1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vasher pushing Cason

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

BY SCOTT BAIR - sbair@nctimes.com | Posted: August 9, 2010 5:24 pm

Turner has been enamored with cornerback Nathan Vasher's performance in training camp. The free-agent acquisition played with the first team while Antoine Cason was out last week with a hamstring strain.

While Cason remains the presumptive starter opposite Quentin Jammer, Vasher has made it more of a competition than anyone expected.

"Antoine's ready to be the starter, but it's a setback when you miss a week of training camp," Turner said. "In his absence, Vasher has been outstanding.
    Those guys are going to be competing pretty good for that spot.

"... There's competition at any spot on this team. At the corner position, if you miss a week and someone comes in and plays well, you're going to look at it and say, 'These guys might be closer than we think.' Cason's the guy who will probably be (starting at) corner. He just has to go play."

[​IMG]

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    knock on wood, But this may be one of our best d-backfields we've had in a while. Stricklin sounds good at nickle. Stuckey and gregory are fighting for a saftey spot. And the new guys hughes ,hughes and simmons are looking good.

Hope we can stash some of the good young cb's on the practice squad without them being snapped up.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Line em up 3 deep, see who wants to be the starter

Vasher's going to get alot of playing time regardless of whether he wins the starting job from Cason. He's too good to keep away from the field

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    No way, this is a bunch of hot air. Anyone who saw Vasher play last year knows he doesn't have a shot in hell at being our #2, unless Rivera is giving him preferential treatment.

But I have a man crush on this Strickland guy, his skill set is tailor made to defend a guy like Wes Welker.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hasn't Vasher been hampered by injuries? If he's healthy, he just might be returning to form. I doubt Turner would be pulling Cason's leg just to motivate him.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I think Ron Rivera has more to do with who starts on defense than Norv.

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I like it jus posted the RapidReport bout this in the RR thread.

Vasher isnt finised as a player yet. Bet his 09 career is gonna look as strange as LTs 2010 debut.

8. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    More than likely, but the two of them would be discussing this at least once a day. Since the assistants have been gagged, Norv would be doing the talking.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The four corners have a combined 51 career interceptions. Yes, I've pointed it out before, but this bodes very well for the season.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    RTL likes this. [​IMG]

11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I've been reading/listening voraciously this last while and almost had my mind made up;

Jammer LCB
    Cason RCB
    Nickel CB Strickland

Backup corners - Vasher, D Hughes.

PS - Simmons and maybe B Hughes.

and then this article!!. I'm not so sure Vasher has enough to beat out Cason. Probably just mind games from Norv to keep Cason on his toes.

12. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    This is a good problem to have.

I like Vasher and if he is recovered from his injuries he could be a good one. Plus, and this is key... injuries happen guys. Remember when Adrian Pederson ran all over us, Jammer was out that game. It's nice if a guy Jammer, Cason, Strickland, etc...gets knicked up we can still throw out a good starting line-up.

13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Good point. Some take depth for granted.

14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Good call Dublin Bolt. I think that's how our starting secondary will end up. I'm good with that. :tup:

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I don't know if it is total BS, but I do think Norv was sending a message to Cason.

Sounds like he thinks Cason should be playing through his injuries.

16. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Vasher getting love

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 26 minutes ago
    8-11-2010

The former Chicago cornerback has fielded some questions ahead of this week’s matchup against the Bears, but he’s also caught praise from Head Coach Norv Turner for his play on the field.

SAN DIEGO – Nathan Vasher is in demand this week.

He spent the first six years of his career in Chicago, the Chargers’ first preseason opponent, before signing with San Diego in March.

The 5-foot-11, 185-pound cornerback made a name for himself with the Bears, including a Pro Bowl season in 2005 during which he made eight interceptions and finished with 18 passes defensed.

Singled out by Head Coach Norv Turner for his hard work, Vasher has continued to impress after the team signed him to add depth to the secondary.

Vasher spent several days working with the first defense as Antoine Cason rested a sore hamstring. Cason since has returned to practice.

“I think he’s doing outstanding. I think he’s been very, very consistent,” Turner said. “He’s got a good understanding of what we’re doing. I’m excited to watch him play in these preseason games.”

Vasher played under defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and secondary coach Steven Wilks in Chicago. While he may be familiar with the coaches, Rivera since has switched to a 3-4 defensive scheme.

What we do is a little different than what they did with the Bears,” Turner said. “(But) he’s got great work ethic and he’s a very disciplined player.”

