1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

View from the Top with Dean Spanos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 11, 2009

With the start of the 2009 season just days away, Chargers President Dean Spanos shares his thoughts on the team in an exclusive Chargers.com interview.

Well, the season is finally here.
    “I’m really looking forward to the season. We’re starting off healthy, which has been a problem for us the last couple of years. Now everybody seems to be ready to go, so I can’t wait for Monday night against the Raiders.”

What are you most looking forward to seeing this season?
    “I’m really interested in seeing how Shawne Merriman[​IMG] comes back after his injury. It’s a long process for him and it might take him a little while, but I’m looking forward to him having a great year. LT has had a couple injuries that last two years. I’d love to see him start off healthy and fast and have a great year. It’s just going to be good to see everyone start out healthy.”

A lot of people outside the organization have very high expectations for the team and are talking Super Bowl. How does that make you feel?
    “I don’t think a whole lot about it because it’s just talk. Right now I know the key for us is to get off to a good start this week. I’ve always believed it’s important that we don’t look too far down the road; just focus on the game we’re playing this week. I know it’s a little redundant, but everybody is saying it here: let’s just worry about Monday night and then we’ll worry about the following week. The goal is the same for all 32 teams, but to get to the postseason and give yourself a chance to get to the Super Bowl, you have to do it one game at a time.”

What kind of team do you expect to see on the field Monday night and during the season?
    “I expect to see a very mature team. Many of these players have been playing together for the last four or five years. There’s a strong talent base, a great foundation here. This will be (Head Coach) Norv’s (Turner) third year here and I think he’s done an outstanding job under some difficult situations. We started slowly the last couple of years, but we’ve finished strong in December and won some playoff games. I think that’s all part of the maturing process. I’m really looking forward to watching this team take the next step.”

There was a lot of talk this week about the incident involving Shawne Merriman, which the District Attorney’s office just dismissed. Do you think it has been a distraction to the team?
    “I clearly don’t think it’s been a distraction at all. Norv has a good feel for the team and handles these types of situations extremely well. I think everyone is clearly focused on Monday night. This has not been a distraction.”

Though the public excitement surrounding the team is high, none of the home games are sold out yet. How concerned are you about that?
    “Obviously this is not business as usual. The economy is affecting all of us. We’ve been sensitive to it and tried to address it as best we can. We didn’t raise ticket prices and, in fact, lowered prices on many seats when we quadrupled the size of our Family Section, which contains our most affordable seats. We’ve offered our season ticket holders a more convenient payment schedule. Our staff has been extremely aggressive and proactive in its sales efforts. I still believe that the fans are going to come out because we offer a great experience and a great product on the field.”

This past Wednesday you attended the premiere of The Complete History of the San Diego Chargers. What did you think of the enthusiasm of the fans who attended the event and what are your thoughts on the film?
    “The enthusiasm was incredible. There were more than 2,500 people there for the first showing, which is unbelievable. It was exciting seeing fans from every era. I saw some fans who have been season ticket holders since the 1960’s and there were a lot of current season ticket holders there. I thought the movie was really well done in that it touched every era and phase of the 50-year history of the Chargers. Everybody has their heroes and favorite players and memories and I think it covered them all. No one captures the action and emotion of sports like NFL Films.”

The team has numerous events scheduled for the 50th Anniversary celebration. Is there one event in particular that you’re looking forward to?
    “I’m excited to see the 50 greatest Chargers when we introduce them at our Block Party downtown on Nov. 27. It’s Thanksgiving weekend and we’re having a huge block party downtown. It’s going to be fun to see all of the former players come back. It’s going to be a great event to culminate our 50th anniversary. The fans are going to have a great time.”

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man - wish I could be there for the block party weekend. :unsure:

3. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I'm eager to see the 50year anniversary film - hope to get it on european DVD. But a party at San Diego would be great too
    wish my Eurobolts a good travel.

4. creeboltz

creeboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    :bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt:

Hey Dean,

Instead of a big block party downtown (although it could be cool) Why don't we "culminate" the 50-th. Anniversary Celebration with......I don't know??????? HHMMMMM????

MAYBE A SUPERBOWL WIN!!!!!

What do ya think DEANO????????

:bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt: