1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

UT Reporting Hardwick has foot surgery

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Stan_The_Man_12, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Could be out 4 to 6 mos. Surgery was March 14th. Nice of them to tell us. Nick you should have had surgery on Jan 22nd. Not March 14th.

Stan :rivers17:

:icon_huh:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
  3. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    For the love of Pete. The Chargers should get a group discount. :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jmurns

Jmurns BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    But the good news is that the surgery was in January. That means returning anwhere from May to June. Plenty of time to get into game shape. And he didn't waste much time gettin cut on. Season ended on the 20th and he's in surgery the 23th. But what's up with waiting until mid-March for surgery with Mcneill and Merriman? Was there a medical reason for this? Or are they just really bad procrastinators?

• Like Like x 1
  5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think their surgeries only required a few weeks' rehab.

6. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Seriously....Unless something happened during the time off.

7. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Wrong, the surgery Hardwick had was March 14th about a week ago. With recovery time he's expected back in 4 to 6 mos. that takes him a few games [sounds like Parker all over again] into the season, then he'll have to get into game shape, which is another few weeks after that. I say he misses half the season.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080321/news_1s21chargers.html

8. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Sorry, got to hyped up with the Al Crapton story forgot.:icon_sad:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Recovery time COULD be 4 to 6 months, meaning it could be a tad less. Hardwick can still work strength training with a boot or cast on. Depending upon the cast, can still work stationary bikes and rowing machines. He can also begin work in a pool far sooner that on dry land. He won't have to stay off of the foot completely as the healing process moves along. Not being game ready isn't the same as not being training ready. There should be no conditioning lag between coming off the injury and getting back on the field. He may have to be spelled from time to time for a a couple of weeks, but he'll ready for game action the day he's medically cleared. Parker, Gates and now Hardwick have all had foot injuries mishandled. Neither Parker nor Gates got medical intervention in a timely matter. Trying to stay on the field with those type of foot injuries was either the product of player pig headedness and stupidity or faulty medical advice. In Hardwick's case, the conservative approach used for rehabbing a normal person's injury was ill advised. Normal people don't stress themselves the way NFL players do and the corrective surgery should have been performed post haste. Still, I doubt that he will miss any games.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Between Hardwick, Gates and Rivers all possibly being out, this is a big time problem and I'd start questioning the conditioning and training staff because that strikes me as them being way too optimistic about the players' ability to recover

11. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    RC,

I'm not so sure, there something about being game ready that requires, well..... a football callous, some of you that actually played might know what I am talking about, it's never the same getting banged around in practice and running around in practice as compared to game action. As a former HS OLB and "5-2" end [HS is as far as I got because of a severely broken ankle] I knew I needed to take some shots and get whacked over the course of a few games to actually get in game shape. IMO I seriously doubt Hardwick will be ready by opening season [I sincerely hope I am wrong!] and hope that RC proves me wrong. :tup:

12. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That's a worst-case scenario. Hardwick is a young dude, if the recovery time is closer to four months, he should be good to go.

Nick can still lift weights and ride the stationary bike to stay in reasonable shape.

Positive thinking, brother. :tup:

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    I hear you, I would rather go into battle in 08 with a healthy Hardwick even if Rivers is unable to start the 08 season, but the reality is that AJ and Co have to look at possible contingencies and don't fool yourself into thinking that 08 is going to be a walk through for the division especially early on.

In case Hardwick can't go Q: do you trust Withrow? and if so for how long??

To me anybody that's not close to 100% ready to go after week 3 of pre-season probably will not start the regular season.

Will we end up drafting a Offensive Center in the middle rounds??

Also not Frank Okam DT Texas, I've heard some rumblings that some scouts view him as a OL prospect and not as much as a DT prospect. It worked with Dielman, wonder if this possible to do with Okam, the only thing is that Okam's conversion would take about 2 seasons if at all.

14. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Nick would participate in training camp. With the direction of the medical staff, Nick tried to see if his injury would sufficiently heal on its own... up until a given deadline date. That deadline date would be some time prior to training camp minus the expected recovery time. 6 months is a worse case scenario. For the average Joe, that doesn't have the same type of medical attention, nothing better to do than rehab, and physical therapy, then preparation for being ready in June would be questionable. Not the case with Nick. Trust that the Chargers are taking every necessary step to get their group of guys ready for next season... beginning with training camp.

15. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Anybody else concerned about or depth at OT besides me???

After all we did let Olivea go [he remains unsigned at this time] and now we lack any coverage for either OT spot.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!!!! :icon_eek:

16. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I agree with the group discount part, but who the hell is Pete and why do we need his love? :icon_huh:

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Roman oben

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Six months is the outside figure. It would help if the Chargers wouldn't treat injury statements like White House executive privilege so there would be some info to hand our hats on. Hardwick's therapy will be more frequent and intense than we would get from even good health coverage. The outside date here is mid August from the time of surgery. Then there is the fact that the Chargers have no problem lying through their teeth to the public over injuries. I don't even know what got "sprained", whether it's a ligament or tendon in the toe or the plantar Fascia. I'm more worried about Gates' injury at the moment. That one appears to me more serious.

19. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

"It would help if the Chargers wouldn't treat injury statements like White House executive privilege so there would be some info to hand our hats on." :icon_rofl:

Who knew AJ was trained by the NSA?!

20. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38
    Is Obey still on the team, I tought we cut him during the playoffs, was he re-signed? I might have missed that. I love Oben but isn't he 950 years old?

21. Stan_The_Man_12

Ratings:
    +38

Somehow I think Blue Cross CA :icon_eek: is screwing the Chargers!

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    If Oben makes the roster it'll be because we don't have depth behind the starters. We need to draft some beef.

23. twilight15

twilight15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    I agree. Who do you think we could get with any of our picks?

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we stay at #27 & go beef, there are several OL who could be available.

Sam Baker
    Carl Nicks
    Gosder Cherilous
    Branden Albert
    Chris Williams

If we trade down, some of those same guys could be there, along with others. There's beef to be had.

Speaking of Hardwick's late surgery, got this from Yahoo:

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=396678

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Buck has listed these guys and I agree with him for the most part.

Sam Baker
    Carl Nicks
    Gosder Cherilous
    Branden Albert
    Chris Williams

I would go guard first and if Albert is there I wouldn't hesitate, but I doubt he will be. Depending on who is available at our spot, I would probably trade out of the first round with someone who could get us into the top of the second AND third, even if we had to package someone like Marques Harris and as a last resort, Parker (him I like and prefer to keep). Two guys that intrigue me in the later rounds are Charles Manu and Brandon Keith. I'd have too see which of the above guys are available if we trade down, but Chilo Rachal looks real interesting.