keeping Brown, no matter what the designation is, causes the loss of either Inman or TUTU to keep Reese, I formally pass. That kid is PS materiel, hell, that may not even be enough.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Frowned upon or legality aside.

I think u all should take a step back and take another look.

Even if we go this route of release waiver resign, it's not like Geathers has done much that would draw a immediate bid from another team unless that team was interested in him solely for his name. He hasn't even had enuff gametime to show he's anything more than a good player. And I'm pretty sure by week 8 any team with remote interest in getting a NT that's just good would have that player on their own PS. Unless they were buying his last name or what he did in college.

I think he would love to play for us as his competition to be the long term solution would be greater here and he prob would willingly leave some money on the table knowing he will be well compensated post his rookie contract resigning.

4. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    What? Who loses what for who?:confused:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    After Arizona game, my predictions:

1) The team will stun fans and put Brandon Oliver on the roster with Grice on the practice squad. More about skill set than doing everything well.
    2) Inman will make the team, Herndon will head to the practice squad.
    3) Cordero Law will make the team over Thomas Keiser and Tourek Williams
    4) The last two cornerbacks on the roster will be Chris Davis and Steve Williams
    5) Vincent Brown will be on IR with the ability to come back later
    6) Chris Watt will be your starting right guard
    7) Brad Sorensen will be released and the team will try and sneak him onto the PS

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Reese is not worth a roster spot and I'm not convinced he'll make the practice squad either. Who knows, McCoy may like him enough to put him down on the farm but Herndon and T Allen may have the better inside shot of that depending on what Browns final status is (surprise cut) IDK.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I agree with all 7 predictions but I believe Grice makes the team, they really liked the kid since his college days, and although Oliver looked like the better back at times, Grice has really done nothing to not impress

We still don't have anyone that looks like they're capable of returning kicks, someone break out the old Rolodex and get Goodman on the phone

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I can find nothing to not agree with here... :tup:

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Predicting the Chargers' 53: Final take

Final cuts are due by 1 p.m. (PT) on Staurday. The Chargers have 22 players to trim in order to get down to 53. U-T Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken and columnist Kevin Acee offer their assistance in the form of their final predictions here.

QB (3)

Philip Rivers

Kellen Clemens

Brad Sorensen: Was 22-of-39 for 159 yards and two interceptions in four exhibition games (46.7 rating). Team can get away carrying three. Despite moderate production, sense is they will.

RB (4)

Ryan Mathews

Danny Woodhead

Donald Brown

Marion Grice: Late surge too much to ignore — 17 carries, 79 yards in Thursday exhibition finale. Edges Branden Oliver, but the case can be made either way.

OL (8)

King Dunlap

Chad Rinehart

Nick Hardwick

Johnnie Troutman: Expected to start for RG Jeromey Clay (hip), who is inactive a minimum six weeks on the PUP list.

D.J. Fluker

Chris Watt

Rich Ohrnberger

Willie Smith: Arguably his best game of preseason came when he needed it most. He gets nod over Michael Harris in tight race.

WR (6)

Keenan Allen

Malcom Floyd

Eddie Royal

Vincent Brown: Encouraging strides being made in rehab from July 25 calf injury. Taken longer than expected, but he's close to practicing.

Dontrelle Inman

Seyi Ajirotutu

TE (4)

Antonio Gates

Ladarius Green

David Johnson

John Phillips

DL (6)

Corey Liuget

Kendall Reyes

Sean Lissemore

Lawrence Guy

Ryan Carrethers: With Kwame Geathers (knee) on injured reserve, fifth-round rookie nose tackle could see more of field than previously planned.

Tenny Palepoi: An end who's also worked at nose tackle, he pushes streak to 18 years an undrafted rookie makes franchise's 53. Chargers still could bring in outside help, as they monitor cuts around the league.

OLB (5)

Melvin Ingram

Jarret Johnson

Dwight Freeney

Jerry Attaochu

Tourek Williams: Showed some life in run support Thursday, setting the edge the best he has this preseason. Seems firmly ahead of Thomas Keiser.

ILB (5)

Donald Butler

Manti Te'o

Kavell Conner: It doesn't appear Te'o's job is in jeopardy, but Conner proving an upgrade to depth the Chargers had in 2013. Also contributes on special teams.

Reggie Walker

Andrew Gachkar

CB (4)

Shareece Wright

Brandon Flowers

Jason Verrett: Athleticism been on full display since start of training camp. Should make impact for club as rookie.

