1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vaughn Martin ready to go pro

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Martin ready to go pro

Casey Pearce
    Posted Apr 30, 2009

Chargers defensive end Vaughn Martin is anxious to get to San Diego for this weekend’s minicamp so he can take the next step in a fascinating career path.

When Vaughn Martin[​IMG]’s family moved from Jamaica to Canada in 1995, the then nine-year old was ready to take up a new sport, although it took him six more years to find the one that would change his life.

“I watched the movie the The Mighty Ducks and told my mom I was going to play hockey,” said Martin, the massive defensive end whom the Chargers drafted in the fourth round last Sunday. “I wish I was making that up.”

Martin’s hockey career didn’t make it very far, but a few years later, he was watching a friend play football when a coach approached him and asked if he wanted to play. Despite a somewhat humorous introduction to the game, Martin fell in love with it.

“I had no idea how to put on my pads,” Martin said. “My first game, I wore a pair of white shoes and I was slipping all over the place. I just liked the aggressiveness. I liked the fact that you could beat the crap out of somebody for three hours.”

At the time, Martin was a 15-year-old high school freshman who stood under six feet tall and estimates that he weighed around 180 pounds. He says he grew five inches between his sophomore and senior years. He’ll report to Chargers’ minicamp this weekend at 6-4, 327 pounds.

As Martin grew physically, so did his opportunities on the football field. He was recruited by several college programs in the United States and signed a letter of intent to play at Michigan State upon his completion of high school in London, Ontario.

Martin, who scored an impressive 38 on the Wonderlic Exam this spring, didn’t qualify academically due to an issue with his transcript, not his classroom performance. A change on the Spartans’ coaching staff complicated the situation, and he decided to stay close to home for college.

“In the process of finding a new school, I just came back to Canada,” Martin said. “I knew it was going to be a longer road and tougher to get noticed. All that meant was I had to work a little harder to get noticed, and that’s what I did.”

Martin’s size, athleticism and production drew the attention of several NFL clubs. While he wasn’t invited to the February’s Scouting Combine, Martin wowed the Chargers during individual workouts.

Chargers fans received their introduction to Martin through a YouTube video in which Martin leveled Chargers area scout Tom Gibbons, a clip that has been at the center of many jokes over the last few months.

“I can understand how it would be amusing to some folks,” Martin said with a sly grin. “I’m just thankful that Mr. Gibbons went back and said some nice things about me. He was a good sport about it.”

Martin left college a year early, making him the first player in Canadian Interuniversity Sports (CIS) underclassman to be drafted by an NFL team. The game he played in college was a little different – wider and longer fields, three downs instead of four, and receivers taking a running start behind the line of scrimmage before the snap.

The Chargers will be patient with Martin as he adjusts to the nuances of the game and a much higher level of competition, but Martin is ready to embrace the challenge.

“I’ve always been a fast learner,” Martin said. “That’s not something I’m worried about. I’m excited to put it into action. I know I need a lot of work on technique and things like that, but I’m going to be working with some great coaches in San Diego. I’ve got a lot to learn, but I’m ready to go to work.”

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    What a mental image.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Imagine being checked into the glass by a 6' 4" 327 lb dude! :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 2
  4. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I'm looking forward to seeing Martin gettin started and if he can learn fast and contribute it would be great for him and for the team! :bolt::tup::bolt:

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Our coaches will develop Martin. Once in a time he will be a starter !:icon_banana:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    My friend, with a guy that big you don't get checked INTO the glass you get checked THROUGH the glass :icon_rofl:

Love his attitude that he's going to come here and work hard, never can have enough of those people

7. socaldelmar

socaldelmar Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Good to hear :tup:

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Man I love this dude's personality already, seems like a humble but dangerous person on the field.

Can't wait to see him on the field Kickin' ***! :icon_twisted:

:lol:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's awesome. Sounds like another AJ Gem in the later rounds. Dude is just raw, but has the size, drive and character to overcome his inexperience. I think he's going to be a starter eventually but let him learn from big Jamal and the other vets and he'll be a stud for us on the line.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It sounds like he has all the nastiness and want's to bring it. Merriman should be lickin his chops right now. Someone else that want's to bring the pain, let him be one of the baddest guy's in the NFL and for God's sake CHEAT.....

11. SecretAsianMan

SecretAsianMan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I like the fact that he scored so high on the Wonderlic. Intelligence and quick thinking is one of those things you really can't teach.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I don't care if he's a genius, he's playing football for a living and I hope he'd kick someone in the balls if he knew it would help.

13. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45
    Neither do I really. One of things that Wonderlic does (in theory) is gauge how fast a person reacts in pressure moments. Football is a game of nano-seconds, so having someone that can potentially make quick decisions on the fly would a very good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe for a second that the Wonderlic is full-proof. Petyon Manning scored high on the Wonderlic, but so did Ryan Leaf. Vince Young scored low on the Wonderlic, but so did Steve McNair. So it's a far cry from being accurate, but it's still another way of gauging a player that, let's face it, we really don't know much about, at least on the pro level.

14. SecretAsianMan

Ratings:
    +45
    Oh, and here's the now famous Vaugh Martin tackle vid if anyone hasn't already seen it...

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    "The Mighty Ducks", my patootoo. He sounds like "Slap Shot". Kind of what we need around here.

16. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    A Jamaican playing ice hockey makes me think of Cool Runnings, even though that was bobsledding. :lol:

17. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    For whatever reason I think this dude is going to be a game changer; guess I'm thinking it somewhat like the Tony Gates scenario; he won't know any better and we are starting off with a quite impressive amount of strength and speed.

If he can actually get past his blocker and disrupt the backfield its just going to make it that much beter for our backers. If Rivera does keep it fresh and not predictable teams are going to have a hell of a time blocking jamal up the middle; dealing with martin on the edge and then castillo; lol ok well castillo is always a few plays away from injuring his vagina , so no need to factor him in. Mix in some blitzes from the backers, safeties, and cbs and I think our pass defense looks alot better right away.

I can't wait to see what rivera has in store for us; anyone know if Martin is intended to stay as a DE or be transitioned to the NT once jamal is sent to the buffet to pasture?

18. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    After the draft, Martin said he spoke to the coaches and they told him he'd be started off at RDE and they would groom him long-term at NT.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    sounds good to me!