1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vick support in last night's game.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Dec 11, 2007.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I can understand the players feeling they miss the Vick that they knew. As a friend and a teammate. Assuming of course that they were unaware of his off field actions.
    Though if I were a Falcons player and played a few season with Vick, I'd feel a little betrayed!!!!

I mean, I'm all up for sticking by your friends BUT if they let you down, it's quite a let down!!!
    I once stuck my neck out for a childhood friend as he was being accused for domestic abuse till I witnessed it. This was about 12 years ago.
    Last I heard, he ended up going to jail and I sure as Hell didn't make a shirt saying "Free Him" or do anything in his honor.
    Betrayal is the word and I have no association with him since.

If I were a die hard Falcons fan, I'd feel let down and never want to hear about Vick again.
    He'll never return to the Falcons so why would I?

Are these players and fans in denial or am I just in over my head with morality?

2. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    He betrayed them? I don't think betrayal is the right word. He got caught doing something illegal and now has to do some time. Plenty of guys do that, and much worse than dog-fighting. How was Vick supposed to know it would cost him 2 or 3 seasons? I would be pissed as hell if I was Vick, being turned into this center of evil when someone like Leonard Little is enjoying his freedom and paychecks after killing a PERSON, not a dog, and then getting let off the hook. It was an accident I understand, I doubt Little wanted to kill a lil' old lady. But then he goes out and gets busted AGAIN for DUI! Where's MADD? Is PETA that much more powerful than MADD? Little went out and endangered human lives by drinkin and drivin, after he already took one life.

I'm not supporting Vick's love for dog-fighting, I personally don't like it. I love pitbulls, but not for fighting. But I know the value of a human life over a dog's. That's why Vick's teammates should support him, because Vick got caught up in a media storm, when others who kill innocent people (Little, Jayson Williams), peddle weed and white (Nate Newton http://archives.cnn.com/2002/LAW/08/20/ctv.penalty.box/), and beat women ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20199030/, Ron Artest) get off with much, much, less, either in jail time or public scrutiny.

But for his fans, sometimes you see what you want to see; the great runs, the rocket arm, the td's. You're free to support your hero, even if he isn't really what you want him to be.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow:

Too many people wanted to see a rich black man fry. :yes:

The KKK of the 21st Century has arrived.

Hypocrites.

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The number of people he has let down is countless. Example: (I know my work isn't as important but) If I did something and was there for incarcerated... plenty of people would not get paid for their work, other people would never get the product they are expecting, and people who have worked with me would have their credibility tarnished.
    Look at the number of people who are depended on Vick!

He knew the risk he was taking!! If he was just attending dog fights, that would have been one thing but having your own dog fighting head quarters is asking for it!!!
    When you are a media figure, you lose some privacy. For good or bad, it comes with the job. If you can't handle it, do NOT accept the job!!!
    If me or you had something like that going, we would be less likely to be caught because we don't have paparazzis following us around to get stories.

I personally have no interest is seeing a dog fight but if I did, I'd just go to Mexico where I can see one legally.

Yes, I realize that there are people who have done worse and got away with it but that does NOT excuse his actions! Vick's lawyers just couldn't figure out a way to reverse the actions.

And yes, the fans and players are free to support Vick all they want but others are also free to disagree with them!!!
    Hell, lot's of people support Charlie Manson and feel he should be released. I'm not stopping them but I certainly disagree with them.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yup. If only Vick was a rich, white man... I would get "Free Mike Vick" tattooed on my chest and sport it everywhere I go!!! :rolleyes:

6. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    No I agree with u fully, he let down his teammates, his family (well, not Marcus), his friends, hell all of Dirty Bird Nation. But I don't think BETRAYED is the right term for it. I don't wanna be a word Nazi, but betray to me is to purposely go against your comrades, compadres, whatever you wanna call 'em, and spite them. As in a snitch, or a traitor. If I was steroid-filled McGwire, Canseco would've betrayed me by snitching on his own former teammate and telling that he helped stick needles in my @$$.

I don't think that's the case with Vick. Obviously Vick didn't dogfight so he could f' over Arthur Blank and the Falcones, but it just so happened that his love for another "sport" ruined his career, and the team's season. It's like Sticky Icky Ricky and the Dolphins, their hobbies ruined it for their teams. They would be both content in continuing their hobbies while helping their teams to the Super Bowl, if they had their way.