Steve Williams

Safety (5)

Eric Weddle

Marcus Gilchrist

Jahleel Addae

Darrell Stuckey

Richard Marshall: Move from cornerback helps him stick. Addae (hamstring) in question for season opener.

Kicker (1)

Nick Novak

Punter (1)

Mike Scifres

Long snapper (1)

Mike Windt

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    According to Gehlken, Reese and Sorensen have been cut

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    And Harris is getting the nod over Smith. Acee is spot on, as always. ;)

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Jaguars have just cut rookies Deandre Coleman and Ricky Heimuli, both big bodies and can play the nose. Kelcy Quarles has been cut by the Giants as well. I know there was interest with him before the draft. Both teams have very crowded defensive lines.

Telesco looking for more experience most likely but I'm sure he's got tricks up his sleeve.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    The Bolt Staff have some very tough moves to make some good players will slip through the cracks. It's a good sign that the team is moving in the right direction if it leads to wins on game days. My biggest concern going into the season is the D-line which is odd because for years it's been the defensive backfield. I hope the L-backing corp can really step up, especially in the middle or it could turn out to be a very unhappy year.

14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    Wow you got pretty close on most of this stuff. They did stun fans with Oliver and Grice, but just in a different way lol. You only completely whiffed on Law.

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I guessed right on Brown being cut, what I don't understand is only keeping five WR's then adding a fifth RB. Could TT be cooking up an enticing trade dish for a DT with a little dance left in his step....?? :sneaky:

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Our practice squad is almost finished it sounds like....

Javontee Herndon, Torrence Allen, Craig Watts, Jeremiah Sirles, Chas Alecxih, Cordarro Law, Greg Ducre, Adrian Phillips, and RYAN LINDLEY?

1 more spot.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  17. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    No Mike Harris, that OT Sirles was a priority UDFA, so maybe Joe D likes him. Also surprised no Darby.

Sad about Reese.

18. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    daaang Brad Sorenson must have really fell off pace...

19. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Lindley is a year younger and has an extra year of NFL experience, but I'm not how they stack up beyond that.

20. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    No Flacco either.

Have to believe this practice squad will see a lot of movement in the next few weeks as well.

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I hit on Herndon and T Allen too, although I thought Law would make the 53 he's on the PS so good for him. Surprised Harris is on the FA Highway now, injuries may have been a concern in his case though.

22. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    That ankle injury Harris had was pretty serious and he didn't look nearly as good this year as last.

23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,175
    I thought that Law really filled some space on that last game, even though it was AZ scrubs. I agree with some of the sentiments expressed that TT has something brewing, the man has a plan...

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Lindley played for Arizona...... he knows their team, and the rest of the NFC West. Not a bad tactical move by TT.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    The San Diego Chargers began announcing members of the 2014 practice squad. They include:

QB Ryan Lindley - Former SDSU star spent first two years on the Arizona Cardinals active roster, appearing in six games.

WR Javontee Herndon - Undrafted rookie made impression in preseason, snaring five passes for 59 yards, averaging 11.8 yards per reception.

WR Torrence Allen - Showed playmaking ability in practice and in games, catching three balls for 25 yards.

T Jeremiah Sirles - A 6-6, 315-pound former two-time All-Big Ten choice from Nebraska, the tackle showed poise and effectiveness at line of scrimmage.

G Craig Watts - The 6-4, 335-pound guard from tiny West Texas A&M signed with Bolts after rookie minicamp and made strong impression to stick on practice squad.

DL Chas Alecxih - Affable defensive lineman capped off strong preseason with a monster sack against the Cardinals.

OLB Cordarro Law - Former CFL star proved he has what it takes to succeed in NFL, ranking second on Bolts in preseason with 13 tackles along with one strip-sack. He also paced club in special teams tackles.

CB Greg Ducre - Los Angeles native showed steady improveiment all summer, culminating with well deserved spot on practice squad.

S Adrian Phillips - The 5-11, 210-pound former Texas star ended preseason with seven tackles.

One spot still remains open.

26. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    I keep confusing Craig Watts and Chris Watt.

27. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +633
    What?! :eek:

28. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +633
    How dialed in and connected that Kevin Acee is :roflmao:

Kept putting Brad Sorensen on every single one of his 53-man roster mocks :whistling:

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. tito

tito BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I was looking at some of the other teams ps signings and Becton was signed by the Giants.

30. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    STOP