COAST TO COAST: Coastal Carolina is a small Division I school with less than 10,000 students.

Tucked 13 miles west of Myrtle Beach, S.C., the Chanticleers wouldn’t be called an NFL factory by many. They boast four NFL players, half of which now are under contract in San Diego.

The Chargers signed Quinton Teal on Tuesday. Teal played for Coastal Carolina along with fullback Mike Tolbert.

With Darrell Stuckey limited in practice to start this week, the Chargers had one healthy player on the roster at strong safety before adding Teal, who appeared in 44 games with Carolina from 2007 to 2009.

“We’re a little bit short at the safety position, so it’s another guy that can come in and compete,” Turner said. “He’s played well in this league and circumstances were that he was available, so he’s going to have an opportunity.”

PRACTICE CLOSING: The last practice open to the public starts at 4 p.m. Thursday at Chargers Park. The full-pads session is scheduled for 4 to 6 p.m.

BLACKOUT: Unfortunately, Saturday’s preseason game against the Bears will not be shown live in the San Diego television market per NFL policy.
    Locally, the only way to see the game live is to attend.

Approximately 7,800 general tickets remain available at Qualcomm Stadium Gate C, Chargers.com, TicketMaster outlets or by calling TicketMaster at (800) 745-3000.

The game kicks off at 6 p.m.

PROJECTED WINNERS: Madden 2011 was released Wednesday. The popular video game rated San Diego an 85 and picked the Chargers to finish first in the AFC West.

BOLTS: Buster Davis made a handful of catches Wednesday working against the first defense, including a 30-yard beauty from Philip Rivers near the left sideline during 7-on-7s ... Rivers later threw a float pass at the goal line that hovered long enough to escape a defender’s leap and settle into Darren Sproles’ hands … Steve Gregory made a red zone interception during the morning practice.

MORNING PRACTICE WEATHER: Sunny, 71 degrees

EVENING PRACTICE WEATHER: Sunny, 74 degrees.

17. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect there is a parallel here with Tra Thomas. Both guys with excellent track records who got lost in the shuffle and lost playing time because of pure oversight or transient injury who have fallen into AJ's ample lap.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Man that is alot of Vasher praise. I love the secondary we got goin this year. Gonna be tough to lose some of these guys to the 53 cut. Thus is NFL life tho.

19. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS: Cornerbacks at a glance

BY SCOTT BAIR - sbair@nctimes.com | Posted: August 11, 2010 5:20 pm

Ringleader
    Quentin Jammer
    The ninth-year veteran is considered among the best cornerbacks in the NFL. Jammer isn't flashy, but he usually gets the job done. He'll make the smart play over a high-risk, possibly spectacular gamble. That's why he doesn't rack up interceptions and has never been to the Pro Bowl, but his consistency and decision-making has earned respect from around the league.
    Major contributors
    Antoine Cason, Nathan Vasher, Donald Strickland
    This is Cason's year to shine. He's slotted to start opposite Jammer, his first such opportunity since being drafted in the first round of the 2008 draft. Cason has been sharp this offseason, but any slip-up will make room for Vasher -- who has had an excellent camp -- to step in. Strickland will be the nickel back and Vasher will offer support to both starting corners.
    Fresh faces
    Traye Simmons, Brandon Hughes, Dante Hughes
    The Chargers probably will keep another corner on the roster -- although he'll likely be inactive -- and possibly another on the practice squad because SS Steve Gregory's experience at corner gives the team flexibility There's hot competition for those posts, as all three young players have had quality camps. The preseason games, however, should provide some separation.
    Outlook
    Jammer is the unquestioned leader of this group, which is deeper and more experienced than in seasons past. Look for more consistent coverage, better tackling and increased takeaways.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS: Vasher is eager for a clean slate