And yes, murdering those voiceless dogs, who couldn't show their displeasure in fighting for their lives just for the enjoyment of a bunch of Virginnie backwoods gamblers, was wrong and, in my opinion, kinda sick. Yeah, seeing stray dogs fight is cool once in a while, and I bet seeing lions and bears and bulls take on each other like in the gladiator days can be a real experience, but it still is kinda sick. Goriness can be fun to watch, especially if you're a kid, but I'd rather see it in Grand Theft Auto and the Discovery Channel than in real life, where they're forced to die for my amusement.

My point is Vick did something wrong and will have to pay for it, but he is seeing guys all around him in the League and in other sports do much, much worse and walk away with wrist slaps and small mentions somewhere in the back of the newspaper. All I'm saying is there has to be justice for all, why punish and make a big deal over silly, annoying TD dances but look the other way when a women is bruised and battered? I know it has to do with the league image, but they made an example of Pacman and Chris Henry, but Jared Allen gets very little for REPEATED drunk driving? Maybe if someone had made an example of Little, it wouldn't be an issue today. If Steve Foley had been punished properly the first time, maybe he would still be terrorizing QB's today.

If Vick is going to be a benchmark for disciplining athletes, so be it. But the next mention of domestic violence, drug trafficking, or other felonies better come with a STEEPER punishment than Vick had.

7. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm not sure about this whole racist thing. I wanna say it has nothing to do with it, but I don't know if I'd believe it totally. Maybe it has nothing to do with this case, and Vick would be treated the same whether white, black, or Houshmanzadeh, but I do believe it is a real issue in sports, especially football, as much as many people don't wanna hear about it.

I remember Dr. Z from Sports Ill wrote about one incident where he would, in his words, unintentionally interview primarily (maybe exclusively) white players in the locker room after the game. The black (I'm assuming there wasn't another race represented) players picked up on it, and began to shun the media. Finally, one black player, who was friendly with Zimmerman, told him what was up, and after he took the advice and interviewed a brotha, the tension that was created ceased. Moral of the story: even if you don't intentionally or knowingly feel or create a racist atmosphere, others may pick up on it. Just 'cuz you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good post. I must admit that, while detesting his actions re:dogfighting & his lying about involvement to the end, Vick did not harm a human being. Is he getting what he deserves? Well, the courts say so & I certainly believe he should be punished. But is it worth taking away his career & livelihood? Not so sure on that one. I have NO problem with his rep being forever tarnished, but to completely take away his career while others who have done as bad or worse get to continue theirs - I'm just not as certain about that one.

And those of you who think that Virginia is just a bunch of backwoods, redneck yahoos, especially my childhood home of Surry County, don't know what the phuc you're talking about & can KMA. Maybe I should start calling all west-coasters a bunch of tree-hugging, granola-eating, pinko fags??? :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I agree with a lot of what is being said in this thread, but I think the word "betrayal" is relevant to this situation. But it applies most directly to Vick's relationship with Arthur Blank. Blank gave Vick everything. He made him the face of his organization and gave him a $100+ million contract. He supported Vick through ever indiscretion and idiotic media report and he literally pushed the guy around in a wheelchair when he couldn't walk. But above all else he had enough respect for Mike Vick to sit him down and allow him to explain his involvement in this whole situation and he had his back. Blank battled for Michael Vick at every turn and Vick looked him in the eye and straight up lied to him. That, in my mind, constitutes betrayal. I don't know whether that necessarily equals betraying the team or the fans or the city. But there is no question that Michael Vick totally dissed and betrayed Arthur Blank.

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    As I'm sure you realized, I was being sarcastic.

But as you stated... I don't believe things would have been different if Vick was Caucasian, Hispanic, Asian, etc. either.

Does race does play some parts in sports? Well, there was a time when Minorities were not allowed to play in professional sports.
    As for today... I could be wrong but I just don't see it. What I see is in the interest level. Example: There aren't many athletes in NHL that are not Caucasian. Again, I could be wrong but I can't imagine there are many African-American, Hispanic or Asian athletes that try out for NHL.

11. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm a deciple of the prophet in regards to other things, BUT your defense of that POS is just sad, I don't give a rat's *** what color this ahole is, thw guy killed dogs for plesure, that should be enough to at least dislike the guy yet you keep defending him as if he where a martyr :tdown:

I don't want to see a rich black man fry, I want to see a rich POS man fry :tup:

12. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I live here and I neve knew they where legal here, it's not like they are advertised like boxing matches or so :icon_shrug:

Cockfighting is legal though (which I find just as deplorable)

13. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd have no problem with Vick loosing EVERYTHING he has, hope he burns in hell (figuretive speach as I don't believe in hell)

you just said it so I guess you can K everybodies A in California :icon_shrug: if I where called a "speek" or "******" by a black man I would turn around and called every black person a "N".

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    They took away Muhammad Ali's career and his ability to earn a living for a helluva lot less than what Vick did.

15. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    The thing is...
    Mike Vick had no business doing this. Making millions and millions to play a game, he got caught. I dont feel sorry for him. He did this to himself. Understand once your famous, you have a certain way of living in society, if he likes it or not. Thats just the way it is. He did let down alot of people. He let down family, friends, his team, the NFL. He knew what he was doing. If he was just betting, then maybe its a different story. But supporting the fights, holding the fights, killing the dogs. It makes him look dirty. This is a grown man. He had to of known the consequences if he was to get caught. His homies ratted him out. Now he is behind bars for the next 2 years. Yes it sucks but I'm sure if I asked 100 people if they would love to make millions working 6 months out of the year, each and every one of them would not mind it. Some NFL players take their job for shiet. Im glad we have LT to showcase as ONE OF THE BEST ON AND OFF THE FIELD PLAYERS IN THE NFL.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Well Said!!! :yes: :tup: :clap:

17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I agree with you 100%. I love my dog and he is trully a part of our family but Vick really got a raw deal here. Why isn't anyone going after hunters? I don't see much of a difference between dog fighting and hunting. I don't consider hiding in bushes and ambushing unsuspecting deer a sport.

Vick got a done in by the masses plain and simple. he's a monster now and it's sad really.

I don't see anyting wrong with his teamates and fans supporting him. He's got enough people hating on him as it is why does everyone feel like he's got to suffer for the rest of his life? Are we not supposed to forgive people? Cut the guy a break already his life is sh*t as it is now. Dumping on him more and telling everyone how bad he is doesn't make anyone seem logical or even moral. It does the exact opposite.

18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I don't hunt, and I completely agree that hunting isn't a sport, but come on. You can't equate dog fighting to hunting.

Part of hunting is providing food for one's family, so there is at least some redeeming aspect.

Dogfighting is nothing but a bunch of dudes standing around watching, and betting on two dogs tearing the **** out of each other. Other dogs are f*cked up and killed in the training of the fighting dogs.

Hunting is a legal activity, dog fighting is not.

Is Vick being overly vilified? Perhaps, but let's not pretend like he is a poor innocent victim here.

19. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I agree with most of your post, but sometimes women just don't listen.

20. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    It probably doesn't help my point but I did laugh at this.

21. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Ya I feel pretty much the same way about what they're doing to his career. He definitely deserves a stiff punishment, but why so much harsher compared to others who have done so much worse?

And about the backwoods Virginia comment, ur rite I don't know what I'm talkin about wit VA. Never been there, don't know anyone personally from there, and probably will never go there. But what I said was "Virginnie backwoods gamblers," cuz in the trial it said that the dogfighting was literally taken place in a rural route house in the woods. No disrespect for Virginians intended. I know Allen Iverson, Michael and Marcus Vick, Aaron Brooks, and the rap group the Clipse are all from there, and I obviously don't think they're a bunch of redneck yahoos. But to tell u the truth, I don't know if VA is more similar to Kentucky, Michigan, or fukin Alaska; But I never said they were country bumpkins or anything like that. I can kinda see why u thought i wrote that, but that would be wrong. So if I were u I'd hold off on calling us Cali boys "pinko fags," whatever that means.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eh, guess I'm still pretty sore that many folks only know of my home by it's notoriety in the Vick story. I do hear a fair amount of reference to Virginians as hillbilly rednecks, but that's OK.

I didn't particularly take offense at your remarks, just felt I'd throw it back. No harm intended. Hope we're all good. :tup:

BTW, a pinko is a leftist, some say Commie. You know what a *** is. :lol: