1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Videogamers show signs of addictive behavior: study

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kwak, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    This falls into the "No **** Sherlock" or in his case "No **** Dr David Walsh"

Back in the 80s kids would ditch to go to the Video Arcade.

When EverQuest came out, it didn't take long before it was referred to as "EverCrack". There are even online groups called "EverQuest Widows".

Guess this genius just woke up...

NEW YORK (Reuters) -

About one in 10 videogame players show signs of addictive behavior that could have negative effects on their family, friends and school work, according to a new study.

Researchers at Iowa State University (ISU) and the National Institute on Media and the Family found that some gamers show at least six symptoms of gambling addiction such as lying to family and friends about how much they play games, using the games to escape their problems and becoming restless or irritable when they stop playing.

They may also skip homework to play videogames or spend too much time playing the games and do poorly in school.

"While the medical community currently does not recognize video game addiction as a mental disorder, hopefully this study will be one of many that allow us to have an educated conversation on the positive and negative effects of video games," Dr Douglas Gentile, an assistant professor of psychology at ISU, said in a statement.

Dr David Walsh, the president of the National Institute on Media and the Family which strives to minimize the harm of media on the health and development of children and families, said the findings are a wake-up call for families.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    i'd respond but i'm off to go play video games, so yeah

3. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    In related news...

Studies show that some adults that regularly post on message boards are showing signs of not wanting to get their work done but instead post mindless dribble about their favorite game, food or sports team...

I would post more but my boss is coming :lol:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not adicted. I can quit any time, I just choose not to.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Rehab is for quitters. :icon_eek: :lol:

• Like Like x 1