Former Bears cornerback hopes to recapture his Pro Bowl form

BY JEFF SANDERS - jsanders@nctimes.com | Posted: August 11, 2010 5:56 pm

SAN DIEGO -- Injuries sapped his momentum. Playing time dwindled. His angst grew.
    Five years removed from a Pro Bowl second season with the Chicago Bears, Nathan Vasher's jaw certainly didn't drop when he learned of his release last March.
    The 28-year-old cornerback expected the move, even welcomed it as a means of reviving a career that began so auspiciously under the wings of former Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.
    Paired again with Rivera in San Diego ---- not to mention former Bears defensive backs coach Steven Wilks -- Vasher is hoping that familiarity aids in his fight for playing time with a Chargers team in need of experienced veterans in its quest to remain a Super Bowl contender.
    "I think it was a no-brainer for me," Vasher said between workouts Wednesday in preparation for his new team's preseason opener against his old Bears teammates Saturday at Qualcomm Stadium. "You feel like you have an opportunity to do some special things in the season, as far as always having an opportunity to win a championship with a talented group of guys. ... With all the familiar faces here, it was just icing on the cake. I think it was a perfect fit for me."
    Vasher's fit in Chicago was seemingly locked up through the first part of this decade after he signed a five-year, $28 million extension after the 2006 season. The 5-foot-11 Vasher earned that raise, too, starting in seven games as a rookie -- and picking off five passes -- as a fourth-round draft pick out of Texas in 2004 and finishing among the league leaders with eight interceptions during a Pro Bowl second season.
    By the time he finished his third NFL season -- when he started 13 games for the Super Bowl-bound Bears -- Vasher's natural, ball-hawking instincts had not only etched his name in the Bears record book (his eight interceptions in 2005 rank third in franchise history), they reserved a spot for him in NFL history, too. His 108-yard touchdown return of a missed field goal in 2005 stood as an NFL record until former Charger Antonio Cromartie dashed 109 yards on a missed field goal against the Jets two years later.
    "He was a guy that had a great sense of what was going on, in terms of reading the opponent, understanding what was happening," said Rivera, who served as the Bears' defensive coordinator between 2004 and 2006. "And he plays taller than he is. You look at him, and he's kind of a smaller guy. But then you watch him stretch out for a ball, and you say, 'OK, he's pretty athletic.' "
    Then the decline started. A partially torn groin injury limited Vasher to four games in 2007, and a wrist injury cost him more than half the season in 2008. Finally healthy last season, Vasher started just two games and totaled 13 tackles in sparse action, with the final blow to his status with the Bears coming on the 50-yard, game-winning touchdown pass he yielded in the season opener at Green Bay.
    The Bears were ready to get younger in the secondary, and the $3 million owed to Vasher for this season made the former Pro Bowler a release candidate. For his part, Vasher -- plenty pleased with general manager Jerry Angelo's upfront approach while speaking about his future with the Bears midway through last season -- was ready to move on, too.
    "You never know what kind of year I could have had last year if I had played, but I didn't play," Vasher said. "The worst thing you can do to a player ... is sit him on the bench and not play him when he's capable of playing. It's frustrating at times, but you have to continue to be a professional when it comes to that and help out the young guys, and that was exactly what I did."
    The two sides parted amicably, and when Vasher looked around the league for a comfortable landing spot, the Chargers topped his list. Fellow Longhorn and good friend Quentin Jammer was already on the team, the Chargers had openings in their secondary after trading Cromartie to the Jets, and Rivera's and Wilks' presence would aid in the transition to a new team.
    The attraction was a two-way street, too.
    "That was part of it," Rivera said. "It was also, 'Let's go get a guy who has some experience. We didn't have that after the trade with Cromartie came about -- we didn't have an experienced guy over there, so we had to go find one. Nate was available and he was a very good fit for us because Wilks knows him very well, I know him, and I think he's a guy who's going to give you a good security blanket."
    Vasher, of course, is hoping to accomplish a bit more than that this summer after signing a two-year deal worth $4.5 million He turned heads when he stepped into first-team action during Antoine Cason's bout with a strained hamstring last week, and he and continues to impress coaches with his instincts and technique while acclimating himself to multifaceted schemes that differ drastically from Chicago's version of the Tampa 2 system.
    With Jammer and Cason entrenched as the starting corners and Donald Strickland slated as the nickel back, Vasher is fighting to become the first corner off the bench. Wilks wouldn't underestimate Vasher in that position battle, either. The Chargers' secondary coach knows Vasher too well for that.
    "He still has a lot of good football left in him," said Wilks, Vasher's position coach with the Bears between 2006 and 2008. "I think in any organization and any business, you want to try to surround yourself with familiarity -- guys that you know, guys that you trust. One thing about Nate, he's a guy that we trust and a guy that we know.
    "I know what he's about. He's a fierce competitor and he's a guy that's going to come in here and compete and do an outstanding job."

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Thursday night’s practice was the last practice open to the public.

CB Nathan Vasher dropped an interception. “Pizza, Pizza,” CB Antoine Cason and CB Quentin Jammer yelled out to Vasher. “All the DBs, if you drop an interception you got to buy the room a pizza,” Cason said. At this rate, the DBs will go hungry before getting fat.

Pizza, Pizza... :lol: