1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Veteran leadership

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 22, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    We need it. Lo Neal, Seau, Harrison. These guys would be valuable to us right now. I don't care if they play or not I just want them on the sidelines mentoring and motivating our guys.

LT is not much of a vocal leader. Jamal doesn't say much. Rivers is only leader we have out there.

Thoughts?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Interesting. Rivers is not really a seasoned vet either.
    What about a defensive leader? Do we have anyone that fits that role? :icon_shrug:

3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I wish AJ would bring in someone to fill that role, it has worked for other teams in the past. It seems like he is hell bent on making a team of his draft picks.

4. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    No we don't we don't have anyone on the defensive side that knows what it takes to win.

Binn is the only player we got who's been to a Super Bowl.

5. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Hell Rodney Harrison is in the studio. I wonder if he still wants to suit up? Where is Derrick Brooks?

6. ChargerRay

Ratings:
    +867
    Seriously, their presence alone can elevate our players attitude and game.

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Junior Seau's spikes are always sharpened and ready...but after November only.

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Shouldn't the coaches be the leaders?

9. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    If Dielman blocks Lewis instead of running past him on our last play from scrimmage, we are probably not having this irrational conversation. We need better execution more than a bunch of old farts yelling at them over on the sidelines.

This is a talented football club. They will figure it out.

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I really think these discussions are not related to the score of the game. Even if we would have won there would still be room for much improvement.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hypotheticals don't win games...the hit on Sproles had Lady Luck and Ray Lewis written all over it. Ray Lewis took a chance and decided to run where he did...it just so happened the pulling guard wasn't in his way. That's why Lewis is the caliber of player he has been for such a long time. There are many times an instinctive sixth sense tells these upper tier players what do do and when....great play for Lewis and the Ravens..a real tough play for the Chargers.

When I saw that play I was astounded Lewis was able to come straight through that line and nail Sproles who had barely started to run....considering the importance of that one play to the outcome of the game. It was a great play from an objective point of view...if there had to be a spoiler...that play was it.

12. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    There is probably not a team in the entire AFC that can't say that. Cuddles and the Bears knock off the SB Champs. The holy Patriots get dumped by a rookie QB. The Titans are 0-2. Indy let the Fish run all over them last night. Despite their two wins, Baltimore was not convincing in either of them.

Or should we be fearing the Donkos because they beat the useless Browns after accepting a gift the week before?

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Well I think the Zebras spoiled it on the previous possession with that non-call on Chambers allowing the turnover to stand. Otherwise we are only down two and not gambling on 4th down.

We got ripped off. It happened in the 2nd game last year as well... and in the end it had no bearing on the playoffs... (which I don't think this will either).

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    There is a very distinct possibility there will be many surprises this season. Most telling that the league leaders are all smarting from losses. The Patriots were flat out awful...the Dolphins have to be wondering WTF after controlling the ball for 45 minutes, posting 23 points and losing...the Chargers got handled at home, Cutler put one on the Steelers, Drew Brees had a career game, the Titans, duh, and the Broncos...well....the Broncos...and so on.

It looks to be a very competitive season.....it should be great fun.

15. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You didn't get ripped off...you lost. It happens.

16. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    I couldn't agree with you more.

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

I have to agree with you here, looking back at past championship teams there is always a common thread. They seem to come up with that unbelievable game clincher that steals the game away.

The tuck rule helped your team out and look what happened, good fortune kept going their way. Hell go back to the Stiller's first one and you will find the immaculate reception.

18. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yeah....winners know how to win...it's like an inherent part of the formula....tough to explain...last night was a perfect example. Every Colts play during their total possession time of 15 minutes was a BIG play. Peyton Manning....wow.

The Dolphins came up with 23 points, 45 minutes of ball time, but no BIG play. That will probably haunt them for the entire season....if they couldn't win last night...what will it take? Sanchez came up with some HUGE plays against the Pats in the second half...the Jets will be dangerous all year...Sanchez looks as if he has that special something.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    That's what it takes, that special something and it isn't for sale at any price. When a team has it they own it, the proof is in the pudding.

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Derrick Brooks.

thread/

21. ChargersHooligan_22

ChargersHooligan_22 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    ledership may or may not be an issue. it looked as though people were stepping up, but a clear motivator i didnt see.

ideally i would like to see nearly every player as a beacon of leadership and self-motivation.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Yep, and I think that's the bottom line.

So far this year, neither the Pats nor the Chargers have demontrated they have that. I hope both teams get it together and start dominating again....but I have to tell you, both teams' windows of opportunity seem to be closing...other teams are building some competitive and some formidible teams. Teams have like four or five years to ride out and take advantage of that opportunity...then retirements, free agency, injuries, coaching changes, and all the other little intricacies of the game begin to sap whatever it is that creates the great ones...I think that may be happening this year.

I wouldn't even begin to be confident picking who will be in that Super Bowl next February, but I have a sneaking suspicion the Giants will represent the NFC.