1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

"Vikings prepared to make offer for Vincent Jackson."

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Another soft deadline for a Vincent Jackson trade
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 16, 2010 3:01 PM ET
    Vincent Jackson could play in the fifth game of the season if he's traded, but he has to be traded soon for that to happen.

Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network has the entire NFL statement on Jackson's situation, which has a few interesting wrinkles to it.

1. As part of the settlement, a moratorium will be in effect from now until 4 p.m. ET on Friday, September 17. In the meantime, any team interested in Jackson must receive permission from the Chargers before talking contract with Jackson's agents. A trade can't be worked out with the Chargers until the moratorium is over.

2. Jackson is eligible to play in the fifth game of the season if he's traded to a new team if he signs and is traded by 4PM ET on September 22.

3. If Jackson is not traded by 4 p.m. ET on September 22, he will serve the remainder of his three-game suspension and be placed on roster exempt until the day following the third game scheduled after the date he actually reports, regardless of any subsequent trade.

So a trade has to happen between Friday and Wednesday or any interested team loses out on two possible games from Jackson.

The Chargers still have all the control here. They can trade with who they want to. If, say, the Rams offered the highest draft pick to San Diego, then the Chargers may only allow Jackson to talk contract with them. Even if he really wants to go elsewhere.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The bull **** precedent is over the head of everyone but a few brainwashed people on this board. Not a single national person thinks it makes any sense. Sitting on players rather than trading them just to prove a point makes no sense no matter how you spin it. If we don't trade him by next weeks deadline, he will not be traded and it will be because AJ want's to prove a point and is willing to put the success of the team on the back burner

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    But he offered a long term deal to Gates why Gates was holding out. He didn't say "Sign you one year tender, or don't play" which is what he has told both VJ and McNeil

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    My point is he took money off the table. It will be put back if/when they sign. Gates was not facing a lockout year and uncertanty in the CBA. Jackson and McNeil are.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    So the team should just bend over and give VJ whatever he wants instead? **** THAT.

I'm glad you're not in charge.

Also, it's funny how quickly fans forget about people wanting VJ CUT just a few years back, VJ's CONSTANTLY bruised vagina or his lack of ability to catch with his hands, not to mention he's a drunk and an idiot on the field sometimes *coucgh*spikedballvsraiders*cough*kickedflagvsjets*cough*.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Mike Shanahan won't rule out pursuing Vincent Jackson

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 16, 2010 5:53 PM ET
    There are still more than 22 hours left until a league-sanctioned moratorium on a possible Vincent Jackson trade runs out. It's still possible Jackson's agents may hear the four most magical words in the business: "The Redskins are interested."

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan wouldn't rule out going after Vincent Jackson when asked on Thursday. Although he didn't really say much.

"We'll always be trying to upgrade our football team, if that presented itself. We have people evaluating different people on teams all the time."

It's believed the Seahawks, Rams, and Vikings have shown interest in talking to Jackson in the past. Jackson is eligible to return in the fifth game of the season if he's traded by next Wednesday, which could get more teams interested.

Perhaps watching one game of Joey Galloway, Anthony Armstrong, and Roydell Williams opposite Santana Moss has Shanahan more interested than he was a few weeks ago.

ProFootballTalk.com

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He didn't, he threatened to. He never even put money on the table for these guys to turn down. The contract he offered Gates was a 5 year deal which put him in the top 5 paid TE's in the league. I don't blame him for threatening to pull it of the table. But with McNeil and VJ, he told them "Sign your tender and wait till next year to see if you get a new deal". That isn't going to go very far when you don't give yourself any room to negotiate

And the CBA uncertainty is complete BS. They wouldn't have given Rivers $90+ mil last year and won't have made Gates the highest paid TE a year early if it was. This is all about showing them that AJ has a bigger crank than the players

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I never said they should give them what every they want. I said sit down at a damn table and NEGOTIATE a deal. Both sides will need to make concessions, but as long as the Chargers aren't even willing to negotiate, nothing will get done.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Why should the Chargers negotiate and give in to his ridiculous demands? That's the point you're failing to get over and over. THE TEAM HAS ALL THE LEVERAGE and we DO NOT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS, especially stupid drunk ones.

**** VJ.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    I vote just give the bastard a one year deal. Field the best team possible, go for the Super Bowl........pretty much do exactly what the Vikings are trying to do.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I beleive bridges have been burned. Plus we have the wr's that can do the job. What made us loose in that last game was a terrible sloppy field. And some dumb play calling by norv at the end. Should have pounded it in instead of getting fancy on a sloppy field.

Be very nice to go into next year with good draft picks to land good players we'll need for next year and the future.

12. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    That's my train of thought. Do whatever it takes to win this year.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What is ridiculous about wanting a contract that is more than 1 year? All he has ever publicly said is that he wants a long term deal. He has never said he wants to be the top paid guy in the league or even top 5, all he has said is he wants more than a 1 year deal. I don't see how that is ridiculous

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I couldn't really care less about VJ other than that I think the team handled the situation wrong and should have had him traded 2-3 months ago.

My beef is with McNeil and the fact that they are treating the guy they claim to want here long term, the same way they are treating the guy who they don't want here at all. If you want McNeil, as they have said, then open up negotiations. No one says you have to give him everything he wants, but open up negotiations for something more than a 1 year offer.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    in that case we need a better center and someone who can improve our pass rush. Were fine wr wise and left tackle wise. Trade the two holdouts for what we need.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    you need to tell that to jacksons and mcneils agents. THey are the ones holding up the trades. Just a guess about mcneil. The chargers and evidently alot of other teams are worried about something with him. Have to guess its his medical condition.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We may be fine at LT, but we are not at RT, and that is where Dumbo would/should be playing if McNeil was here. Overall, our line would significantly improve. We would improve at most tackle spots by getting McNeil in here. Clary looked terrible against a terrible KC defense. When we go against a descent defense, he is going to get even worse. Clary is horrible and doesn't belong on the field, let alone as a starter. Getting McNeil in here isn't about Left tackle, it is about Right Tackle.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If the Chargers are worried about McNeils back, which is pretty lame excuse sincet he guy has only missed 2 games in 4 years, then do what the Jets did with D'Brick's contract and limit the guarantees in case of injury. It is possible, but it takes the team sitting down and being willing to negotiate, something they have refused to do.

