1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Veterans love Chambers move

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Tuesday, Oct 16, 2007
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com

After Sunday’s win over the Oakland Raiders, LaDainian Tomlinson expressed a sense of satisfaction at how his team had enjoyed two successful weeks running against eight-man defensive fronts. Following the move the Chargers made Tuesday to acquire wide receiver Chris Chambers, Tomlinson believes he may not see near as many of those looks.

“Teams are going to really have to now choose if they want to play eight men in the box and leave those guys one-on-one,” Tomlinson said. “He’s going to take the pressure off a lot of us on this offense. In the famous words of (Terrell Owens), ‘get your popcorn ready.’”

With Chambers joining a group of offensive weapons that includes Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates and ascending wide receivers Vincent Jackson and Buster Davis, the Chargers are anxious to see how opponents try to defend them.

“Somebody is going to be one-on-one,” Gates said. “There are a lot of selfless guys on this offense. We love helping each other get open and the more playmakers you have, the easier it is to get open. Chris is a guy who can make plays and help other guys make plays.”

Head Coach Norv Turner informed the team of the move during meetings Tuesday morning and the news generated a buzz around the locker room.

“A lot of the guys are excited,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “He’ll add another dimension to the offense. I’m excited about it because of the experience. He’s not just an experienced receiver; he’s been a big time receiver in this league for a while now.”

Tomlinson knows Chambers from the time the two spent together at the scouting combine and other events leading up to the 2001 NFL Draft. They were also teammates in the Pro Bowl following the 2005 season. LT believes his new teammate will quickly mesh in the locker room and be a valuable piece of the puzzle.

“Chris is the type of guy that can fit in with a lot of teams,” Tomlinson said. “With this group I don’t think it will take long at all. We’re going to embrace him when he gets here. I think, from the start, he’s going to realize that he’s come to a good situation and a team that really is happy to have him.”

Chambers boarded a plane from Ft. Lauderdale Tuesday evening and is expected to join his new teammates for practice Wednesday afternoon. While he admitted the news caught him a little off guard, the seven-year veteran voiced a sense of excitement.

“It’s a really good opportunity for me,” Chambers said. “I’m ready to move on and get a fresh start to my career. I feel like I have a lot to offer and haven’t maximized my ability yet.”

Chambers called it a pleasure to join such a talented offense. He praised Eric Parker, who was placed on “Reserve – Injured” Tuesday to make room on the roster for Chambers, and said he hopes to mirror Parker’s intensity and work ethic.

“I’m going to try to bring that same toughness to the team,” Chambers said. “I’m willing to do whatever it takes. I consider myself a complete receiver. I feel like I can do it all. I’m going to take full advantage of my opportunities.”

Having spent two seasons with Turner and the past six months in the same offense under Cam Cameron, Chambers doesn’t believe he’ll be faced with much of a transition period.

“There may be a few (different) words here or there,” Chambers said. “All the routes are the same. Everybody runs the same routes. They maybe call it a little different. I pretty much know everything that’s going on right now.”

After fighting through an 0-6 start in Miami, Chambers joins a team that is tied for first place and in the middle of a fight for a second-consecutive division title. When asked what he hopes to accomplish with his new club, Chambers spoke exclusively of team goals.

“At this point in my career all I really just want to do is win,” Chambers said. “I feel like I can bring a lot to the team. I’m going to do everything I can to help them continue to be successful.”
  2. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Looking forward to seeing him on the field.

:abq2: :nana_dance: :abq2:

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2006
    Great move AJ
  4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

This could be really big for us. Having a legit deep threat? What's not to like? Now maybe we can spread the opposing defenses & get some room for LT to work his magic, plus have another target for PR.

Go get 'em, Cris!! :bolt: You're gonna love being a Charger!
  5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Aug 17, 2007
    Stoked to have this guy....!!! :yes: :bolt:

But why did LT have to say this... :icon_shrug:

This line backfired for TO!!! :unsure:
  6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Oh no, then it's certainly going to backfire here. :icon_sad: