1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Very good draft AJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Apr 28, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have been extremely critical of him the past few years, but this was a very good draft. Had he drafted like this the last 3 years, we wouldn't have the holes that we do. But i guess it is better late than never.

Overall, this entire offseason reminds me a lot of 2004

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Good draft. Yes. Very good draft? IMO no.

3. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    I like the draft a lot. I think the guard might be a reach but I think our 7th round pick might turn out to be the steal of the draft. That center can play. All in all, I'd give it an A based on need, selection, and pick management.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We got 3 guys that very likely will be starters by mid-season, that is a VERY good draft

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Totally agree. It is an A in my book

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

How do you know that all 3 are LIKELY to be starters by mid season? You must have a crystal ball that I don't have. I don't think Reyes will start maybe at all this year, with the young guys we already have, and Castillo coming back this year.

Taylor could POSSIBLY start at some point this year because of the lack of decent players we have at the position.

Ingram will play for sure.

So saying that they are LIKELY to be starters is a bit of a reach. Could all 3 of them be? Sure. Not saying that it's not possible. Just not saying at this point that it is likely.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Have you seen who we have at SS? Have you see who we have at DE? The only question is Ingram, and even if he isn't starting, he will play a lot.

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Yeah, no way Reyes could beat out Liuget....... that guy is a frickin' stud. :D

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    A-

I think there's three starters by december at least, one (potentially two) starters within three years. Great value throughout, they hit their major needs especially at defense with good players. I've been very very critical of AJ over the last few years but this was an outstanding draft. We should threaten AJ Smith with firing ever year

10. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    ^ Exactly his A** had to be on the line for him to finally pick some damn good players in a draft .. I like how he ended it taking "Edwin Baker The Touchdown Maker" in the 7th round out of Michigan St. I watched a few of his games he can be a damn good back-up he runs hard more physical and can catch the ball out of the backfield, Overall Damn Good draft i grade it an A

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He could beat out Martin and Castillo by mid-season

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I'll say the exact same thing I say when AJ gets crucified for a draft:

It's about 3 years too early to tell.

As one who doesn't get too caught up in the mythical "great value" circle jerk,
    I (a long-time and unapologetic AJ fan) see good reason to be optimistic here...
    but we all know that plenty of promising athletes don't pan out, for a dozen reasons,
    beginning with injury. Overall, I feel pretty good right now
    --especially since AJ resisted mortgaging the future for short term (job-preserving?) success--
    but I still just think it's far too early to grade the draft of 2012.
    But that's just me. Everyone else? Knock yourselves out! (yes, I do see the fun in it) :)

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not sure this is necessary a knock on this draft class. Unless you are a crappy team, you don't usually get 3 rookie starters on your team. Ingram is an absolute stud and will be a key playmaker whether it's as a starter or in a situational pass rushing role. Reyes will rush the passer in nickel situations and see plenty of time in the rotation at DL. He might not be a starter, but he'll probably see as close to as many snaps per game as Liguet/Martin. Taylor could easily see himself playing on 1st and 2nd down by midseason, in addition to playing on the goal line and being a significant contributor on special teams. Green can see himself getting playing time early in some two TE sets conceived by Norv.

I LOVE this draft. This is easily the best I've felt about a Chargers draft since 2005. The top four picks are all locks to contribute early, so long as they stay healthy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It was eight years ago today
    Sgt. AJ picked the boys to play.
    They've been losin games of late
    but everybody thinks this last draft was great. :laugh:

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    ...........uhhhhh :whistling:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/43448/afc-west-draft-analysis-4

BEST MOVE

The first two days of the San Diego Chargers’ draft.

No one in the division scored like the Chargers did. Following up a strong free-agency class, Chargers GM A.J. Smith deserves a lot of credit for this draft. The Chargers badly needed impact players on defense and they got them.

San Diego made one of the top value picks of the draft when it watched South Carolina pass-rusher Melvin Ingram fall to them. He was supposed to be a top-10 pick. San Diego considered moving up to take Alabama safety Mark Barron but he went at No. 7. Instead, the Chargers stayed at home and watched an equally talented player fall to them. Ingram fills the Chargers’ biggest need and he should be an instant contributor.

The Chargers scored again by getting great value in the second and third rounds. San Diego watched Connecticut defensive lineman Kendall Reyes fall to them at No. 49. With LSU safetyBrandon Taylor still on the board (San Diego considered him at No. 49), the Chargers moved up and took him at No 73. There is no way the Chargers could have scripted the first three rounds any better.

The 2012 Chargers got better in this draft.

17. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    My dog can kick that dogs arse!!!!!!!

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Obviously nobody really knows anything about how anyone drafted in the past 3 days (including Luck) will pan out in their careers.

Discussions of this nature are all purely speculative, including your own opinions. DB67 is painfully obviously postulating that it is his opinion that 3 of the picks are likely starting by mid season.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    On the negative side its now reported that Troutman had pectoral surgery last week - oooookay

20. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
  21. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,727
  22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Paul McCartney you aint... ;)

24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Your astute and uncanny ability of the obvious is astounding. Other than that, I don't take the NFL draft to seriously. The only draft I was involved with never paid millions and usually ended with a one way ticket to hell.