1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vincent Brown officially added to IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers will use new IR designation on Vincent Brown
    Posted by Josh Alper on September 4, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
    Teams are allowed to start using the new “Designated to Return” injured reserve tag on Tuesday and the Chargers will be taking advantage of it.

The team will announce later Tuesday that they will place wide receiver Vincent Brown on injured reserve Tuesday with the designation in place that allows him to return after spending eight weeks on the list and at least six weeks away from practice. The team can activate Brown at any time after those eight weeks or they could just leave him on injured reserve if they don’t feel he’s recovered enough to return.

Brown broke his ankle in the Aug. 18 preseason game against the Cowboys and the word was it would take him about eight weeks to recover from the injury. That makes him a perfect candidate for the new designation and gives the Chargers the freedom to use the roster spot for a player that can help them until Brown is ready to return.

There was a lot of buzz about an increased role for Brown in the San Diego offense over the offseason, which makes the timing particularly bad for the 2011 third-round pick. He had 19 catches and two touchdowns as a rookie, numbers that were projected to rise after the Chargers moved on from a Vincent Jackson-dominated receiving corps.

------------
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Chargers been quiet adding depth at tackle and cornerback. Team can now place Vincent Brown on IR, freeing up roster spot for a move.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's a damn shame for VB, but we do need the roster spot & there's a chance he can make it back this year.

3. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Yea it will be great to be able to bring him back later this season and the roster spot can be put to good use.....any prospects that jump out to anyone off hand to fill the roster spot? A cornerback?

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think this spot will likely go to a RB or a lineman. The O-line depth on the team is abominable right now, and our RB situation is dicy until Mathews returns. Besides, are there even any CBs out there to pick up?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    RB?...... I doubt it. Mathews will be back soon, and the LT position is the most critical. CB depth is a concern, but not as big.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Gotta be a lineman but who is out there that we could bring in?

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    Chargers announce they've signed tackle Kevin Haslam to practice squad. Raiders waived him last week.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Lydon Murtha is out there. No idea what his situation is.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I have never understood why the NFL never had a DL like baseball does. Have a 3 and 6 game DL would only make sense

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Hallelujah WE'RE SAVED!! :abq2:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Makes even more sense if Goodell gets the 18 game season he wants.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Did the Earth move for you too? :D

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If he gets that, it would also make sense to expand rosters and have everyone active, rather than only 45 per week. Having a 60 player roster, with all 60 available to play, and some DL designations, would definitely help with the health of players. But it would also increase salaries and retirement, since the active designation is used for some players bonuses and retirement benefits, at least from what I have heard

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    20 game season and 80 man active roster...or leave as is. :whistling:

15. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that the NFL will likely try to expand the league before expanding the rosters.

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    The organization probably picked this guy up to get the lowdown on the raydurs plans this coming Monday. Plus, maybe he can actually provide some protection on the O-line...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    If he's giving us Raiders' intel, I hope Norv bought him some crayons.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Okay, I admit, I was feeling pretty crappy about the 2012 season after
    Mathews and Vincent Brown went down in the first two "exhibitions."
    (and let's not even add the lack of progress re. the "professional athlete's" spasming)

But when you look around the league, at how many guys have been lost for the year,
    and consider that the new "Designated To Return" IR rule seems so helpful,
    that it appears that it may have been written BY V. Brown...well...optimism in rebound mode!

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    RB isn't what its going to be, because if we sign another RB, it will be in place of Battle/Brink, theres no way we carry 5 RB's.

There's only 2 positions that this spot even possibly will go to...and thats a vet CB or a vet OT. Right now i'm gonna go ahead and say its a backup OT. I think we could cut someone for a Vet CB, but not for another week or so, so i'm assuming that we cut a RB, once Mathews is fully healthy. So i'm nearly positive that we use this spot for an OT. In doing that, i also think that we wait until tomorrow (i think) because if we wait till after the season opener, there's no guaranteed contracts, so we can cut them whenever Gaither gets healthy or when Brown gets back.

21. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    We could've had just that in D-Flo, but your harsh opposition swayed management from making the move. :(

22. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Then you should all thank me for my harsh opposition! :abq2:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hardly. Hang on to the past all you want - he would have made a decent addition to this secondary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    But he headbutted a guy!

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With our current refs, he just might have gotten away with it too. ;)

26. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Is that after the first game of the season (tomorrow) or after the team's first game of the season (tuesday) ?

Edit: I would think it's after the last game of week 1, anything else would put the Chargers at a disadvantage, Imagine the giants and cowboys making moves tomorrow, everybody else on monday and the Chargers on tuesday