McNeil has never asked for a trade, never asked o speak to another team, and the Chargers have never let another team speak to him (other than the 2.5 months at the beginning of the off season, when they wanted a 1st and 3rd, which push all teams away). So there is no reason to say he is holding up a deal, when one has never even been rumored about. And as for VJ, his tender is the only power he has. He isn't holding up a deal, he is waiting for the best deal to come forth. The Chargers are the ones limiting the trade possibilities by limiting the teams that can talk to him. For him to sign his tender, he will want a new deal, and he can't work out a deal unless the new team is allowed to talk to him.

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Everything is spot on except for this.

Dombroski goes down (and he really hasn't proven **** yet to this fan at LT) we are fuc't. There is a 6'2" midget or some small gnome who thinks he can play LT as a backup and I forget his name. This team is on the verge of collapse by losing either a RT or LT right now. Screwed.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    A carne burrito and something cold to wash it down would be a fair trade. Just get rid of Jackoffson and be done with it.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree. The controversy surrounding this team as long as he is here, is not good. I am sure the players are sick and tired of having t answer questions every day about VJ and MM.

It isn't a difficult situation, if you want one or both long term, then sit down a negotiate a deal that is mutually beneficial. If you don't want them long term, trade their *** and lets move on

22. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I don't think Jackoffson would have benefited by signing and getting to camp, but from what Deano said, if they signed and came in we'd see what might happen. They screwed themselves, I have no ill feeling towards the club.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    First, they have to sign their tender otherwise; there is nothing to talk about.

Second, the team does not have to have its arm twisted or gun put to its head into signing the player long term this year by the player holding out or not siging the tender.

The CBA said what was fair and equitable compensation for these players for one year of their service. If they do not like that deal then they have the right to sit out.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dean can say what ever he wants now, fact is right before the deadline AJ publicly said "Play for $3.2 million, and let’s see what happens at the end of the year with us". It is easy for Dean to say some cryptic crap now that he knows people will take one way, while not committing to anything, but if he wants them, then say "Sign your tender and we will discuss a new deal". He didn't say that.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    They do NOT have to sign their tender until they want to sign their tender. That tender is the only control they have.

The fact that the teams feels like they are having a gun put to their head, rather than seeing it as compensating a deserving player, is very telling about the childish mentality they have.

26. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I did not say they HAD to sign their tenders. They have a right to sit out instead. I have always said this.

This is not about ego. This is a business.

How would you like an employee come to you after you have given them a raise which their union collectively bargained for on behalf of all the players in the NFL as being fair and the employee's response is telling you to your face "bullshit, I am going home ?"

............. And by the way, the tender is NOT the only control the team has. The team OWNS the players rights exclusively so that million dollar investment goes nowhere unless daddy says so. I own that *** is what it boils down to.

27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Oh see I thought AJ minimized their tenders. Pretty sure he did. Might want to look into it.

28. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I like to think AJ has a plan. Though he is not the most tactful GM, he usually has a reason for what he is doing. Some in the media (Quacksaw, the morning idiots, and others) as well as many fans think the simple solution is to just sign both VJ and MM. While that would be nice for this season, I don't know that it is the best long term plan. If the team spends 20+ mil per year on these two and rewards the guys who hold out, then what do we do next year when these guys are free agents....

QB Billy Volek UFA
    WR Legedu Naanee UFA
    TE Randy McMichael UFA
    OT Jeromey Clary UFA
    DL Jacques Cesaire UFA
    DL Travis Johnson UFA
    LB Antwan Applewhite RFA
    LB Kevin Burnett UFA
    LB Stephen Cooper UFA
    LB Brandon Siler UFA
    FS Paul Oliver UFA
    FS Eric Weddle UFA

and in 2012...

WR Patrick Crayton UFA
    WR Buster Davis UFA
    P Mike Scifres UFA
    C David Binn UFA
    C Nick Hardwick UFA
    DL Alfonso Boone UFA
    DL Antonio Garay UFA
    CB Donald Strickland UFA

I am not saying all of these guys will or should be re-signed, but the defense could be devastated over the next two seasons if AJ does not plan ahead. I don't claim to have the answers to how to keep the team competative for the next decade, but maybe AJ thinks he can sign 4-5 of the guys listed above for the price of a drunken wide receiver and a very good tackle with health concerns who have shown they are not really very interested in being on the team.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Damn!, I thought I'd login this morning to find VJ traded for a 2nd round pick, what's going on!?. I'd be hopeful that with VJ gone the team brass would start looking seriously at getting McNeill back into the fold. You know what though I have a feeling that Tyrone Green might actually be a player who could seriously start at LT sometime down the line. Whatever about his height, I really like his wingspan. What I've seen of him as a Tackle I've liked.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I thought you were talking about Gates, since that is who you were trying to use as your example, which doesn't hold up since the situations were totally different and the offers from the team were completely different. When Gates was holding out, the Chargers offered Gates a 5 year deal which made him one of the top 5 paid TE's. Big difference between a 5 year deal for top 5 money, and a 1 year deal for less than half of what the top 5 get, big difference.

I will say it again, If you want one or both of them, then NEGOTIATE a deal to keep them. If not, trade them ASAP. But sitting on them to prove a point is childish