1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vikes fans aggressively show Favre love

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Vikings fans use billboard persuasion for Favre

Last summer, coaches and players lobbied Brett Favre to join the Minnesota Vikings through text messages, phone calls and in-person visits.

This year, the public has started the persuasion process for them.

Driven to show their appreciation for Favre's storied first season with Minnesota, a group of Vikings fans has taken out advertising space on a digital billboard near the 40-year-old quarterback's home in Hattiesburg, Miss.

"Hey No. 4, do Minnesota fans love you and want you back next year? You Brettcha!" the message reads.

The ad came from a Facebook group that has grown to more than 122,000 people as of Wednesday. It's well short of the 4 million fans the group's title declares as a goal, but full of contributed photos, videos and posted messages from the fans to be mailed to Favre. Jay Tappe of Minneapolis decided to create the group the day after the Vikings lost to the New Orleans Saints in the NFC championship game.

"We never really got to give Brett a good send-off or a standing ovation or anything, because they finished the season on the road," Tappe said. "My thought was to put up a billboard that he sees every morning."

They've got a separate Web site for fundraising, vikesfans4favre.com, which reached the $2,600 needed to keep the billboard up for the month. Leftover money will be donated to the foundation of Favre's wife, Deanna, which helps disadvantaged women in their fight against breast cancer.

Tappe is trying to get her to start a chapter in Minnesota, too, and see if Vikings defensive end Jared Allen will record a video encouraging fans to join the cause. Allen, who nicknamed Favre "The Silver Fox," was one of his biggest fans in a locker room that welcomed him warmly after he called off retirement for the second straight year and signed with the Vikings.

So, can a billboard really help Favre make up his mind?

"It's ultimately his decision," Tappe said. "We don't want to be the ones that are pressuring to come back. We just want to say, 'Thank you.' He made a lot of new fans pay attention to Vikings football, and with the old fans everyone couldn't believe how great a season it was."

On the same Hattiesburg highway, U.S. 98, is another billboard with a similar message.

That one was purchased by Twin Cities sports radio station KFAN, which broadcasts the team's games and has a regular slate of Vikings-related programming.

"Dear Brett, Deanna and family: Thanks for coming to Minnesota. We'd love to have you back. Vikings fans 4-ever," the message reads, similarly using Favre's jersey number as a stand-in.

There's a commercial purpose for KFAN behind the ad, but the station wanted to send some good will too.

"Our main goal is just to do this on behalf of Vikings fans," promotions director Tim Hyde said. "It's a family decision for him, so we kind of directed the message at his family as well."

The KFAN plan is to keep the ad up for February at a cost of $1,800. It's not digital, hence the lower price from the other one.

For now, Vikings fans can only wait and hope. After the season Favre had at age 40, though, it's clear that he's wanted a year after skepticism about his health and his motivation.

"I honestly had pretty low expectations for the season," said Minneapolis mayor R.T. Rybak said. "I sheepishly admit that I thought getting Brett Favre was a bad idea. I was wrong. I didn't think he had it in him. He showed really the whole idea of what it is to be a winner."

AP

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Favrah... Just retire already...

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Q: What do people in Hattiesburg do at night to pass the time?

A: Try to figure out how to pronounce Brett's last name.

Pointy :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Link to Video

Favre offers no hints about future in thank-you note

Vikings QB Brett Favre left a thank-you note to his fans on his official Web site, acknowledging their support during his 19th season. What Favre didn’t leave were hints about his future intentions. Instead, he was rather vague about a possible return to the NFL.
    “Regardless of what the future holds, I want everyone to know that I will cherish the memories of the past year for the rest of my life,” Favre wrote.
    Another summer of indecision could be inevitable, though Favre admitted during his national television commercials for a popular department store that he “hates those guys” who can’t make up their mind.
    However, fans seemingly can’t get enough of the Favre story. A recent poll of more than 100,000 NFL.com users showed that 34 percent believe Favre’s possible return is the most interesting offseason storyline, outdistancing labor negotiations (24 percent), possible new teams for Eagles QB Michael Vick (16 percent), Panthers DE Julius Peppers (14 percent), and the draft status of Tim Tebow (12 percent).
    But for right now, NFL Network’s Scott Hanson isn’t camped out in front of Favre’s home in Hattiesburg, Miss.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/11/favre-offers-no-hints-in-thank-you-note/

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Hey Julius Peppers, I bet you would look great in one of these = :helm3:

6. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I am still in shock reading Vikings and Brett Favre in the same sentence. Its like the Twilight Zone still.

Vikings fans got a taste of a Superbowl caliber team, and yet came up short but seem super happy with their success....yet most Charger fans (like myself) are completely sad we came up short with our Superbowl caliber team... talk about a difference...next year though eh.

I hope Favre returns hehe, he makes Cult fans mad with his consecutive start streak...once he retires Manning will pass him up so until then hes like a thorn in their side...:D

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    If my team's other option was Sage Rossenfield or Tavaris Jackson I'd beg him to come back as well. :lol:

8. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Hmmmmm.....and what IS your team's option after Rivers? :icon_tease:

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Billy Volek is better than anyone you have behind Brady. :lol: :icon_tease: :trout:

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    In each of Brett's last two NFCCG he was responsible for throwing the game killing INT.

He's coming back.

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    There's no question rivers is coming back where that's not the case with favre

12. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Its true, Billy Volek is awesome. The guy went in with Michael Turner and silenced the Indy crowd a couple years back in the playoffs....then Indy ended their year by destroying that stadium for a new one....lol

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    He beat up on the Redskins in the meaningless week 17 game as well. :yes:

15. ShockTheWorld

ShockTheWorld BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Billy does his part....wish Michael Turner was around...LT and him worked real well.

Hoping for something next year in the RB department.