1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vasques is like Dielman?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by luckeystar6, May 25, 2009.

1. luckeystar6

luckeystar6 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    From what i heard Vasquez is the shiz nizzzzz. Just like a deilman finishing his blocks all the way. Possible pro bowler in the future???

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Might be a bit early to call him a pro bowler, but I hope you're right.

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Its good Norv likes him...but what do his Oline coaches think? I still say Kynon starts in 2009

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Way too early to tell if pro bowler but he's got the power and the right attitude

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What's better?

Being the Shizz Nizz... or Being a Pro Bowler?

I'm glad Mr. Vasquez has already been enshrined in Canton. I was getting really tired of waiting for this guy to step up. :bananasmoke:

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    He is supposed to have a nasty demeanor, so he is like Dielman in that regard.

Let's see how he moves guys around in the preseason.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    "Nasty" Vasquez and "Dirty" Dielman. I like. Is Vasquez opposite side to Dielman??

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I am deeply disturbed by this signature.

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    It's a tad troubling. Thank God our tackles aren't named Sanchez and Trombone.

10. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Funny, it used to be that collegiate OGs came to the NFL and had to be taught how to pass block... Vasquez is in the opposite situation and has to prove himself as a drive/run blocker. Just weird.

Having said that - I have high hopes for this young man - he was one of the players on my "short list" of O-linesmen to snag on day 2 after both Shamrock and Foober (posting elsewhere) caused me to go back and have a look at him a couple months before the 2009 draft. Sure looks like a stud - but we will have to wait several years to really rate how well he and the others adapt to the NFL.

~~~

Predictably, Larry English was not on my board, but then neither was Antoine Cason. :)

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :) Bring it on Davis! :icon_party:

12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers Team Report

Rookie right guard Louis Vasquez is among those absorbing all he can. The former Texas Tech standout is hoping his learning curve isn't steep.

Vasquez might have more to learn than other blockers. He played in the spread formation for the Red Raiders, an offense which leaned heavily on the passing game. And while the Chargers have transformed into a pass-first offense, they do still have LaDainian Tomlinson in the backfield. And while Turner has built his reputation as being a quarterback's coach, he still appreciates a consistent running attack.

"They throw quite a bit at you in college, but it's nothing quite like this," said Vasquez, a third-round pick. "My head was spinning at bit at first, but I'm starting to feel comfortable with what I'm learning and my ability to apply it."

Vasquez, if he can get up to speed, could push for a starting job.

Veteran Mike Goff fled as a free agent to Kansas City and Kynan Forney has been tabbed as the potential starter. But that's not to say Vasquez won't get a long look, especially if he has the look of someone knowing his assignments.

In camp, he admitted that sometimes trying to glean so much so fast can be overwhelming.

"If I look over the playbook too much, the information can get jumbled up a bit," Vasquez said. "I focus on it until I'm confident I understand the play. I'll review here and there just to stay fresh, but for the most part I've been focusing on my workouts and getting ready for these sessions and the rest of the offseason program."

The offseason is mostly to start getting the body into football shape in time for camp. But the mental aspect, especially for the younger players eager to show they can play above the shoulders, carries almost as much importance.
    "I've been talking to the veterans, and they've suggested some things that have helped me out a lot," Vasquez said

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    There is a hole at RG, so Vasquez is one of the possibilities along with Forney and Mruczkowski.

14. Bagman

Bagman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Mruc will remain Hardwick's backup unless Green can oust him, which I doubt given his limited # of snaps at center in college.

If Vasquez doesn't start the season as the #1 RG, he'll be there by mid-season. He just has to work on his run-blocking & adapt to the speed of the pros.

He's big, strong, nasty, works hard, finishes blocks - sounds like the future to me.