1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vasquez returns to practice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Aug 18, 2009

After a foot injury kept him out of action for nearly two weeks, Chargers rookie guard Louis Vasquez was back on the field Tuesday afternoon.

Following the Chargers’ Tuesday morning practice, Head Coach Norv Turner said he thought it would take a few more days before either of his top two draft picks would return from injuries.

Turner was glad he was wrong about one of them. Guard Louis Vasquez[​IMG], who suffered a foot injury nearly two weeks ago, was back on the field Tuesday afternoon banging into defensive linemen and linebackers and getting back in the flow of things.

“It’s just been progressing every day,” Vasquez said of his foot. “I came out and it felt good. I kept rolling through practice and thank God I finished up.”

During the time he was unable to practice, Vasquez made sure to play particularly close attention in meetings and he diligently took mental reps during practice. Because of that, he didn’t feel too far behind in what he was asked to do Tuesday afternoon.

“Mentally I felt up to speed because I’ve been in meetings and talking to coaches,” Vasquez said. “I was in the playbook. Whenever a coach decides to change something, we’ll address it in meetings. I felt pretty good on my assignments and stuff (today).”

After Vasquez’s strong start to training camp, Turner anticipated that would be the case when the team’s third-round pick got back to work.

“He got off to such a great start and was so impressive in the things he did,” Turner said last week. “I’m disappointed that he missed the reps, but he’s a sharp guy and the things he showed me, I think when we get him back he can continue to progress and get to where we need him to be.”

Vasquez anticipates that he’ll make his Chargers debut Saturday night when the team travels to Arizona for a preseason matchup with the Cardinals.

‘Greatest’ update

Fans can continue to vote for the 50 Greatest Chargers by clicking here. Two weeks into voting, the top five vote getters are Dan Fouts, LaDainian Tomlinson[​IMG], Junior Seau, Kellen Winslow and Charlie Joiner.

New additions

Both long snapper David Binn[​IMG] and kicker Nate Kaeding[​IMG] were excused from practice Monday and Tuesday to be by the sides of their wives. Both Binn and Kaeding became fathers of little boys Monday, Binn for the first time and Kaeding for the second.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Congrats to Binn & Kaeding. I'm a little surprised that Nate could hit it in the clutch. :lol:

Excited to see Vasquez (hopefully) against AZ. :tup:
  3. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Good news 'bout Vasquez...We need all the help we can get on the right side.